PDA

View Full Version : New winter survey

BIG KAHUNA
10-09-2017, 08:41 AM
So I would categorically say the feeling is NOT to use an RV cover BUT what are the feelings concerning tire covers for Winter and/or general use? As always this newbie truly appreciates everyone's insight!!!

CrazyCain
10-09-2017, 08:42 AM
So I would categorically say the feeling is NOT to use an RV cover BUT what are the feelings concerning tire covers for Winter and/or general use? As always this newbie truly appreciates everyone's insight!!!Use them all the time to protect from UV..

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

SteveC7010
10-09-2017, 08:47 AM
So I would categorically say the feeling is NOT to use an RV cover BUT what are the feelings concerning tire covers for Winter and/or general use? As always this newbie truly appreciates everyone's insight!!!
Trailer covers = No, I've said my piece on that several times.

Tire covers = YES! You don't need the fancy purchased ones either. A cheap tarp works well. So does a piece plywood as long as you keep it off the ground so it doesn't absorb moisture.

NorskeBob
10-09-2017, 09:20 AM
We use tire covers. Mainly to keep the snow pack away from the wheels.

Canonman
10-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Tire covers, absolutely!

SummitPond
10-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Trailer covers = No, I've said my piece on that several times.

Tire covers = YES! You don't need the fancy purchased ones either. A cheap tarp works well. So does a piece plywood as long as you keep it off the ground so it doesn't absorb moisture.

I taped together two of the small corrugated plastic "political" yard signs (although these are really my brother's old business yard signs) and use them to shield the tires. They look like heck, but at the house in the back yard, who sees them?

msubobcats
10-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Yes on tire covers...

mfifield01
10-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Is the main purpose to protect against snow?

I don't use any in storage, but I don't really get any snow. The tire covers can cause heat issues.

hitchikerman
10-09-2017, 11:17 AM
I heard covers trap moisture causing premature delamination:twocents:

SteveC7010
10-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Is the main purpose to protect against snow?

I don't use any in storage, but I don't really get any snow. The tire covers can cause heat issues.
No, the main purpose is to protect against UV damage from the sun. UV is a major cause of premature tire failure.

As for heat issues, the plywood or old plastic corrugated sign material kind of totally avoids that issue since it only covers the visible part of the tire and doesn't trap moisture.

SteveC7010
10-09-2017, 11:45 AM
I heard covers trap moisture causing premature delamination:twocents:
Since we are discussing two distinctly different covers, I am guessing that you mean trailer covers?

mfifield01
10-09-2017, 11:49 AM
No, the main purpose is to protect against UV damage from the sun. UV is a major cause of premature tire failure.

As for heat issues, the plywood or old plastic corrugated sign material kind of totally avoids that issue since it only covers the visible part of the tire and doesn't trap moisture.

There are better solutions for UV that won't hold the moisture in. I use 303 on my tires. I have heard of cases of tires bubbling from heat and moisture under a cover.

hankpage
10-09-2017, 12:13 PM
NO to trailer covers because of rubbing damage.

I use 303 on all my tires and tire covers on trailer all the time. Except when towing. :facepalm:
Tire covers on the car we leave home for the winter and for the car we leave in Florida for the summer. (lost one of them to Irma, but the only damage :bow: )
TV tires get 303 after every wash and sunscreen on me when outdoors. Hopefully getting wiser so I can get older.

The only damage I have had was from a trailer cover that I used for one winter. I stored it away for over ten years and it was like brand new when I took it to the land fill. I could not sell it or even give it to anyone and have a clear conscience. So to the dump, to the dump, to the dump, dump, dump. :whistling: