PDA

View Full Version : Weight capacity of rear bumper 2018 Passport 2670BH

briyoung
09-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Anyone know the weight carrying capacity of my rear bumper on my 2018 Passport 2670BH. I'm looking to add one of those receivers that bolt onto the rear bumper for bikes. Looking to carry 3-4 adult mountain bikes. I was reading through some of the reviews and a few said to check to see if the bumper can handle the weight first. Thanks

JRTJH
09-04-2017, 05:35 PM
If you read through the posts here I don't remember even one that recommended using a bumper mount receiver hitch to load anything on a Keystone (Lippert) rear bumper. Most people will even go so far as to suggest that you even remove the spare tire from the bumper.

That light gauge sheet metal tubing is not strong enough to support even one or two bikes on a bike rack on the rear of any trailer. The bouncing and stresses during travel will either destroy the bumper, the bikes, the bike rack or a combination of all three.

Short answer: Don't do it. If you "have to" install a bike rack on the rear of your trailer, go to a qualified welding shop and have a 2" receiver welded to the frame rails and do it correctly.

SteveC7010
09-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Anyone know the weight carrying capacity of my rear bumper on my 2018 Passport 2670BH. I'm looking to add one of those receivers that bolt onto the rear bumper for bikes. Looking to carry 3-4 adult mountain bikes. I was reading through some of the reviews and a few said to check to see if the bumper can handle the weight first. Thanks
I am in 100% agreement with John's assessment of the strength of the rear bumper of a TT or 5er. I have the slide-out tray on the rear of our Cougar, and just the weight of the spare tire bent the support brackets for the tray. I've removed the spare, straightened the brackets, and now use tiedowns to supplementally support the tray when extended.

Curt manufacturing makes an RV specific receiver hitch designed for the back end of a TT or 5er. On many rigs, it may not require any welding but you'd still have to drill some holes. A moderate DIY project at most. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Hitch/Curt/13703.html

hornet28
09-05-2017, 03:16 PM
At $300 I'm sure glad I can fab and weld. Materials for this hitch and tire rack was less than $50. The cross piece is 2 X 4 tubing

briyoung
09-06-2017, 03:24 PM
I actually found a set of supports from a company called Mount N Lock that support the bumper from stressing and says can put up to 400lbs on the bumper with these installed. The issue with bike racks is the sway and rocking back and forth putting a lot of stress on the welds, specially when there's 3 or 4 bikes hanging out 2-3ft so I'm also adding an eye let on each side of the frame to attach a set of tie downs so the rack can't move. 65 bucks for the set vs. 300-500 bucks for a hitch...I'll try this first.

sourdough
09-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Be sure to do it up right and check it well before taking a trip. I followed an RV once upon a time with a couple of bikes stuck on the bumper on a rack. The only problem was the bikes were leaning backward at about a 45 degree angle and bouncing like crazy. I doubt he made it too for before they just broke off the bumper.

RLo
09-07-2017, 07:28 PM
We hollered out the window at a trailer going 60 down there highway last weekend, the bolt on Hitch with the bike rack had the bumper torn about half way down on both sides It didn't have to many more miles before they would have been laying in the highway the way it was bouncing.

mtofell
09-07-2017, 09:23 PM
4 bikes? No way I'd ever try that. Just too much weight and as it gets further away from the hinge point (the receiver) the moment arm it just too great.

I was afraid to put a receiver and attach one adult and one kid bike so I opted for a ladder bike rack. These bumpers just aren't meant for holding much more than a spare tire.

briyoung
09-11-2017, 04:31 AM
I actually scraped the whole idea after further thought and found a bike mount for my p/u bed where I just disconnect the front wheel and put into this little bracket. Many people just screwed the bracket to a piece of 2x12" and lay it in the bed and ratchet strap the bike down so it's secure. Best of all it was 25 bucks per mount. Having an 8ft bed still leaves me with plenty of room for large cooler, lots of firewood ect.