PDA

View Full Version : How much generator do I need....

drjimd
08-20-2017, 09:59 AM
Our 5th wheel is a Cougar XLite 26 RLS and the standard air conditioner is a 13,500 BTU unit. Will a Honda eU2000 portable generator be adequate to run the a/c? Any experience with this setup? Thanks.

JRTJH
08-20-2017, 10:11 AM
No, you will not be able to run the A/C on a Honda 2000 generator. There is a modification kit that you can purchase for about $300 that will allow you to do that, but without the kit, it won't work.

You "could possibly" turn off everything in your trailer (including the converter) and power up the A/C, but depending on the outside temperature, if it's very hot, you won't be able to restart the A/C once it begins to cycle. So, since the hotter it gets the more you'll want A/C and the hotter it gets the more difficult it is to operate it on a single 2000 watt generator, the probability goes down when you need it most.

bobbecky
08-20-2017, 02:13 PM
We started out with a single Honda 2000, and it worked fine keeping the batteries charged and was able to use most appliances. We were back east a few years ago in mild weather, but once it got above 90, I went out to get a 2000 Companion with the special cable set, and we were once again comfortable with one of the ACs working. I also put together a six gallon gas tank with a hose kit and the aftermarket gas caps to extended run them. We've run them continuously for up to five days, just adding gas to the plastic gas tank.

notanlines
08-20-2017, 02:21 PM
What John and Bob ^^^^ said. Just face up to needing 3K or two 2K's harnessed together. The arguments and discussions go on ad infinitum, but the simple answer to your question is "no."
And welcome to the forum by the way, presently from Houlton, Maine. (On our way to Labrador)

theeyres
08-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Yep, we had the 2000 for our fiver and it worked great to keep our batteries charged, running the TV, doing about anything but running the AC. You just need a lot more power.

xcntrk
08-21-2017, 03:25 AM
No, you will not be able to run the A/C on a Honda 2000 generator. There is a modification kit that you can purchase for about $300 that will allow you to do that, but without the kit, it won't work.
Are you referring to a hard-start capacitor for the AC? Even with that, I doubt a 2k watt gene could run the AC + converter.

JRTJH
08-21-2017, 06:21 AM
Are you referring to a hard-start capacitor for the AC? Even with that, I doubt a 2k watt gene could run the AC + converter.

No, a hard start capacitor won't help run it. I'm referring to the Micro-Aire system that has been posted several times on the forum recently. It's about a $300 "add-on" that is supposed to reduce the amount of power required to operate the A/C. I have "ZIP" "ZERO" "NADA" experience with it and I was only referring to the posts that have been on the forum and the link that was provided in them.

first time 5er
08-21-2017, 02:42 PM
I have a 3400 champion. Much cheaper than the red ones and runs my whole set up
I'm happy with it

WaltBennett
08-23-2017, 06:03 AM
We could start and run the 13k btu AC on our old bumper pull with the Yamaha 2400is we had then, but couldn't run the 15k on our Montana. Yamaha also doesn't make the 2400 any more. Don't ask me why.

GHen
08-23-2017, 07:23 AM
We had a group dry camping last weekend. I brought my Honda 2000 and companion. I was able to run my 2017 Coleman max 15,000 on one Honda 2000 with nothing else on. Put about 6 hours on the one generator without issues, but I soon as I turned on the converter, it would overload. Still I was very happy to run the air on one. When we tested it on a couple new Dometic 13,500, they would immediately cause an overload on the Honda's. No problem running them with both of the Honda's. The Coleman was fresh from the factory so they must have made some improvements to reduce start up requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkiSmuggs
08-24-2017, 09:02 AM
The Micro-Air Easy Start is the add on and I've seen videos of folks starting the 13.5 and 15K ACs with a 2000 generator after the installation. I actually have one waiting to install on my 15K AC. The device is smart and analyzes AC starting requirements during about 7 start ups on full current and reduces the starting requirement by about 60%. It also starts the fan first which wakes the generator from Eco mode, then starts the compressor 5 seconds later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soP0uZFd0nQ&t=4s