PDA

View Full Version : Landing Gear Problem

Myk
09-11-2017, 04:55 AM
As we prepared to leave the campground yesterday, we started to extend the landing gear and noticed only the street side was extending. I looked inside at the motor and saw the bolt that connects the motor shaft to the tube that runs across to the curbside landing gear had broken.

After a quick trip to the local hardware store, I put a quarter inch Grade 5 bolt in and everything worked fine.

Are those bolts special in any way, is the grade 5 bolt okay for this application?

chuckster57
09-11-2017, 05:14 AM
The bolt is made to shear in certain conditions. Your fine with your choice.

SteveC7010
09-11-2017, 05:17 AM
As we prepared to leave the campground yesterday, we started to extend the landing gear and noticed only the street side was extending. I looked inside at the motor and saw the bolt that connects the motor shaft to the tube that runs across to the curbside landing gear had broken.

After a quick trip to the local hardware store, I put a quarter inch Grade 5 bolt in and everything worked fine.

Are those bolts special in any way, is the grade 5 bolt okay for this application?
If you still have the old bolt head, you can identify what grade it is for yourself. If this chart doesn't have what you need, there are plenty of others on the net.

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/Market_Place/images/003.jpg

drdarrin
09-11-2017, 05:41 AM
Are you aware that your landing gear requires periodic lubrication? Mine has zerks on the front of each leg which can't be seen unless you're looking for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myk
09-11-2017, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. The broken bolt was an Allen head so likely someone had already replaced the original.

Yes, I know about lubricating the landing gear and have done so recently.

Thanks again