PDA

View Full Version : Range hood fan stopped working!

pollockd
06-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

Our range hood fan just stopped working while cooking dinner. The range light still works along with everything else as far as we can tell in the TT. Any ideas? We have a new Laredo 291TG - a couple of months old.

Dave

DEW
06-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Sorry I have no idea on that issue as mine seems to run, but I have no idea where is exhausts. Does anyone know where it exhausts?

hankaye
06-11-2011, 06:55 PM
pollocked, Howdy;

Hi Everyone,
Our range hood fan just stopped working while cooking dinner. The range light still works along with everything else as far as we can tell in the TT. Any ideas? We have a new Laredo 291TG - a couple of months old.
Dave

Did you look to see if the wire came loose or is broken?

DEW
"Sorry I have no idea on that issue as mine seems to run, but I have no idea where is exhausts. Does anyone know where it exhausts?"

Look outside, you should see a angled rectangular box attached to the exterior directly outside from the kitched ...dat be it!
Mine has a pair of twist locks to keep it from flapping to loudly when it's windy.
If yours dosn't seem to work to well, unlock the vent cover...

hankaye

Bob Landry
06-11-2011, 07:12 PM
It doesn't exhaust anywhere on my Outback.:mad:

Festus2
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
On many of the newer models, there is no visible exhaust nor a box similar to the one described by Hankaye above. You can look for one outside, but you won't find one.
The venting system is "self-enclosed" as opposed to being vented directly via a duct to the outside.

Txoutback
06-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I have not prove this yet but I believe mine shares the exhaust with the fridg on the roof. I pulled the ladder out this evening to prove or disprove this theory but got distracted by more concerning issues. I'll get to this tomorrow.

Bob Landry
06-12-2011, 03:57 AM
On many of the newer models, there is no visible exhaust nor a box similar to the one described by Hankaye above. You can look for one outside, but you won't find one.
The venting system is "self-enclosed" as opposed to being vented directly via a duct to the outside.

Festus, Will you please explain "self-enclosed?

Johnnyfry
06-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Ha! "self enclosed" is another term for a system which runs the exhaust through a charcoal filter and blows it back in your face. A lot of cheap home vent hoods do this and it is totally BOGUS!!. The guy that thought up that system should be taken out and hung up by the thumbs!

If you have this setup, and you do any cooking beyond boiling water, do yourself a favor and cut ( or get the dealer to do it) a hole in the side and the side of the trailer install a proper venting hood.

Sorry, my rant for the day.

John

Txoutback
06-12-2011, 05:52 AM
Festus is right. Turn the fan on and put your hand on either side of the fan to feel it blowing out. Nothing blows out the fridg vent. TOTALLY Worthless. This does not vent the smoke and heat outside the TT, very disappointing.

Bob Landry
06-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Ha! "self enclosed" is another term for a system which runs the exhaust through a charcoal filter and blows it back in your face. A lot of cheap home vent hoods do this and it is totally BOGUS!!. The guy that thought up that system should be taken out and hung up by the thumbs!

If you have this setup, and you do any cooking beyond boiling water, do yourself a favor and cut ( or get the dealer to do it) a hole in the side and the side of the trailer install a proper venting hood.

John

Can't do it on the 277. The window behind the sink extends over behind the stove and does not allow room to install a vent to the outside. There may be a way to do it, but it would require some creative sheet metal work.

hankaye
06-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Howdy All;

I guess Keystone has figured out how to stop cold air from blowing INTO the trailer thru thr vent fan.....Don't cut the hole.....:D chuckle, chuckle...

hankaye

pollockd
06-13-2011, 03:46 AM
i was going to look for a loose wire, but I have to bring the TT to the dealer to fix the front stabalizer jacks. there is a "gold" sleeve that should be attached to the "bars". two screws are missing, so it just spins and does not put down the gear.

The Sod Father
06-14-2011, 10:39 AM

JohnI share your rant! The hose we currently live in had recirculating vents for not only the range vent, but also all three bathrooms. How the hell are you supposed to get the steam out when you shower??? The result was mold around the windows in the winter time. And not to mention the fact that whenever you drop a deuce, the smell stays.:eek:

I have since replaced all vents and all now vent outside. No mold, no smoke detectors going off when you sear a steak and no dookie smell.;)

The Sod Father
06-14-2011, 10:43 AM
On another note and in reply to the original post.....

Our Bullet does not have the vent sticking out of the side wall, but it DOES have a vent on the roof. It is not shared with the fridge vent - it is it's own vent. I'm still a bit leery of this if for no other reason that we now have one more thing sticking out of the roof that needs to be caulked and a potential leak source. JMHO.

Festus2
06-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Some people like to rant. Others like to vent. I like johnnyfry's rant better than Keystone's stove vent. We all know that the Ad and PR folks there like to dazzle us with gimmicks like Arctic Package, Hitch Vision, and yes, "self-enclosed" vent systems. Provides fodder for us to rant - or vent - whichever gives us the most satisfaction. Too bad one works and the other doesn't.

The Sod Father
06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
VERY profound Festus. Well done sir!

Outbackmel
06-14-2011, 05:29 PM
My 2011 Outback seems to pull the air up "nicely" and circulate it at ceiling level towards the "fire alarm" which works GREAT. I "jump up", grab a paper or magazine and flail my arms until the alarm quits. :)

As an alternative, I cook outside at every opportunity. I can see where anyone cooking in cooler or rainy climates would be sooooo frustrated. :eek:

JRTJH
06-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Hmmmmm a "NON VENTED VENT" Sounds like the politicians started working at Keystone LOL

Like others, I've lived in places where the range hood only "filtered" some of the smell out of the cooking exhaust and then vented it right back into the room. WHAT A MESS!!!!!

I couldn't imagine a bath vent doing this, why even have one?????

As for Keystone. If it vents into the referigerator stack, be careful !!!!! Any accumulated grease there is a fire waiting to happen, what with a propane fire and all the heat that's there already. I'd definitely not want any grease from cooking blowing against my referigerator coils !!!!!

The Sod Father
06-15-2011, 05:11 AM
My 2011 Outback seems to pull the air up "nicely" and circulate it at ceiling level towards the "fire alarm" which works GREAT. I "jump up", grab a paper or magazine and flail my arms until the alarm quits. :)

As an alternative, I cook outside at every opportunity. I can see where anyone cooking in cooler or rainy climates would be sooooo frustrated. :eek:

Ditto. 99% of the time I am cooking outside. That was the primary impetus for us getting the new rig with the outside kitchen. Well, that and the fact that the floor on my Rockwood was getting a tad soft in one spot under a window. :(

The Sod Father
06-28-2011, 11:54 AM
On another note and in reply to the original post.....

Our Bullet does not have the vent sticking out of the side wall, but it DOES have a vent on the roof. It is not shared with the fridge vent - it is it's own vent. I'm still a bit leery of this if for no other reason that we now have one more thing sticking out of the roof that needs to be caulked and a potential leak source. JMHO.
Soooooo..... I now have yet another reason to dislike my dealer. During the PDI, they told us that the fan vented through the roof. Silly me, I believed him. Not having much reason to inspect the roof, I figured, it was set back a bit and not clearly visible from the road like the fridge vent.

So this past weekend I was campering and decided to cook something inside the trailer to get away from the skeeters. I turned on the fan, lit the burner and started boiling water. Remembering this thread, I looked under the hood, put my hand near the back of the "exhaust" fan and realized it was blowing hot air. Yep, it was recirculating. I said, "are you f&%$#ing kidding me??". This was after I noticed that one of the leaking windows that was supposed to be repaired was, once again, leaking.:mad:

So two things - 1)apologies for leading others to believe I had a roof vent for the exhaust. Silly me to think the dealer knew his product. Lesson learned. 2) Now debating on having a hole cut in the side of the trailer or just put a fantastic fan in the roof vent as that would be far more effective at venting cooking heat and smells. And it is only a few feet from the stove that is rarely used.

therink
06-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Mine exhausts into my face. Because there is no outside vent we don't use our inside stove. Probably my biggest beef I have with keystone taking a shortcut that most people wont notice until the first time they use the stove. All of my previous 4 rvs had outside rangehood vent so I didn't even:eek: think about it when I bought it.
If that is my only real complaint, I did OK with this one.