PDA

View Full Version : New RVer's Thoughts on Extended Warranty

TXVetDan
08-23-2017, 04:28 PM
We are new to RVing and are finalizing purchase of a Sprindale Summerland 2450 RB (without slide). Just staying simple for weekend trips to State Parks (Texas) and small trips now that we are retired.
My question is on purchasing an extended warranty. Got a quote from the dealer on an extended warranty (5 year) from their 3rd party folks "First Extended Service Corporation". Price of the warranty is about what we paid for a CAR warranty on our Prius! Geez.
Looking over the brochure, looks like it's geared to more Motor Homes which of course covers items we don't need in a warranty. I can certainly do very simple repairs (calking, sealing, washers, gaskets, etc.) myself but I'm not very mechanically inclined for bigger things.
So in view of the trailer being pretty basic (no slide) do I really need the extended warranty?
Second, since this extended warranty is third party, will I experience problems when traveling getting service from other than the dealer that sold the trailer to me?
Third, the Keystone 2 year warranty - if we are traveling out of area and experience a problem needing repairs will it be a problem getting this done at another dealer.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Vet4jdc
08-23-2017, 04:52 PM
First of all, it's an RV.....things will break. I haven't seen one yet that didn't have a few items that will break from poor construction, poor quality, etc. If you have major things go wrong while under warranty, of course you will go to the dealer for repairs. If they are minor things like a leaky sink or a sticking door latch, you will spray some WD40 or add some plumbers tape and call it a day. I for one do not like extended warranties and would prefer to spend my money elsewhere. When something breaks on our five year old fifth wheel, I simply get the parts and fix it. I probably haven't spent more than $100 bucks fixing things in the last 4 years. That's my 2 cents! Good luck!

Canonman
08-23-2017, 05:07 PM
We bought the extended warranty with our Cougar. Glad we did. Paid for itself this last trip to the shop.
This is really an insurance policy. Be SURE to read what it does NOT cover. They have to list the exceptions. Ours mostly covers things mechanical, (slides, A/C, fridge, water heater etc.) electrical and some plumbing. The real key is to maintain a service record and be able to show that in fact you did do the PM that each of the device manufacturers (not the TT manufacturer) requires in the owner's manuals. Hand written notes will work. Date time what was done and what if any issues were discovered. It's a PITA! But, when the slide wipers on our Cougar began to tear it was nice to only pay $50 to have them replaced.
RV's have a lot of things that can/will fail. If the price is right I'd go for it based on our experience.

JRTJH
08-23-2017, 05:29 PM
As stated above, an extended warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy that covers "some things" and doesn't cover "a lot more things"... Essentially, you have a 1 year Keystone warranty and all the major appliances, awning, water pump, axles, etc have a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer. Some of the items have a 3 year warranty. So, buying a 5 year extended warranty is really buying a 3 year warrant that starts after everything the "should break" has been given ample opportunity to do so and be repaired using the manufacturer's warranty.

So, is the extended warranty worth the price? For some, yes, for most, probably not. Only you can decide whether or not you need it or want it. Remember, many items are not covered so read the policy very carefully and realize that you also have a deductible on every repair. Most policies do not "lump repairs with one deductible" but require that you pay a separate deductible for each item that breaks. So if you take it in for a broken A/C and a broken water pump, your deductible is probably going to be $200 rather than the "hundred dollar deductible" advertised in the big print.

Read the policy very carefully before you buy it. It may be worth your while and it may not. Only you can decide.

gearhead
08-23-2017, 07:48 PM
We bought the extended warranty only because my wife told me we were. Depending on what appliances are in your Rv, Dometic?, they should have 2 year warranties. After that you can buy extended warranties year to year for the A/C, refrigerator, etc. I would recommend buying that.
You will likely find that getting the dealer to do warranty work is not a pleasant task. It takes forever. For me, in the future, I will just roll the dice. It's too frustrating dealing with the dealer. Find you a Mom and Pop Rv repair shop that you trust to do any work that you don't want to do yourself.

Javi
08-24-2017, 04:01 AM
My solution to Extended Warranties.....

Refuse them...

Put $50 a week or even a $100 a month... into a separate savings account earmarked for RV....

If you need to fix something that isn't already under warranty... pay for it... Use an independent RV repair center (usually cheaper than dealer & quicker too)

If you haven't spent all the money fixing stuff when it's time to trade RVs then use some or most of the money as down payment and start building the balance again.. After all.... nearly everything in or on the RV is covered for at least a year... and many things for two years... Save that money...

bill-e
08-24-2017, 06:21 AM
I think a lot has to do with a person's DIY ability and financial status. Extended warranties are good for piece of mind, and on occasion can save you money. Typically the price of the warranty is high enough that it would cover the replacement of a fridge and other items if you just kept it in the bank. many common high failure parts are not going to break the bank if you can buy and install them yourself but if your situation is that you need to rely on the dealer, then it might be a good idea to get the warranty and bring the trailer in yearly for an inspection.

I actually purchased my first extended warranty for my 2015 Ram Ecodiesel but it is fully refundable if I cancel it before the end of the term and they haven't expended the purchase price of the warranty on claims. I think I paid like $1699 for the warranty and as long as expenses are even $1 under that I get the purchase price back.