PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Weekend Destinations

Tbos
09-01-2017, 06:39 AM
Here's our site at Cheatham Annex near Williamsburg VA. Where is everyone else headed? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170901/08df9615e92a795164bee6b8d8590ded.jpg

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

chuckster57
09-01-2017, 06:59 AM
I'm headed to my recliner!! Safest spot in the state, and it's supposed to be 110+ degrees. We DONT camp on holiday weekends.

JRTJH
09-01-2017, 07:15 AM
We had our first frost last night, the edges of the leaves on the "maders" are a little "tinged" so it won't be long before we'll be pulling them up, hanging them upside down in the pole barn so the rest will ripen. Sad part is we lost 2 settings of "maders" this past spring to frost and these that were planted after all the frost and did survive have only just started bearing "maders" a couple weeks ago, so to those who have been eating "ripe 'maders" all summer, we've got 3 or 4 salads and it looks like the frost will get the rest.....

At least with the frost, the "skeeters" won't be as bad and we can sit around the fire pit without swatting...

So, we'll be staying home, I'll be getting the ATV's ready to store and might even get the snowmobiles out, tuned up, fresh "alcohol free gas" and of course, it's time to make sure all the tree stands are hung, leaned against trees, secure and in the right places. That means "harvesting all the SD cards from game cams that have been snapping pictures all summer. Lots of work to do and no time for camping this weekend, besides all the campgrounds around here are full. We'll wait till next week, head to our favorite bass lake, spend a few days relaxing and contemplating all the yard work as the leaves begin to turn colors and start to fall......

chuckster57
09-01-2017, 07:19 AM
We'll wait till next week, head to our favorite bass lake, spend a few days relaxing and contemplating all the yard work as the leaves begin to turn colors and start to fall......
Will you doing any Photograph signing? :bow:

canesfan
09-01-2017, 07:54 AM
My backyard. Rain Friday and Saturday, nice in time for everyone to go home Monday. Might head out to a favorite SP next week after the crowds leave.

Tom, you're about 15-20 minutes from me just on the other side of I-64.

ctbruce
09-01-2017, 08:18 AM
No camping this weekend. Headed to the Lake of the Ozarks to fish and relax. I guess it's like camping without the wheels. Will take the boat out, but it gets crazy around here on holidays. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170901/e603dfd492b07f236bc50880707dcf15.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170901/8e5afc442b5c5b966cf44c9e9313ae6c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170901/e3043679da8a6694a0e206e8a98d124f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DAN d
09-01-2017, 08:22 AM
staying home next wk end normandy farms (ma)

DAN d
09-01-2017, 08:23 AM
have a good safe wk end every one

B-O-B'03
09-01-2017, 08:34 AM
We are staying put, my Sister and crew are driving up from all the flooding in Spring/Houston, assuming the roads out are clear and they can find gas.

Have a safe and fun weekend everyone.

-Brian

Gegrad
09-01-2017, 08:56 AM
About to head out to Pocahontas State Park up near Richmond, VA. Will be getting there and setting up in he rain. :(

xrated
09-01-2017, 10:05 AM
We had made plans to tow the T.H. down to Murphy, N.C. (about 70 miles away)and stay at River's Edge campground as a base for three days of motorcycle riding in N.C., North GA, and maybe even into S.C.......then, Harvey decided to pay our area a visit after it left the Texas area. So, we cancelled and will be staying here, but going riding locally on Sunday and Monday and just coming home each evening.

canesfan
09-01-2017, 10:32 AM
About to head out to Pocahontas State Park up near Richmond, VA. Will be getting there and setting up in he rain. :(

Say hey to everyone up there for me. One of my favorite places to just hang out. Planning a few day outing up there next week if I can swing it. Watch out for the spots in the back that turn into streams when it rains. I know them all.

CrazyCain
09-01-2017, 11:07 AM
We had our first frost last night, the edges of the leaves on the "maders" are a little "tinged" so it won't be long before we'll be pulling them up, hanging them upside down in the pole barn so the rest will ripen. Sad part is we lost 2 settings of "maders" this past spring to frost and these that were planted after all the frost and did survive have only just started bearing "maders" a couple weeks ago, so to those who have been eating "ripe 'maders" all summer, we've got 3 or 4 salads and it looks like the frost will get the rest.....

At least with the frost, the "skeeters" won't be as bad and we can sit around the fire pit without swatting...

