PDA

View Full Version : Air Lift?

Smurf
09-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Does anyone use or have installed air bag suspension kits on the rear of there TV? If so is there a brand you would recommend?
Thanks for the input!

chuckster57
09-09-2017, 09:19 AM
I put Air Lift on both of my trucks. Second time around I went with onboard air. wouldn't do it again without onboard or wireless air. Air Lift and Firestone are of equal quality IMO.

xrated
09-09-2017, 10:57 AM
I had the Airlift 5000s on my F250 before I traded the truck for a Dually. The 5000's have the internal jounce bumper built in and you don't have to keep air pressure in them when not towing.

SteveC7010
09-09-2017, 12:11 PM
I have the Firestone Ride Rite's in my F250. Cost wise, they were neck and neck with Air Lift. They looked to be a bit easier for a DIY install. I haven't found leaving a few psi in them to be a problem. And I did not get the onboard compressor. If I did a lot of long hauls with the trailer where I had to drop it every day, I'd rethink that.

I agree with Chuck that they're pretty much neck and neck for quality. All the reviews I found on both were equally positive.

Javi
09-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Used the Firestones on my F250 but have no need for them on my dually.. Since I pull the same trailer I never found the need for the onboard air compressor... I used 5 to 7 pounds without the trailer and 25 to 27 with the 5th wheel... Since I check the tires weekly when not towing and before every trip with the trailer it weren't a big deal to check the airbags too...

xrated
09-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Someone can check me for accuracy, but IIRC, the Air Lift brand have a lifetime warranty as long as you are the original owner of the air bags.

Dave W
09-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Either Air Lift or Firestone Ride Rites (which I have and am very happy with) is the way to go. Both are proven and dependable. I chose the Firestones as they are made by a company that supplies many commercial operators ---- along with a much better price on the day of purchase:D). Simple installation though there is one bolt on an '11-'16 F250/350 diesel that can be a bear with the Ride Rites. Either brand can be installed with an on board compressor though I personally don't feel the need for one.

MattHelm21
09-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Yes. Airlift has the lifetime warranty. Also, the internal jounce bumbers are only part of the ultimate kits. I finally broke down and had a set installed in my F450. Not because the suspension felt like it needed anything additional. I needed it for load leveling. My last long trip I was getting flashed by oncomming drivers at night. They also correct the slightly nose low condition the trailer had that was only cosmetic.

When I finally measured, I found that the trailer pin dropped my bed 2 inches. 65lbs in the air bags now levels me back up with no noticeable change to driving characteristics except I can now see a minuscule amount more to the ground over the hood. If you get the ultimate kit like I did and the air compressor, just know that you won't be able to air down to 0PSI anyway as the compressor has a safety feature with a minimum set pressure(5PSI). You can get around this if you wire the compressor to a power switch and with it powered down air down with the shrader valve(s). However, it really isn't necessary. I am running solo at 5PSI and notice no difference in ride. I did notice the bed now measures 1" higher than before at that pressure when unloaded.

Edit:
there is one bolt on an '11-'16 F250/350 diesel that can be a bear with the Ride Rites.

My installer told me about that bolt and how much fun he had with it.

chuckster57
09-09-2017, 04:27 PM
When I installed my Airlift 5000's back in '08 and the onboard air, it included solenoids that automatically run the compressor to keep the bags at 5 PSI. Can't say the ride is worse at 5 vs. 0 PSI.

rhagfo
09-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Used the Firestones on my F250 but have no need for them on my dually.. Since I pull the same trailer I never found the need for the onboard air compressor... I used 5 to 7 pounds without the trailer and 25 to 27 with the 5th wheel... Since I check the tires weekly when not towing and before every trip with the trailer it weren't a big deal to check the airbags too...

LOL!
I carry/tow a 32' 5er with GVWR 10# less than Javi's with a 2001 Ram 2500 with Camper Package and an 8,800# GVWR and a 6,084# GRAWR and only exceed the GVWR, but still don't need bags! :D

Javi
09-09-2017, 06:14 PM
LOL!
I carry/tow a 32' 5er with GVWR 10# less than Javi's with a 2001 Ram 2500 with Camper Package and an 8,800# GVWR and a 6,084# GRAWR and only exceed the GVWR, but still don't need bags! :DSo what's the pin weight of that trailer?

Mine is 2400 to 2600 depending on what the DW brings... not counting the 1/2 cord of firewood we bring for a week during the fall and winter...

Javi

rhagfo
09-10-2017, 02:39 PM
So what's the pin weight of that trailer?

Mine is 2400 to 2600 depending on what the DW brings... not counting the 1/2 cord of firewood we bring for a week during the fall and winter...

Javi

I run about 2,300 to 2,400 pin over loaded rear axle. I have a pretty full tool box in the bed. Other stuff I carried in the bed have moved to the basement of the 5er.

michael_h
09-19-2017, 08:26 PM
you're not letting us know what you're driving or what you plan to tow.
I have an F150 and use Air Lift 2000 control ride since my payload is only 1500 pounds and I don't see any sensible reason to use the 5000 pound bags for my payload or application

Tinner12002
09-20-2017, 04:44 AM
I had the Airlift 5000s on my F250 before I traded the truck for a Dually. The 5000's have the internal jounce bumper built in and you don't have to keep air pressure in them when not towing.

I have the same ones on my Ram. I really only use them to get back end up to help headlight aiming though with heavier RV I have now it levels out the RV too. Drop air down looow when not towing to help ride quality.