PDA

View Full Version : No power

Bat24
09-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Hi, hoping it's an EZ fix.

I attempted to run my A/C on my 2007 Zep using my EU 2000 generator (out of desparation). It lasted about 3 min the everything shut off. Checked the breakers the trailer and they did not pop. Not sure what to check now. Is there a fuse I would have blown on the generator or in the trailer? Any help would be fantastic.

Buckeyexx
09-11-2017, 04:23 PM
If the generator stopped too then it probably overloaded it. Should be able to reset it but even if you do I don't think you will be able to run your a/c. It is probably trying to draw to many amps for the generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken / Claudia
09-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Normally a RV with a A/C will need a bigger genny. Maybe in the 3200-3500 watts range. That genny should have a reset push button or fuse.

Canonman
09-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Hi, hoping it's an EZ fix.

I attempted to run my A/C on my 2007 Zep using my EU 2000 generator (out of desparation). It lasted about 3 min the everything shut off. Checked the breakers the trailer and they did not pop. Not sure what to check now. Is there a fuse I would have blown on the generator or in the trailer? Any help would be fantastic.

The Eu2000 has a resettable circuit breaker. Assuming you have the standard 13,500 BTU A/C the 2000 likely will not be able to "start" the compressor. When the A/C is turned on the fan will run first then the compressor will kick in after a minute or so. That startup will pull over 20 amps and probably overload the 2000's output circuit. (blew the breaker) You can try turning everything off including the fridge and the convertor. Have the 2000 running for several minutes at full speed then try the A/C again. Once the compressor starts it only pulls around 15 or so amps and the generator should hold up.
Remember the fridge is pulling amps and the convertor is pulling amps to charge the batteries and run the 12v systems.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

deadeye
09-12-2017, 03:25 AM
You can try turning all the breakers off except for the AC, then try to start and run the AC.

Bat24
09-13-2017, 11:20 AM
The generator still runs fine, the trailer lost power to a.c./ fridge/micro/outlets. The GFCI or whatever it's called also popped but won't let me reset it. Would it have blown a fuse inside the trailer? Again, the breakers never popped.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Canonman
09-13-2017, 02:35 PM
OK, so the 2000 is running and putting out 120v a.c. but none of your 120v devices or outlets have any power? I'm guessing you don't have access to shore power right now.
If you have a volt/ohm meter; #1, check the AC output from the 2000. if that's good then check the voltage at the distribution panel. You should be able to locate the main input wires (mains) feeding the panel. If you have voltage there then check the field side of the panel. Let us know back what you find.

mazboy
09-13-2017, 04:05 PM
first off, you can't really run you a/c with your 2K. at best it might work for a few moments, don't waste your time
second, if you can't reset your gfi then it is bad if you are on 120volt and it itsn't resetting.
third: you blew a fuse in the panel....check

ctbruce
09-13-2017, 06:54 PM
Fuses equals 12 volt D. C.
Breakers equals 120 volt A. C.

Fuses have nothing to do with
A. C.
Breakers have nothing to do with D. C.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

chuckster57
09-13-2017, 07:29 PM
And you can't reset the GFI without 120VAC supplied to it. Once it's tripped, you have to have "live" feed to the receptacle.

Johnny's Journey
09-13-2017, 08:03 PM
And you can't reset the GFI without 120VAC supplied to it. Once it's tripped, you have to have "live" feed to the receptacle.Reason being is a generator does not have a true ground or Mother Earth. Edit- Does "live" feed mean it needs to be true AC power as from either a home outlet or shore power to get the GFI to reset because generators use a bounded ground from it's own neutral and not earth ground ?

Bat24
09-14-2017, 02:23 PM
Ok, it is fixed! Thank you all. I'm apparently slow but there is a big shiny button on the gen that pops when u overload it. Apparently you just need to push it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

chuckster57
09-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Glad to hear you got it going!