PDA

View Full Version : Entry door dead bolt lock

chillax_n77
09-11-2017, 12:06 PM
OK, so evidently my son attempted to unlock the door of the camper with the wrong key. It appears he was able to somewhat insert the wrong key into the dead bolt lock and turned it 1/4 turn. The door is still dead bolted and now I can't get the right key in! Any ideas?

MattE303
09-11-2017, 12:56 PM
OK, so evidently my son attempted to unlock the door of the camper with the wrong key. It appears he was able to somewhat insert the wrong key into the dead bolt lock and turned it 1/4 turn. The door is still dead bolted and now I can't get the right key in! Any ideas?Can't speak from personal experience, but I have heard that those lock cylinders are somewhat fragile and can be damaged by trying to use the wrong key. Good news is you can get an entire new lock assembly for about $25 from http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksKeys/Entrance-Locks

You can even specify the keycode you want so you can match it to the other door if desired.

Tbos
09-11-2017, 04:40 PM
I did the same thing as your son at the dealer during PDI. How was I supposed to know the doors weren't keyed alike. Oops. They replaced the lock. You are going to have to break that lock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gegrad
09-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Yeah, the keylocks on these units aren't the best. My deadbolt just fell out in my hand one day. replaced it for like $30.

hankpage
09-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Do you have a laundry chute into your storage area. If so you need a small flexible person to enter that way and unlock from inside. (Of course I would never recommend a child but I have heard that they work well and jump at the chance. After they do they won't come in the door anymore.) Good luck, Hank

bobbecky
09-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Just get your drill out and use at least a 1/4 inch bit, and drill out the tumbler. You were still going to have to replace the lock/latch, so the damage was already done.