PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Slide Out Carpeting with Vinyl

Skippy38
08-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Has anyone done this? The carpeting in my 29RLI is kind of cheap and is starting to crack and separate where it gets scrunched up when you close the slide. Looks like the slide floor is just plywood covered with a carbon fiber membrane so it should be easy enough to replace the carpet with vinyl and put an end cap on it. Just wondering if anyone has done it and how it went....

chuckster57
08-25-2017, 11:26 AM
When you see carpet, it means the slide is meant to glide across it. If you replace with vinyl flirting, the slide will scuff across the floor. You would need to install rollers for the slide to move on. It would be easier to replace the carpet IMO.

Skippy38
08-25-2017, 11:37 AM
When you see carpet, it means the slide is meant to glide across it. If you replace with vinyl flirting, the slide will scuff across the floor. You would need to install rollers for the slide to move on. It would be easier to replace the carpet IMO.

I understand. The main floor is vinyl from the factory, the SLIDE is carpeted so the function of the slide would not be altered, only the top surface of the slide out. Get me?

chuckster57
08-25-2017, 11:48 AM
Oh, guess I misread. Been driving the last 4 hrs and finally stopped.
Putting vinyl on the slide floor would be an easy task, and you can use 1/4 round molding to finish the edges.
Two choices: floating floor with edges stapled or glue down. Personally I would "float" the floor as I have seen glue down repairs develop "waves".