PDA

View Full Version : Nexen tires on Newer Ram

Tinner12002
09-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Anyone else have the factory Nexen tires on their newer Ram dually??
I had them on mine and at 28K miles had tread separation on both front ones. They still had plenty of tread so they definitely weren't worn out by any means. Back tires still seem to be okay so far. Anyone else had any issues with them? Went with Michelins on front.

geobet
09-28-2017, 03:36 PM
My 2017 Ram 3500 has Nexen tires. Hadn't heard of them before but seem to be holding up really well. Might want to check out their web site https://www.nexentireusa.com/about/warranty
seems like a rather robust warranty.

Moomba80
09-28-2017, 04:16 PM
They are cheap Chinese tires. I have 19k on my Ram Dully and just had to replace the front two because of bad vibration. I still have them on back but am planning on changing them soon. Only complaint with Ram so far. Why put cheap tire on 60k truck made for pulling!

RaptorJB
09-28-2017, 04:27 PM
I only had 14k miles on mine before one front tire broke an internal belt causing vibration and one back tire started to separate. They seem not to have a good reputation from my research and some have no problems at all. Replaced all of mine with BF Goodrich All Terrains and wow what a difference that made. IMO our RAMs 3500 should have come with Michelin's stock for the amount of money spent on these trucks. Just glad nothing happen when towing the toy hauler...

mtofell
09-28-2017, 08:45 PM
For some comparison the Firestones on my 2500 were nearly bald @ 25K and I'm not alone. I get the feeling the manufacturers would send us out on banana peels wrapped around rims if they could get it approved through the DOT.

xrated
09-29-2017, 03:12 AM
Towing heavy is neither the time or the place for cheaply made tires....and that applies to the TV and the trailer.....TT or Fifth Wheel. If you are unfortunate enough to have bought a truck or trailer with Chinese junk....a.k.a. "China Bombs", for your own safety as well as others, bite the bullet and replaced them with quality made tires. BTW....I was a "victim" of the China Bombs on my brand new 13K GVWR Toy Hauler. I towed it home from the dealer and promptly replaced them with some Maxxis 8008 tires......as well as a good TPMS system to monitor them.

notanlines
09-29-2017, 03:20 AM
I realize I am spending your money, but if you had two bad tires on a 60K truck at 15K miles, you are in need of 6 new tires, not two. OP, I believe you made the correct choice in buying the Michelins.

Tinner12002
09-29-2017, 03:28 AM
I realize I am spending your money, but if you had two bad tires on a 60K truck at 15K miles, you are in need of 6 new tires, not two. OP, I believe you made the correct choice in buying the Michelins.

Yes I know, been thinking about that. Getting ready to go to the Talladega Race here in a couple weeks with the RV so I may still pull the trigger on some new Michelins for the rear...if nothing else for piece of mind!! Noticed a nice ride difference just with the new fronts!

Tinner12002
09-29-2017, 03:32 AM
Towing heavy is neither the time or the place for cheaply made tires....and that applies to the TV and the trailer.....TT or Fifth Wheel. If you are unfortunate enough to have bought a truck or trailer with Chinese junk....a.k.a. "China Bombs", for your own safety as well as others, bite the bullet and replaced them with quality made tires. BTW....I was a "victim" of the China Bombs on my brand new 13K GVWR Toy Hauler. I towed it home from the dealer and promptly replaced them with some Maxxis 8008 tires......as well as a good TPMS system to monitor them.

Fortunately, my new RV has Sailuns on it so I should be good for a few years, but I also put my 507 TPMS system off my old RV on my new one so some piece of mind there too.

Desert185
09-29-2017, 04:49 AM

Ditto. Never go cheap with rubber on the road. The potential grief isn't worth it.

xrated
09-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Fortunately, my new RV has Sailuns on it so I should be good for a few years, but I also put my 507 TPMS system off my old RV on my new one so some piece of mind there too.

You did good! :thumbsup:

CaptnJohn
09-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Replacing the Michelins that came on my 2016 F350 at 41,000 miles. After reading some of this I guess I should not be thinking it should have been better.

notanlines
09-30-2017, 03:06 AM
CaptJohn, our first set of Michelins made about 66K and would have made 75K but for one little cut on the right front. New set of Michelins now had 36K and will go another 30K no problem.

Tinner12002
09-30-2017, 03:37 AM
The Michelins are a little pricey but I have used them before with great results so they were really my only consideration. These are considered a 50K mile tire with free rotation and free road hazard replacement, for a price of course, for the life of the tire. When you figure the cost to have tires rotated on a dually every 6-7K miles then that really makes the price easier to justify!

Desert185
09-30-2017, 05:04 AM
CaptJohn, our first set of Michelins made about 66K and would have made 75K but for one little cut on the right front. New set of Michelins now had 36K and will go another 30K no problem.

I couldn't get that many miles out of Michelins if my mom drove them around in the trunk of a Cadillac.

Tinner12002
09-30-2017, 05:10 AM
I couldn't get that many miles out of Michelins if my mom drove them around in the trunk of a Cadillac.

Now that's funny stuff right there!!:lol:

Barbell
09-30-2017, 07:19 AM
Our '16 3500 came with the Nexen tires and at 30,000 miles, they show little wear and ride/drive fine. They hold pressure just fine as well. With Sailuns on the fifth wheel and these on the truck, feel very safe.

geobet
09-30-2017, 10:48 AM
Barbell: I've had the same results with my '17 3500. No problems at all. And, they aren't made in China - they're made in, according to their website, a modern facility in South Korea. Mine have held up better than the Firestones on my 2500 at the same mileage. Happy with them so far.

coltg
01-08-2019, 06:52 AM
I had a tread separation yesterday - 15,000 miles.

Tinner12002
01-08-2019, 07:36 AM
I had a tread separation yesterday - 15,000 miles.

They are pretty much junk but take it to your dealer and they will submit a claim and you can either get a new one or if you replace your tires they will pay you some warranty money for the tire, at least they did me.

CWtheMan
01-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Anyone else have the factory Nexen tires on their newer Ram dually??
I had them on mine and at 28K miles had tread separation on both front ones. They still had plenty of tread so they definitely weren't worn out by any means. Back tires still seem to be okay so far. Anyone else had any issues with them? Went with Michelins on front.

It's probably best to try and work closely with the tire warranty manager with the problem you describe. If it's the tire's fault they are going to want to discover why.

https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/NE0118.pdf

JRTJH
01-08-2019, 08:04 AM
Inferior tires on trucks? Granted they "meet or exceed industry standards" but.... We just endured 10 years of ST tire drama, is this Nexen brand going to become the new ST "talk of the town" (but on trucks not trailers) ???

Looking at it from Chrysler's perspective: Produce 1 million trucks per year, save $3 per tire (x5 per vehicle) equals $15 per vehicle equals 15 million in profit on tires alone... Factor that to Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and Fiat and you get savings on tires that equals or surpasses the entire corporate profit structure for 2018.... I get the motivation to increase profits, but who has even heard of Nexen tires???

CWtheMan
01-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Inferior tires on trucks? Granted they "meet or exceed industry standards" but.... We just endured 10 years of ST tire drama, is this Nexen brand going to become the new ST "talk of the town" (but on trucks not trailers) ???

Looking at it from Chrysler's perspective: Produce 1 million trucks per year, save $3 per tire (x5 per vehicle) equals $15 per vehicle equals 15 million in profit on tires alone... Factor that to Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and Fiat and you get savings on tires that equals or surpasses the entire corporate profit structure for 2018.... I get the motivation to increase profits, but who has even heard of Nexen tires???

You can read about several similar reports on the Dodge Ram Forum.

That's why it's highly recommended that those with the problems should get connected directly with Nexen warranty officials.

Note: Nexen has been providing OEM tires for Chrysler products since 2012.

rhagfo
01-08-2019, 01:36 PM
The new to us 2016 Ram DRW we just bought still has the OEM Nexin tires and wear looks good, we will watch for any issues. Replacements will be Michelin . I checked about $1,600 for a set of six.