PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Couple Buy an RV

Wally Dad
09-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm Ken. My wife, Karen, and I went to the RV Show in Hershey PA earlier this month and ended up ordering a Montana 3950BR. Although we have been planning on moving into an RV full-time, we have no experience.

A series of events made it possble for both of us to work remotely. So we sold our house and got rid of most of our "stuff" in June. Moved in with our daughter in southern Indiana (payback!). Since we both work online and on the phone, we needed something that would have office space. It was a showdown between the Montana and Grand Design middle bunk models. We went with Montana.

Now we need a truck and we are leaning towards a Ford F-350 dually. I've never pulled a large trailer and I think that we are completely nuts. But, then life should be an adventure right?:cool:

Ken "Wally Dad"

geobet
09-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the forum. You're on the right track with a dually. You'll need it. As far as "learning the ropes", all of us had to start somewhere. In my opinion, since you've already got the Montana, congrats by the way - dive into this forum and absorb all the advice you can. Use the "search" key and fill in what you want to learn then read all the posts. I've been RVing for over 40 years and still pick up things on this forum. Tons of info and great folks willing to help you over the humps. Enjoy.

sourdough
09-26-2017, 01:35 PM
^^^What geobet said. Life IS an adventure so grab it by the horns and go have fun. And, a dually should be your next "small adventure".

notanlines
09-26-2017, 02:37 PM
OF COURSE you went to the RV show and ordered a new Montana! That's what crazy people do. It is why there ARE RV shows. Upon learning that the wild rabbit in our neighbor's yard went missing my 8 year old granddaughter was dismayed. However not half as dismayed as my wife when she learned that my comment was "Coyotes gotta eat, too!"
Well, salesmen/women gotta eat too! As do Ford pickup sales people. And think of the fun y'all are going to have picking out that new TV.
Congrat's to both of you! We all know your daughter and SIL will be sorry to see you go.....:D

Tbos
09-26-2017, 04:55 PM
Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. I bought my 2016 F350 DRW earlier this year in preparation for buying a 5er next year. Enjoy shopping for your truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimQ
09-26-2017, 05:02 PM
Good for you Ken and Karen! I like your attitude! Glad you found us all on this forum which is full of information and the best members evah, who will help and assist in any way possible! Congrats on the Montana and best of luck on your new adventure!

DAN d
09-27-2017, 03:30 AM
welcome have fun

PARAPTOR
09-27-2017, 04:27 AM
:wlcm: to The Forum From Western PA

Congrats on that new Montana !! Enjoy !!

Other than the FORD :eek: definitely would get a dually :dance:

Oh by the way, you are not crazy just one of us now :bow:

Be Safe and happy Camping :camping:

Dave W
09-27-2017, 06:03 AM
Welcome aboard. Now you get to spend all your hard earned money for add on thingamajigs and doodads just like the rest of us:whistling:

Good choice for a 5er and tow vehicle. When you do order that Ford, make sure you check off the 5er puck style tow package and camper whether or not you check the box for the Ford version of a Reese hitch. I really like my B&W hitch. Oh and if an F450 is financially reachable, might consider a move up to just a 'little more' truck.

fatcatzzz
09-27-2017, 06:23 AM
:USA::wlcm::USA:

NorskeBob
09-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the forum from upstate NY.

theeyres
09-27-2017, 08:11 PM
I'll bet the sales person told you a 1/2 ton truck would pull it just fine! You are on the right track with the 1 ton dually. You will be happy. Just have to get used to using that big truck in parking lots as your daily hauler.

labman
10-02-2017, 08:23 PM
if you read enough of the posts, you will find you will need a Kenworth or similar rig to pull something as big as the 5er you ordered.

notanlines
10-03-2017, 01:31 AM
Labman, I believe you're poking a stick at a barking dog. What was the "Kenworth or similar rig" comment all about?

DAN d
10-03-2017, 03:43 AM
welcome ya dont have to be nuts but it helps enjoy have lots of fun:wlcm: