PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia towing regs

D&BJ
08-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Hi all
We've just committed to a Alpine 3901 and hope to take it through Canada on a leisurely vacation trip to Alaska. We live in Montana and will definitely enter British Columbia. One aspect of the regulations has me concerned, BC requires brakes on all axles if two and not the third, no problem there. There is also a requirement for surge brakes, not sure if the electric brakes suffice.
I've talked to the service department at the dealership and their opinion was the electric is alright. Checked the web and found out that the brakes can be retrofitted, service dept doesn't recommend this.
I called the RCMP traffic and couldn't out wait the delay, next stop will be to email them.

Any confirmation etc is appreciated Thanks in advance

D&BJ

chuckster57
08-18-2017, 08:00 PM
According to this:
http://www.cvse.ca/references_publications/trailer_towing_info_sheet.pdf

Electric brakes on all axles (which you have) with working break away is all you need.

Mike L123
08-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Your electric brakes are just fine. Surge brakes are more commonly found on the tent trailers and smaller flat decks that are light enough, with small enough wheels, to make electric brakes difficult to work with. If you search for the weight vs type of brake requirements your question should be answered. AFAIK the main thing that you need to be wary of is ensuring that your tow vehicle is of the correct heft and power for the trailer that you are towing. BC LE is notorious for picking out over matched truck/trailer combos for roadside weigh ins.

You will definitely love your travels to Alaska - the trip is breathtaking.

Cheers!

Mike

Steve S
08-18-2017, 08:06 PM
According to this:
http://www.cvse.ca/references_publications/trailer_towing_info_sheet.pdf

Electric brakes on all axles (which you have) with working break away is all you need.

X2. I can't remember the last time that I've seen let alone used surge brakes. I think when I had boats they had surge brakes and they were a PIA.
As for electric you're good to go in BC.:):)

chuckster57
08-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Surge brakes are common on boat trailers. Can't have electric brakes in the water..

Festus2
08-18-2017, 09:21 PM
The Ministry of Highways in BC and its website stipulates that brakes are required on all axles, an operational breakaway system is in place and that the brakes are operated by the driver of the tow vehicle from his normal driving position. No mention that I can find about surge brakes as being mandatory on RV's regardless of the number of axles.

If you have the "normal" RV electric braking system you will be good to go in BC so no need to do any modifications.

I wouldn't wait on the RCMP for a prompt reply.

concours
08-19-2017, 07:04 AM
Festus 2 is correct about your braking system you are fine in BC. FYI traffic and vehicle safety is enforced in BC by the DOT and ICBC not the RCMP

D&BJ
08-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Ive got what i need and I'll close the post

Thanks again

D&BJ

Steve S
08-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Surge brakes are common on boat trailers. Can't have electric brakes in the water..

This is far from true, it's becoming more and more common for boat trailers to be equipped with electric brakes over surge brakes.

bert
08-25-2017, 02:45 PM
I was told you need to have a wiring harness receptacle inside the truck box. Tickets if you hand it over the tailgate and plug it in. Situations happen where tight cornering tear out the cable if over the tailgate. Makes sense to me.

chuckster57
08-25-2017, 04:05 PM
This is far from true, it's becoming more and more common for boat trailers to be equipped with electric brakes over surge brakes.

Ok but I bet the brake assemblies aren't electric, and that what I meant.

Festus2
08-25-2017, 05:51 PM
I was told you need to have a wiring harness receptacle inside the truck box. Tickets if you hand it over the tailgate and plug it in. Situations happen where tight cornering tear out the cable if over the tailgate. Makes sense to me.

Bert
While this may be a requirement in Alberta, it is certainly not a requirement in BC. Most trucks have a receptacle beneath the rear bumper and that is where the wiring harness from the TV is commonly plugged in - not in the box of the truck.
The longer the harness, the less likelihood of it tearing out of the receptacle - if it is located in the truck bed. And that is why the receptacle is located as far back on the truck as possible.

Where did you get this information ---"I was told ......"??