PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protector Indications

Tbos
08-30-2017, 05:54 AM
I have a Surge Guard 44260 plug in 30 amp. This summer I have noticed the following at several campgrounds. When I plug it in without load the indicators show everything is good. At some CGs when I load it by running the AC, HWH, & Fridge it shows a red LED to indicate reverse polarity. Everything in the TT still works properly. Last weekend we tried it though a 50-30 adapter and no change. We tried it on another pedestal with my TT and it still did it. We tried it with a different TT on the 2nd pedestal and it still did it. At that point we thought we had a surge protector that was going bad under load. I brought the TT home hooked it up to my 30A turned on the same items and everything is fine in the TT and on the surge protector. This has happened at other CGs too. Does anyone have any ideas? Do all these places have issues? Is my surge protector going bad? Thanks in advance.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

JRTJH
08-30-2017, 07:29 AM
You may have a faulty surge protector. There is a specific troubleshooting guide published by Surge-Guard titled: "Before You Call".... You can download it here: http://trci.net/media/71687/before%20you%20call%20guide_for%20website2.pdf

Use the steps in that guide, if you can't identify a "wiring problem" with the pedestal, then you might want to contact them with your findings. I had more than one Sperry Circuit Tester fail over the years from internal circuit problems and a couple of them did exactly what you're describing, so it may be that your Surge Guard 44260 has an internal problem. Let us know what you find so we can all "learn what happened".....

ftrupe
08-30-2017, 09:33 AM
I was in a campground last week and my surge protector showed reverse polarity. The site next to me was vacant, so I plugged it in and it showed "correct." I contacted the management and they said it is a busy site and has been used for years. I requested someone come by to check it out. Sure enough, the black and white wires were reversed on the 30 amp outlet. The maintenance guy couldn't believe it since it was actually labeled "black" and "white". It was an easy fix and he thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

sourdough
08-30-2017, 10:27 AM
It's very possible it's a bad surge protector, but.....

I've been to campgrounds where the power peds are willy nilly and there's no telling what's going on. I always have my voltmeter with me to check where possible. I was in one remote campground where every time I connected (30a service to 50a adapter) it showed no ground. I had been there looking the place over the week before and a camper had been in the spot. I took my meter and went site to site (no one was there at the time) and found most peds did not have a ground, some had hot/neutral reversed etc. - crazy. I found one that was intact and set up. The next day some bow hunters moved into the initial spot I checked. They just plugged in and everything was A OK. I advised them that there was no ground in the ped and they didn't care - but I do.

Tbos
08-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. This surge protector has saved me more than once by identifying a problem with the pedestal. What I find interesting now is that it shows good until there is a large load. As the load increases the LED goes from green to orange and then red. At home it's always good. At some CGs it's good. I'll have to get some new meter leads and do some checking on the pedestal next time there is a fault indication.

JRTJH
08-30-2017, 03:11 PM
Watch the Harbor Freight ads in magazines. There's usually a "free with $5 purchase coupon". Recently (this past 18 months or so) there has been a coupon for a "free" digital voltmeter. It's not the best, probably not the most accurate and definitely not "mil standard" equipment. But it's ideal to throw in a tool bag in the RV for those "gotta check" moments and at the price, if it's left on a picnic table or if it gets crushed under a socket set, the price to replace it is manageable for most any budget..... I've got 6 or 8 laying around in cars, trucks, ATV's and the trailer.

captcolour
08-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Watch the Harbor Freight ads in magazines. There's usually a "free with $5 purchase coupon". Recently (this past 18 months or so) there has been a coupon for a "free" digital voltmeter. It's not the best, probably not the most accurate and definitely not "mil standard" equipment. But it's ideal to throw in a tool bag in the RV for those "gotta check" moments and at the price, if it's left on a picnic table or if it gets crushed under a socket set, the price to replace it is manageable for most any budget..... I've got 6 or 8 laying around in cars, trucks, ATV's and the trailer.
I have one of those freebies too!

Tbos
08-30-2017, 05:54 PM
I have one of those meters too. I also have a 35yr old Radio Shack version of a Simpson 260 analog style meter. Unfortunately the leads for both have failed inside the insulated ends. I'll find a set somewhere. No HF close by.

Johnny's Journey
08-30-2017, 09:20 PM
With so many camp grounds being wrong makes me wonder is your trailer cord wired incorrectly to your panel ? Black (hot 120v) and White (neutral) crossed ? Time to test polarity with a different source other than your surge protector to be sure.

Tbos
09-01-2017, 06:45 AM
No problems in our current CG. We tried the surge guard on another TT at the last CG and it had the same indications under load. I will check my TT to make sure all connections are correct and tight.