PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Toilet Bowl Seal

jerseyphil
09-12-2017, 04:47 PM
I have a Dometic 310 toilet.
As part of my winterizing process, I have always left a few inches of antifreeze in the toilet bowl to keep the seal wet.
Last year, when I opened up the RV for the season, ALL the antifreeze had drained, which resulted in a dry seal.
I replaced the seal, using petroleum jelly to lubricate.
QUESTION: To winterize, would it be better to load up the seal with petroleum jelly, OR use antifreeze as I used to do?

JRTJH
09-12-2017, 05:02 PM
The antifreeze serves two functions. First it maintains the seal moisture to prevent it from drying out and second, it provides a "water seal" that helps keep the black tank gasses from creeping up into your trailer's bathroom.

I suppose using Vaseline would be OK, but, for me, I've been pouring about 2" of RV antifreeze into the toilet bowl for probably 30 years and so far it's worked well for me. YMMV......

jerseyphil
09-12-2017, 05:07 PM
JRTJH, Thanks for your reply. Do you have a preferred antifreeze?

JRTJH
09-12-2017, 05:34 PM
There are many brands of RV antifreeze and I have no "brand preference". There are two types of RV antifreeze: ethanol or propylene glycol. I won't use ethanol and only buy propylene glycol antifreeze. It's a little more expensive (about $1 per gallon more) but it has less "aftertaste" and "aftersmell", is easier to flush from the system and seems to "remain liquid" longer than ethanol based antifreeze.

Johnny's Journey
09-12-2017, 05:56 PM
I won't use ethanol and only buy propylene glycol antifreeze. Agree. Ethanol evaporates easily and is harmful to some materials such as rubber.

SteveC7010
09-12-2017, 06:13 PM
I live in the Adirondacks on a 30+ mile long lake. There are thousands of summer homes and camps all over the area and the entire park. The hardware stores and outdoor stores here stock RV antifreeze by the pallet full. Literally, tons of the stuff gets used every fall up here. The local outdoor store here is carrying Peak brand and selling at $10 for three gallons. It's the propylene glycol formulation and works very well.

We seem to have this same conversation several times a month and the answer is pretty much the same every time. No specific brand has ever emerged as a "best" choice. Buy what you can locate locally at a good price. Just make sure it's rated to a low enough temperature for the winters where you are. Stuff that only goes to -5F doesn't sell here at all. It's got to be good to at least -20F and preferably -30F.

jerseyphil
09-13-2017, 02:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I'll be buying propylene glycol antifreeze!

As usual, this forum is "the best", because members are so willing to help.

bill-e
09-21-2017, 07:59 AM
I use Walmart RV antifreeze since 2008 without issue. I find that if I use too little for the seal that in the spring it appears to have leaked, but I think it has actually evaporated. Try using a bit more.

mikell
10-04-2017, 03:32 PM
I use Gain liquid fabric softener all the time in the toilet. Smells good and works good.

Johnny's Journey
10-04-2017, 05:13 PM
^^^^^ So......, what do use in your washing machine? :D