PDA

View Full Version : New to us camper advice

rcb
09-14-2017, 06:40 AM
We will be picking up a new to us 2014 Passport 2920bh Grand Touring from a private seller. The seller is going to walk us through everything we need to know about the camper. The deal includes the WDH and sway control.

We have only had pop-up camper experience in the past and I feel like one walk through might be a bit overwhelming and tough to retain. What are the main points you would want to walk away with full understanding of?

Thanks

Ken / Claudia
09-14-2017, 07:47 AM
Everything about the trailer and get the booklet of documents that came with the trailer. Push every button, turn every switch, test everything. Have water in the tank and test that. Climb up on top and look at the roof. Check everything on 12v and shore power. If they used the trailer they should be able to show you how to do it all. Plan on several hours if done right.

Gegrad
09-14-2017, 08:11 AM
Ken pretty much covers it, test every single item for functionality.

Because it can't be mentioned enough, I will stress it again: Bring a ladder and triple check the roof and, most importantly, roof seams for cracking or if Dicor has been used as necessary to treat any cracks. That will give you the best assurance the trailer is not leaking, which is the biggest problem you don't want to run into. Anything else that breaks in the future can generally be replaced/repaired fairly easily, as opposed to repairing a massive water leak.

Also: Check the tires for odd wear patterns. That will alert you if an axle may be bad.

Tbos
09-14-2017, 08:51 AM
If there is anything that seems too complicated to remember film it with your phone. Do a very thorough check of all the seams in the roof. Particularly the front one where the Filon meets the rubber roof. Enjoy.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

sourdough
09-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Check the brand and date of manufacture on the tires. Unless the owner has replaced the tires it will probably still have the original China bombs. If they are 2014 they are past their useful life and waiting to cause damage. I wouldn't drive it off if that's what's on it (or at least to the nearest tire shop).

rcb
09-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the input. Do you know if the Passport 2920 have any issues that they are known for? Maybe something that most people wouldn't notice at a glance?

earlzach
09-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the input. Do you know if the Passport 2920 have any issues that they are known for? Maybe something that most people wouldn't notice at a glance?

Be sure to ask if any recalls or tsb's still need to be addressed if in fact any were sent out on this model. You should be able to look up on the web if any and then question the owner to be sure they were addressed. Good luck. In sure I would over think it. You can tell a lot by the sellers and how they keep everything else around their place.

Tbos
09-14-2017, 02:58 PM

I don't know if there are any particular items that have been problematic on that model. The items that have been mentioned are the ones to worry about. Make sure the fridge works well too. If the slides use cables check them for fraying too.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW