PDA

View Full Version : Dome light fixtures over sofa

chollahan
10-18-2017, 01:46 PM
I have two opaque glass dome light fixtures with silver bases with a push button on/off switch on the base. They are over the sofa. Neither will turn on. The problem is that I can not figure out how to access the bulb. I have checked for set screws, tried to rotate the dome, nothing.

Anyone know the secret as how to get the domes off and access the bulbs?

2010 rp3812.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171019/e8742af3bfee7d3b394d0b1f00d543b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

earlzach
10-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Look for fuse first. Both on same line sounds more like a fuse. But if your certain it's a bulb try you tube.

chollahan
10-19-2017, 04:17 AM
Look for fuse first. Both on same line sounds more like a fuse. But if your certain it's a bulb try you tube.

All the fuses looked and tested good. Tried YouTube, only found info about the standard plastic dual bulb lights.

SteveC7010
10-19-2017, 04:50 AM
How about posting a pic of the fixtures? There are a lot of different decorative light fixtures in common and widespread use in RV's these days, and I am sure that one of us will recognize it and know how to open them.

chollahan
10-19-2017, 11:31 AM
How about posting a pic of the fixtures? There are a lot of different decorative light fixtures in common and widespread use in RV's these days, and I am sure that one of us will recognize it and know how to open them.

Added pic of light to original post.

bobbecky
10-19-2017, 11:35 AM
On our Montana, we have a large light fixture above the sofa and one above the dining table. One is 120 volts and the other is 12 volts. On both, there is a round ball shaped nut at the bottom in the center, and you just unscrew that ball shaped nut to remove the glass. You may also have a remote switch that controls these lights, but of course, there is likely no labels on any to tell you where that switch might be.

chollahan
10-19-2017, 11:38 AM
On our Montana, we have a large light fixture above the sofa and one above the dining table. One is 120 volts and the other is 12 volts. On both, there is a round ball shaped nut at the bottom in the center, and you just unscrew that ball shaped nut to remove the glass. You may also have a remote switch that controls these lights, but of course, there is likely no labels on any to tell you where that switch might be.

I’ll try the switch. Didn’t think about that. The only unlabeled switch is a single wall switch that controls the ceiling fan. I’ll turn fan on and work individual switches on globes and see if that does it.

gkainz
10-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Is that one of those that the globe is secured with the spring loaded wire clips inside the globe? Does the globe pull straight down?

chollahan
10-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Is that one of those that the globe is secured with the spring loaded wire clips inside the globe? Does the globe pull straight down?

Don’t know. I’ll see if I can see Springs in there or try to gently pry them. I’d be surprised if they were. I’ve tried twisting them to see if they spin off, but they didn’t budge. I would think Springs wouldn’t have enough tension to keep the globe from rotating.

sourdough
10-19-2017, 02:36 PM
Don’t know. I’ll see if I can see Springs in there or try to gently pry them. I’d be surprised if they were. I’ve tried twisting them to see if they spin off, but they didn’t budge. I would think Springs wouldn’t have enough tension to keep the globe from rotating.

I've not had the spring style globe in an rv but I did buy a house once that had them - I hated them. Be careful trying to get the globe off if the glass is thin and it does have springs. I eventually just broke the lights that I had to get rid of the springs and put more user friendly fixtures in:D .

You might also try to rotate the base and see if it has some sort of flange on the bottom (mounted to the ceiling) that the globe and base twist on to.

SteveC7010
10-19-2017, 03:07 PM
I have similar fixtures in my home. The glass part does twist off. There's a bit of a detent in the track so you have to push up slightly as you rotate the dome.

chollahan
10-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Ok. Just an FYI, no springs. Looks like there are indents in the globe base ring to fit over nubs on the metal base. I still can not move them for the life of me. Gonna replace both.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171021/a4296c3c935848e3dc396fb751e162c1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171021/3ba2caecbffd2110332767e6cbe5a060.jpg