PDA

View Full Version : Shower door & glass

ljp
10-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Purchased a TT that has the shower door and side panels removed but remain together. Can the door be separated from each glass side panel and then reinstalled in the shower?

It appears the side panels may separate from the door but I can't see how they are attached to one another. Or, must the door and side panels go in as a single unit?

Thanks.....

SteveC7010
10-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Purchased a TT that has the shower door and side panels removed but remain together. Can the door be separated from each glass side panel and then reinstalled in the shower?

It appears the side panels may separate from the door but I can't see how they are attached to one another. Or, must the door and side panels go in as a single unit?

Thanks.....
How about a picture of what you are describing? It would be a lot easier and far more accurate for any of us to offer useful and proper answers. What I envision you describing is most likely not going to be the same as the next person.

gearhead
10-09-2017, 03:45 PM
You talking about the shower door with 3 sliding glass panels?
If so I would try to install it in one piece.

JRTJH
10-09-2017, 07:04 PM
I believe the OP has a neo-angle corner shower. If that's correct, then the 3 panel shower wall/door that he's asking about is an aluminum frame with an outswinging door as the center panel and two stationary smaller glass panels, one on each side.

Typically, this style door is assembled with silicone to prevent leaks and is not easily disassembled. I'd suggest jockeying it into the bathroom, fitting it to the shower pan, if it fits properly, then devise some way to secure the ends to the trailer walls/shower surround. I wouldn't attempt to take it apart, if you bend the aluminum it will never fit properly and while trying to separate the parts, you'll probably twist, bend or torque the aluminum channels.

As a consideration, the glass shower panels are available at Trekwood. If what I read is accurate, that assembly costs about $326.80 plus shipping which I'd guess would be around $150. http://www.trekwood.com/products/294572/Shower-Door-15-x-25-Neo-Angle-Niagara-Glass-Platinum

ADDED: The shower door/wall assembly sits in two vertical aluminum channels, one on each trailer wall. The entire assembly is only attached/screwed to the trailer at those vertical channels. The bottom of the glass/aluminum wall sections rides on the shower base and is sealed with silicone. If you attempt to fasten that part to the trailer/shower base, you'll probably break it while towing. The movement of the trailer walls and the shower base/trailer floor will twist/torque the glass/aluminum and cause it to break.

ljp
10-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Photo of the shower door in question added to my original post.

Thanks.....

theeyres
10-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Thanks for posting the photo. I wonder why the previous owner took it out? Can you not reinstall the whole unit? That's what I would try to do.

theeyres
10-10-2017, 07:51 PM
More thinking about this: I may be restating the obvious if you have done these types of installs before but if you do decide to reinstall it, don't set it in place and then try to caulk it. It will leak forever. Make sure it fits with a trial run, caulk all the channels, and then set the unit in place. It will never leak. The bottom and sides have to be caulked first, then the unit squished into the caulk.

ljp
10-10-2017, 08:10 PM
Previous owner was a large person and the glass reportedly didn't give them room to move around easily. A plastic curtain was installed.

In order to ensure there are no leaks we will have the shower door reinstalled by the service dept., at an RV dealership. For me, the door is too cumbersome to work with in a small area. The panels have loosened and is the reason I have the bungee cords attached side to side.

Thanks again for the feedback.....