So, we'll be staying home, I'll be getting the ATV's ready to store and might even get the snowmobiles out, tuned up, fresh "alcohol free gas" and of course, it's time to make sure all the tree stands are hung, leaned against trees, secure and in the right places. That means "harvesting all the SD cards from game cams that have been snapping pictures all summer. Lots of work to do and no time for camping this weekend, besides all the campgrounds around here are full. We'll wait till next week, head to our favorite bass lake, spend a few days relaxing and contemplating all the yard work as the leaves begin to turn colors and start to fall......

Might be a few open spots at the Wal Mart Campground John! :lol:

CrazyCain
09-01-2017, 11:10 AM
We are not camping, but driving a few hours North tomorrow to go tubing on the Rifle River in Sterling Michigan. Buddy has 20 acres on the river so a day trip is on the agenda. Wont have to mess with the traffic as much.
:ermm:

Tbos
09-01-2017, 11:22 AM
My backyard. Rain Friday and Saturday, nice in time for everyone to go home Monday. Might head out to a favorite SP next week after the crowds leave.

Tom, you're about 15-20 minutes from me just on the other side of I-64.

You can always come out and visit. Hope to have a campfire tomorrow night. For now we are just enjoying the time away from home. The CG was only about a 3rd full this morning. Who knows what it will be like tonight.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

Desert185
09-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Staying home to avoid the holiday melee of folks seeking relaxful enjoyment. :rolleyes:

Will ready the toy hauler and quad for 10 days at the Reno Air Races beginning Saturday next week. I heart airplane noise. :thumbsup:

F1 at Monza this weekend.:cool:

Dave W
09-01-2017, 12:50 PM
We will be at the Acadia National Park area and staying at a CG in Elsworth, Maine, Timberland Acres, until Monday when we move further up the coast. The area is already very crowded with campers and vacationers with more moving in as I post this. FWIW, we have been in CGs all over the US and have never seen as many big buck, mega size motor homes as we have here.

CaptnJohn
09-01-2017, 08:54 PM
I'll be at Ocean Isle Beach with my boat at the marina just 4 minutes away. My Montana will be in storage as I'll be home!

jimmymac60
09-02-2017, 03:45 AM
We are staying home. Let the masses have their fun. 2 weeks from now, we head to the lake.

xrated
09-02-2017, 04:20 AM
No camping this weekend. Headed to the Lake of the Ozarks to fish and relax. I guess it's like camping without the wheels. Will take the boat out, but it gets crazy around here on holidays. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170901/e603dfd492b07f236bc50880707dcf15.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170901/8e5afc442b5c5b966cf44c9e9313ae6c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170901/e3043679da8a6694a0e206e8a98d124f.jpg

Chip.....I've been to Lake of the Ozarks many times over the years. When I was a kid, back in the early 60's, and for probably 10 years or more, our family went there every summer around July 4th. Of course it wasn't nearly as "grown up" then as it is now and tourism stuff is everywhere. I can't remember exactly where we went to except that it was called Red Arrow Resort and we were down a gravel road to the "resort" and it was probably 10 miles or so to the big town of "Rocky Mount". Back then, the population signs (two of them about 600' apart) read.....Rocky Mount.....population 6".

MarcS
09-02-2017, 04:50 AM
We've been at Wilderness State Park in Michigan all week. Heading back to the cabin in St. Helen tomorrow to avoid all the traffic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ctbruce
09-02-2017, 04:56 AM
Chip.....I've been to Lake of the Ozarks many times over the years. When I was a kid, back in the early 60's, and for probably 10 years or more, our family went there every summer around July 4th. Of course it wasn't nearly as "grown up" then as it is now and tourism stuff is everywhere. I can't remember exactly where we went to except that it was called Red Arrow Resort and we were down a gravel road to the "resort" and it was probably 10 miles or so to the big town of "Rocky Mount". Back then, the population signs (two of them about 600' apart) read.....Rocky Mount.....population 6".Rocky Mount has all grown up with some really nice homes in the 7-8 hundred thousand stratosphere. We're at Sunrise Beach on the Little Niangua. I decided a long time ago to never grow up. Happy Holiday to you and yours.

