PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Harvey Flood

Roadweary56
08-28-2017, 11:36 AM
My 2017 Avalanche is in an area that is flooding. It is my first RV and I wondered how much flooding these things can withstand. It is a 42' 12,000 lb 5th wheel.

Javi
08-28-2017, 11:48 AM
If it gets above the tires it's toast..

Roadweary56
08-28-2017, 12:08 PM
So can I stick a propeller up its butt and sell it as a yacht?

chuckster57
08-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Once the water level reaches the underbelly, it's going to start soaking anything underneath. Depending on how long it stays submerged, you could replace the coroplast, insulation and the wiring might dry out.

If the water level reaches the top of the frame, your wood subfloor is going to soak it up like a sponge. At that point, your looking at a total loss. It won't float so it doesn't qualify as a yacht. Sorry.

hornet28
08-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Hopefully your insurance will cover the loss

Roadweary56
08-28-2017, 01:03 PM
It is still coming down and many roads flooded. I doubt that I will get to the RV for another week. We only got to use it twice so it is a real shame. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Tbos
08-28-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your potential loss. Maybe it will be high enough and will be ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roadweary56
08-28-2017, 01:35 PM
Thank you Tbos. My family is safe and dry for now so I am blessed. Everything else is just stuff.

ctbruce
08-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Stay safe, that's the number one rule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

gearhead
09-02-2017, 04:24 AM
Let us know what it looks like when you get to it.

CaptnJohn
09-02-2017, 06:56 AM
Let us know what it looks like when you get to it.

Hoping for good news!

sourdough
09-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Have a friend who has a vacation home here in this little mountain town with us. He got a call from his son that their house in League City had 4' of water in it and the car was under water in the garage. They borrowed a camper from a friend and left yesterday to go back and start tearing out stuff. Hope your situation is better. I've got a couple of friends in Montgomery near Conroe but have not heard from them.

Desert185
09-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Gearhead, how are you doing?

gearhead
09-02-2017, 05:20 PM
We're good. River is high against the levee, maybe got within 4 ft of topping. Got out for the first time today. Nat Guard camped out in town. Some standing water around. Ditches, bayous have nowhere to drain. Lake Livingston dam cut outflow big time. Some strong low tides would help to pull the bay and river down. We are good and all family is good.

Desert185
09-02-2017, 05:35 PM
We're good. River is high against the levee, maybe got within 4 ft of topping. Got out for the first time today. Nat Guard camped out in town. Some standing water around. Ditches, bayous have nowhere to drain. Lake Livingston dam cut outflow big time. Some strong low tides would help to pull the bay and river down. We are good and all family is good.

:thumbsup:

sourdough
09-02-2017, 05:40 PM
gearhead - if I recall your still dealing with some medical issues so take it easy and take care. Good luck to you.

gearhead
09-03-2017, 07:11 AM
see if these pics from facebook will open for you...
https://www.facebook.com/picturesbyshondaphotography/photos/a.1580920538639210.1073742065.403050969759512/1580923235305607/?type=3&theater

gearhead
09-03-2017, 07:16 AM
gearhead - if I recall your still dealing with some medical issues so take it easy and take care. Good luck to you.

Yeah I'm 2 weeks out from back surgery. Just quit the Hydrocodone pills 4 days ago. A bit of pain is more manageable that the side effects of codeine.
I should be good in a few weeks. Follow up appt with the Doc Sept 21.
Thanks to all for the well wishes.

gbsb
09-03-2017, 12:23 PM
So sorry for your loss. We are just west of San Antonio and did not get any damage at all. I was hoping for our 2010 Fusion to get flooded ( LOL )I tried selling it but we are still upside down and can't get rid of it. That is the way it goes. I do hope insurance covers your loss, I have insurance that pays me the original cost of the unit should it get totaled. Hope you all are safe after the flooding we have donated to the recovery efforts and GOD bless TEXAS.

B-O-B'03
09-03-2017, 01:03 PM
see if these pics from facebook will open for you...
https://www.facebook.com/picturesbyshondaphotography/photos/a.1580920538639210.1073742065.403050969759512/1580923235305607/?type=3&theater

Gotta be able to login to facebook to see them, leaves me out.

My sister and hubby were visiting this weekend, came up from Spring, flooding from Spring Creek and the San Jacinto river came within 2 feet of the their house and others in the neighborhood were flooded.

Before they built on the lot they brought in ~350 truck loads of dirt to build it up... good thing.

-Brian

gearhead
09-03-2017, 01:18 PM
I'm new to the Facebook thing. I was looking for GoDevil engine parts and some vendors didn't have a website, just facebook. If your feeling like you need something in your email "inbox", just sign up for Facebook. Jeez. I start getting around good and the weather cools off I'll be ignoring it.

Roadweary56
09-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Finally got to the RV and everything looked great. Me and the wife were high fixing and generally pretty proud of our little selves. Towed it to the dealership for some warranty work and our salesman came out and asked how bad it was. He then pointed out the sagging belly. I guess while towing it, the water that had gotten above the underbelly caused it to bulge.
I can feel inside and the subfloor feels dry but the insulation is wet and the material (looks like plastic cardboard?) of the subfloor has pulled away in one small area. They are looking at it now.

sourdough
09-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Finally got to the RV and everything looked great. Me and the wife were high fixing and generally pretty proud of our little selves. Towed it to the dealership for some warranty work and our salesman came out and asked how bad it was. He then pointed out the sagging belly. I guess while towing it, the water that had gotten above the underbelly caused it to bulge.
I can feel inside and the subfloor feels dry but the insulation is wet and the material (looks like plastic cardboard?) of the subfloor has pulled away in one small area. They are looking at it now.

Hopefully you didn't get a lot in there and it didn't hurt the flooring. If it didn't it shouldn't be a bid deal to repair. Good luck.

sourdough
09-08-2017, 02:46 PM
I'm new to the Facebook thing. I was looking for GoDevil engine parts and some vendors didn't have a website, just facebook. If your feeling like you need something in your email "inbox", just sign up for Facebook. Jeez. I start getting around good and the weather cools off I'll be ignoring it.

Watch the Facebook thing. Everyone kept telling me to get on it and use it so I got on it. Don't use it much but I've gotten 3 viruses from it, one cost me $400 to get off and it completely wiped out my email sent box...and started sending everyone on Facebook tacky little messages - sheesh. I try to stay away from it - so be careful what you look at or open. And yes, if you want a lot of "stuff" in your inbox, Facebook is the way to get it.:facepalm:

Roadweary56
09-15-2017, 02:06 PM
Finally got to look at the rv today. They dropped the plastic looking material on the front half of the rv. It will need replacing, insulation will need replacing and they are currently checking the wiring. Estimated to be a few thousand between labor and material. It could have been so much worse. Another 3-4 inches and it would have been a write off. Another few weeks and I am good to go.

Tbos
09-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Finally got to look at the rv today. They dropped the plastic looking material on the front half of the rv. It will need replacing, insulation will need replacing and they are currently checking the wiring. Estimated to be a few thousand between labor and material. It could have been so much worse. Another 3-4 inches and it would have been a write off. Another few weeks and I am good to go.

That's good news. Hope the repair goes well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk