PDA

View Full Version : Removing tires for mounting

jkohler70
08-21-2017, 06:45 AM
I have new tires on order, and I'll remove the wheels and take them to a local tire shop for mounting. I have a bottle jack, and with wood blocks can get one wheel off. I'd like to remove one side at a time, but I'm not sure how to support it. It's too high for my jack stands. Can I set the axles on wood blocks?

chuckster57
08-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Any axle support needs to be as far outboard as possible. You could jack the axle at the Ubolt and then set a jack stand just inside of the U bolt.

Desert185
08-21-2017, 07:04 AM
Support the trailer with the landing gear legs and rear stabilizers.

Place appropriately rated jack stands under frame forward and aft of wheel wells. Use wood blocks, if necessary.

Jack under spring perch at outboard end of axle to raise wheel off ground.

Remove wheel and lower jack.

Repeat at each wheel.

Reverse procedure to install new tires.

Don't do this on a windy day.

You only have to jack the axle enough to compress the spring to remove the wheel. You don't have to jack the trailer up.

notanlines
08-21-2017, 02:15 PM
Sorry, I didn't read the post close enough. Thus I deleted before anyone found out what an ignorant statement I made.

bobbecky
08-21-2017, 04:07 PM
I have seen using jack stands, lower the tongue of the trailer down as far as it can go, place jack stands under the frame toward the rear of the trailer, then raise the tongue of the trailer as high as it will go and place jack stands under the frame at the front. Then, if the tires aren't fully clear of the ground, you can then use a jack to raise the end of each axle the last little bit of the way to remove that tire, and the rest the same way, each time letting the axle hang after removing the tire, and all your brakes will be off the ground when the wheels are removed. Reverse the process when putting the new wheel/tires back on.

rhagfo
08-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Is the tire dealer lot too small for your TV and trailer? I took our 32' 5er to the local Discount Tire no issues in the lot.

chuckster57
08-21-2017, 07:15 PM
I have seen using jack stands, lower the tongue of the trailer down as far as it can go, place jack stands under the frame toward the rear of the trailer, then raise the tongue of the trailer as high as it will go and place jack stands under the frame at the front. Then, if the tires aren't fully clear of the ground, you can then use a jack to raise the end of each axle the last little bit of the way to remove that tire, and the rest the same way, each time letting the axle hang after removing the tire, and all your brakes will be off the ground when the wheels are removed. Reverse the process when putting the new wheel/tires back on.
Doing this can cause the axles to flip the shackles. Doesn't hurt anything, but make sure the shackles are pointed UP when your done.