PDA

View Full Version : Winter roof follow up

BIG KAHUNA
10-17-2017, 01:43 PM
As I was picking up my 5th wheel from Camping World (don't start) I happened to ask what they did with their RVs in the Winter as they obviously have a lot more experience than this newbie and it was interesting to learn it is a CW corporate mandate that the personnel is not to shovel the roofs off under any condition, which might get pretty interesting as we are in New England.
In addition, when I asked what they thought about covers their response was they are fine SO LONG AS you buy the extended warranty because when the cover self destructs, which they acknowledged it would, its NOT covered unless you do. And BTW the extended is $150.

spicercars
10-17-2017, 03:30 PM
I would never use a cover for any reason. It will do more damage then it does good. You will end up with a ton of moisture in the winter time under the snow. As for clearing off the roof I use a floor broom and be very careful of the vents and skylights. Make sure its a new broom.

sourdough
10-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Others I'm sure disagree, but I agree with the previous poster. Covers retain moisture inside and can cause damage. They will, and have, caused damage to the exterior from chafing and rubbing. Leaving the trailer uncovered is a better option (they're made for it) IMO unless you have a cover or enclosure to put it in. YMMV

MarcS
10-17-2017, 05:02 PM
I do not cover my TT in the winter. I always wondered when I go to CW this time of year, why they push covers so much, but never cover their lot RVs. 🤣

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SteveC7010
10-17-2017, 05:52 PM
I've said my piece on covers in several previous threads. Covers are not a good idea.

NorskeBob
10-19-2017, 03:28 AM
Used to cover but had too much problems with chafing of the sides, roof and ladder. I keep the vents slightly open too (vent covers are installed). We get 150 to 250 inches of snow so I clear the roof at least once per winter before the snow melts.

jonnyaiks
10-19-2017, 06:19 AM
I have never covered mine, nor shovelled them off, and we get some big snow falls in this part of Ontario. None of the local dealers cover or shovel either. Dealers shut down for the winter months so they pack into their shop and display space what they can, and the sky watches over the rest.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Pull Toy
10-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Here in Connecticut, 40 plus years.. no cover... no shovel... roof vents cracked, for ventilation, ... with lots of mouse bait, and crinkled aluminum foil in all thru bulkhead / plumbing fittings!

Further north... maybe a snow-shed "a frame", or garage ?

p.s. IMHO, Any shovel / brush activity will take years off of your rubber roof integrity, let it melt! If it will hold your 200 +/- weight on a pair of size 12's, the average snow weight per square inch is ZILCH!

Good Luck,

jimmymac60
10-21-2017, 08:17 AM
We live in Colorado. Yes we get snow. Allot. Then we get sunshine and it all melts. Then we get more snow and so on. I don't cover the Montana, or brush the roof. I park her with a little lean towards the back an to the right towards the street. That way when the snow melts, the runoff goes out and away from the Montana. My 2 cents.

jonnyaiks
10-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Never thought of parking on a sideways lean... good idea. I'm going to try that this winter.

WaltBennett
10-22-2017, 08:35 AM
I would never use a cover for any reason. It will do more damage then it does good. You will end up with a ton of moisture in the winter time under the snow. As for clearing off the roof I use a floor broom and be very careful of the vents and skylights. Make sure its a new broom.

X2 on the covers. IF you really have to clear off snow, just be aware that most of those plastic vent covers of all kinds only last a few years - just bumping into one after that will cause them to fall apart. I've already replaced one vent cover with a metal one and am about to do the same with another. Just spent time replacing the tank and attic vent covers a month back. Seems the only ones with UV protection are the cover from FantasticFan and metal.

tgpilot
10-22-2017, 09:39 AM
For what it's worth, I've noticed in our town here in MT that a company push's a kind of white vulcanization on the boats and RV's here. They put a kind of heavy white plastic on their rigs and suck much of the air out drawing the plastic as tight as possible. Then cut it off in the Spring. Cost is several hundred dollars and the company takes it off and re-uses it the next winter. Noticed my neighbor has his it done. Does this really work, does it help? Anyone ever tried this method?

texas-traveler
10-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Snow??? Do you mean that cold white stuff! In central Texas, what is snow?

jonnyaiks
10-23-2017, 08:42 PM
For what it's worth, I've noticed in our town here in MT that a company push's a kind of white vulcanization on the boats and RV's here. They put a kind of heavy white plastic on their rigs and suck much of the air out drawing the plastic as tight as possible. Then cut it off in the Spring. Cost is several hundred dollars and the company takes it off and re-uses it the next winter. Noticed my neighbor has his it done. Does this really work, does it help? Anyone ever tried this method?Most people do it with their boats around here. Haven't seen it ever done on an RV though. Air tightness would be the difficult part for RV's, I imagine. Interesting.

ctbruce
10-24-2017, 03:06 AM
Most people do it with their boats around here. Haven't seen it ever done on an RV though. Air tightness would be the difficult part for RV's, I imagine. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using TapatalkI'd be worried about moisture accumulation inside the rig. I keep my vents open all year to allow the unit to breath. That, and the dollars, would be my biggest concerns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

jonnyaiks
10-24-2017, 03:27 AM
I'd be worried about moisture accumulation inside the rig. I keep my vents open all year to allow the unit to breath. That, and the dollars, would be my biggest concerns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using TapatalkThat's been my practise too.