PDA

View Full Version : What I did today.

Whitewolf
09-08-2017, 07:08 PM
I decided to figure out why the radio wouldn't bring in very many channels. And those that did were faint and poor sounding.

When I took the radio out, the antenna was coiled up right behind the radio. No wonder no signal. The antenna came out of the radio as a coax and split into two wires. I put one wire in each of the side cubbies (with the doors) held in place with washers under the screws that hold the unit in place.

The difference in reception is amazing. BTW, the reason for the lines in the 3 pic is I was using a LED flashlight.

busterbrown
09-08-2017, 07:41 PM
There has been a few discussions on here regarding poor radio reception and it's usually due to the coiled antenna behind the head unit.

You're probably already aware of the production process with most of our units. Time is money and It shows in many of the details of the end product. The 20 seconds it takes to uncoil the antenna and secure it properly is secondary to the work flow of major assembly components. So, most coaches will have FM/AM reception issues upon delivery. Gotta love Goshen, IN.

ctbruce
09-09-2017, 01:32 AM
Whitewolf, thanks for sharing. I have the same radio and it has been servicable, just not great. Now I have a new winter project. Looks simple enough that even I can accomplish it without hurting myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Javi
09-09-2017, 06:26 AM
I guess I got lucky with my Cougar... The radio antenna is hooked into the TV antenna and is directional...

chuckster57
09-09-2017, 06:36 AM
I guess I got lucky with my Cougar... The radio antenna is hooked into the TV antenna and is directional...

That is the most common set up.

Javi
09-09-2017, 06:48 AM

That is the most common set up.

And the Wingman UHF Booster add-on to the Winegard Sensar antenna really helps...

chuckster57
09-09-2017, 09:26 AM
been thinking about that upgrade, glad to hear it really helps.

WaltBennett
09-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Hey, at least yours was connected! Mine wasn't at all - still in the plastic baggie.