JRTJH
09-02-2017, 06:14 AM
Might be a few open spots at the Wal Mart Campground John! :lol:

We were in town last night and the WalMart campground was packed. Only 1 18 wheeler but there were at least 40 RV's of all kinds. At this rate, they'll have to build a new parking lot for customers who just want to shop... :facepalm:

chuckster57
09-02-2017, 06:38 AM
Well we are delivering 4 new units today, wonder if any of the customers have plans. Not on topic but news reported last night that San Francisco set an all time record of 106 degrees yesterday.

sourdough
09-02-2017, 06:53 AM
We are sticking in our vacation house here in the NM mountains. The little town 4 miles down the road from us goes from a population of about 750 to 10-15,000 over a holiday so we just stay away. Plus, deer season just opened so that always draws lots of folks in - just too much craziness to get out. Waiting for the end of Oct. to head to FL.

xrated
09-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Rocky Mount has all grown up with some really nice homes in the 7-8 hundred thousand stratosphere. We're at Sunrise Beach on the Little Niangua. I decided a long time ago to never grow up. Happy Holiday to you and yours.

Holy Cow.....I'm sure I wouldn't recognize it. I looked on a google map since I posted last and there is a road, not far from Rocky Mount named "Red Arrow Road"....so I'm assuming that is is the road that the resort was named after and was probably on that road. I don't see a listing for the resort anymore, but the folks that owned it back then were probably in their 50's or 60's. It's funny I still remember their last name.... Golden. It sure is beautiful in that part of mid MO and I have a lot of fond memories from those times. Thanks for mentioning it, I've had a trip down memory lane this morning! :D

Have a great holiday weekend yourself and stay safe!

5J's
09-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Well just be hanging out here in town doing more hurricane Harvey relief efferts.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

IV nurse
09-03-2017, 04:28 AM
I'm headed to my recliner!! Safest spot in the state, and it's supposed to be 110+ degrees. We DONT camp on holiday weekends.

Me neither! We stay far, far away!

RedRocket
09-03-2017, 06:12 PM
We stayed pretty close to home this holiday. Me and my son did stay in the camper last night, my daughter stayed out there most of the day today. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170904/222e51337e00dc513bf27f70e68a6176.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Tbos
09-04-2017, 03:04 PM
We stayed pretty close to home this holiday. Me and my son did stay in the camper last night, my daughter stayed out there most of the day today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Happy Face! Happy Face! Some of the best campout are in the backyard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gearhead
09-04-2017, 05:55 PM
John...thanks for the post about your 'madders. I need to find a few for fall planting. My eggplant are probably 5ft wide with branches on the ground. Refig is full and more to be picked.
I think all the rain killed my 2 young plum trees. Drowned roots I guess.
We are laying low until my back gets better. Probably 3-5 weeks. Maybe do a Texas Hill Country state park or south Louisiana. Kicking around the idea of the Texas NASCAR race in November.

JRTJH
09-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Gearhead,

I covered the tomatoes last night, "cold rain" this morning didn't do them any favors. I do hope I get a few more weeks before a heavy frost, but it's that time of year. I got two tree stands in the woods today, two more later this week and I'll have that behind me. There's a big black bear that's been hanging around one of my spots. And this year I didn't apply for a bear tag, just my luck. We'll see if I can keep him in that area until next season, but my luck, he'll either get shot, run over or hungry and move on.... Oh well, I don't need another bearskin rug anyway....

We were going to head south in November for a couple of months, but with the hurricane situation, not sure if there'll be a campground and as active as the season has been, it may be "touch and go" to make any plans for the southeast. My DW "told me today" that she's planning on staying right here until after February, so I suppose I'll start getting the travel trailer cleaned up and checked out, ready to winterize and maybe make a "ice covered escape" early next year.

I hope your back keeps getting better... Stay on top of what they tell you NOT to do. Screw it up and it'll take forever to reheal, if it does at all.... Patience is a virtue, especially post-op.....

gearhead
09-04-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm kicking around getting back into duck hunting. I scouted the COE campground at Dam B, Lake Steinhagen. Either there or the Trinity Bay marsh. May be just wishful thinking though. You know how Texas is..very little public land for big game.
10-4 on the healing.

Dave W
09-05-2017, 04:56 AM
We pulled out of the Bar Harbor area CG --- there were just too many people. We have reservations to go back the end of the week just so we can drive and hike Acadia NP as well as visit the actual city of Bar Harbor. We did enjoy Mt Desert area - seems that you almost need a guide to find the area since the road to there doesn't tell you where it goes. We moved about 50 miles up the road and are in a very small CG. Totally quiet with the Atlantic a hundred yards or less behind us. We will be watching Hurricane Irma's track as this is just too close to the potential of very heavy winds.