PDA

View Full Version : Can I Tow...

Desert185
08-19-2017, 08:10 AM
Someone asked on another forum if it was OK to tow a 15K fiver with an 8800# GW, 1994 Dodge Cummins 600 miles to some land they had. Having had a '94 (with rear drum brakes), I said no. The pin weight alone would put that truck at 10,000# with a GCVW over 20,000#. Of course, there were those who disagreed...

I'm certainly not a member of the Weight Police, but there is a limit beyond the limit. 600 feet. OK. 600 miles. No bueno.:facepalm:

ctbruce
08-19-2017, 08:22 AM
I'm sure they went ahead and did it anyway. I think all people really want to know is if there is anyone else listening who is as crazy as they are. If somebody/anybody has/would do it, that's good enough. It's just the way people is....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

xrated
08-19-2017, 09:36 AM
This forum, and a couple other RV forums that I am on, usually have common sense members (mostly), that not only have a lot of experience towing heavy and have been through the trial and error method and are able to give good advice based on facts. To me, it's just about the total opposite when you go on the diesel truck forums. There are some that know what they are talking about, but in my opinion, the majority will usually say.........I've got or had that same truck and I pulled the Sears Tower to Chicago with it.....I couldn't even tell it was back there! And so when the OP sees that, it's like he's been given a "green light" to buy/tow whatever he wants and damn the common sense.....the other guy did it and I can too.

hankpage
08-19-2017, 10:21 AM
I had a '94 before my present truck. It was a great truck but I will say one thing ..... With only 160 HP and on modern ULSD fuel they did not break any speed limits when they towed it. They only made standard cabs that year and payload was 3,265 with max trailer 10,500 for 3:54 rear.
Probably okay on payload but as mentioned rear drum brakes and only 400 ft. lbs. peak torque ... not off to the races starting or stopping. Lower rear may have had a higher tow rating but I doubt 15,000. JM2¢, Hank

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=1389

Desert185
08-19-2017, 11:25 AM
I had a '94 before my present truck. It was a great truck but I will say one thing ..... With only 160 HP and on modern ULSD fuel they did not break any speed limits when they towed it. They only made standard cabs that year and payload was 3,265 with max trailer 10,500 for 3:54 rear.
Probably okay on payload but as mentioned rear drum brakes and only 400 ft. lbs. peak torque ... not off to the races starting or stopping. Lower rear may have had a higher tow rating but I doubt 15,000. JM2¢, Hank

Ours was a 4x4 auto. It weighed just under 7,000#, with an 8,800# GW.

Even with a 255/550 torque plate, one ton rear rear wheel cylinders to increase the efficiency of the rear drum brakes, EGR pads and a Suncoast built tranny with deep pan, I just didn't feel comfortable pulling much more than an 8-9,000# bumper pull. The BIL is enjoying it now. Great truck...except for the standard cab and 47RH trans. The 12V is capable of a lot of power. There are just other issues for towing a fiver, especially one weighing 15K.

notanlines
08-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Here I was, readying to tote the Sears Tower up to Milwaukee with my S-10 and X-rated throws a wet blanket on my plans. :lol:
I don't exactly call myself a dues-paying member of the weight police union, but I do like new members to have the right information so they can make the correct decision if they so choose.

Desert185
08-20-2017, 06:51 AM
And...as it turns out he has P rated tires on his 2500. That truck came with LT E tires.

Easy on the BP, Sourdough. I think he's having misgivings about the tow. :D

sourdough
08-20-2017, 11:44 AM
And...as it turns out he has P rated tires on his 2500. That truck came with LT E tires.

Easy on the BP, Sourdough. I think he's having misgivings about the tow. :D

Thanks Desert185. I'm not a certified member of the WP either, rather I try to be a certified member of the CSC (common sense club). I appreciate the thoughts about the BP; I'm now up to 4 medications a day trying to keep it "normal". Guess it's all due to what my HR director called my "type red A" personality. :(

chuckster57
08-20-2017, 11:52 AM
I still run a '94 IDI. I don't try to get pink slips but I know I will get where I'm going.