PDA

View Full Version : Dish Satellite System Now What

LarrySharon
09-17-2017, 05:58 PM
Just purchased a Dish Tailgater 3 w/receiver. When I run the cable directly from satellite receiver to the receiver I get reception. However when I hook up to the external satellite prep connection I get nothing. So can I assume that the installed cable wiring is bad? If so is it difficult to rerun coax? Or am I doomed to running cable thru my door opening? Also I have a 2017 Hideout 22KBSWE.

chuckster57
09-17-2017, 06:06 PM
Your not doomed at all. What connection(s) do you have at the exterior? Two separate or one and what are they (it) labled?

LarrySharon
09-17-2017, 06:59 PM
I only have one connection that is labeled "satellite prep". Then I am connecting it to one side (the left side) of a double coax connector above the tv location. If you know what I mean.14133

chuckster57
09-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Gotcha. At the TV the plate has two coax "outs". The one in the center is for roof and park cable and the left one is for sat right?

Now, using an Ohm meter, set it to continuity. Take a length of coax and test for continuity between the center (signal) wire and the connector threads, shouldn't be any. If there is, the cable is bad.

Let's assume the cable tests good. Connect to the outside port and test again for continuity, and again there shouldn't be any. If there is, then the trailer coax is bad. Most common cause is a "whisker" contacting the signal wire. This should give you a quick answer tonight. In the morning we can get into a bit deeper testing but it requires a tool, available at any home improvement store.

chuckster57
09-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Ok, now I got to look at the picture you posted. That Loop is where the signal comes in from the outside. The test I described will confirm the coax is not grounded. If memeory serves me correctly, the signal comes out of one of those connections to the reciever. Out of reciever to tv.

LarrySharon
09-19-2017, 10:59 AM
Bought a tester today, the left side of the before mentioned picture is "open" the right side is "good". Now, the dealership tech said the the left side is for incoming sat and the right side was for the outside tv connection. So I should have hooked my cable up on the right side instead of the left. However, what does open mean? Not properly connected? thx

chuckster57
09-19-2017, 11:03 AM
Your tester came with ends that you connect at the other end from the tester, right? Mine has 4 different colors. Open means you didn't have an end at the other end, no short in coax.

LarrySharon
09-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Yes, I bought one that had four colors. Used two one for both external coax connection.

LarrySharon
09-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Your tester came with ends that you connect at the other end from the tester, right? Mine has 4 different colors. Open means you didn't have an end at the other end, no short in coax.

Okay now I now have a good connection for my sat. But the other connector in the picture was retested and it still comes up open. But I think I will try something else. I may be confusing things and lack correct knowledge for what the other coax hook up is for.:facepalm:

chuckster57
09-20-2017, 08:08 PM
Ok. If it's set up like I think it is, when you connect to park cable, the loop has to be in place for the signal to reach the booster/splitter. Because satellite signal won't work through RV splitters, you take the loop out. Signal IN to reciever and then direct from reciever to TV.