PDA

View Full Version : 50amp

Freebirdusa
06-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Is it ok to plug in a 30 amp set up into a 50 amp plug with an adapter?
Just curious....

GMcKenzie
06-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Yes. And I need 10 characters to reply.

Freebirdusa
06-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Dont get your reply. The reason I ask is the campsite I was going to says 50 amp minimum.

jq1031
06-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Is it ok to plug in a 30 amp set up into a 50 amp plug with an adapter?
Just curious....

Using an 30 AMP adapter it's ok, however you will draw just that, 30 AMPS! I've done it a few times.

GMcKenzie
06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Dont get your reply. The reason I ask is the campsite I was going to says 50 amp minimum.

My reply was Yes.

Except that was too short of a reply for the board to accept so I needed to make the reply longer.

Zero issue using an adapter.

Freebirdusa
06-10-2011, 07:29 AM
I didnt know that about the characters. Thanks

Johnnyfry
06-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Was that a notice posted by the campground? If so do you suppose that they meant to say 50 amp maximum? I have never seen a campground outlet larger than 50 amps.

Of course, you can always draw less than the outlet rating, just remember that if you plug a 20 or 30 amp cord into a 50 amp receptacle, the cord itself will not be protected as the breaker is larger than it's rated current. The trailer itself, however, would be protected by the breaker inside the trailer.

The cord might melt.

John

Freebirdusa
06-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Yes Johnny it said 50 amp minimum. You have a point. I decided to camp somewhere else. I couldnt ever get them to answer their phone. Its still good to learn from the replies. Thanks Guys

JRTJH
06-10-2011, 05:20 PM
What campground was it? Sounds like a really "upscale" resort type facility, not a "campground" LOL

LeeMedic
06-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Yes Johnny it said 50 amp minimum. You have a point. I decided to camp somewhere else. I couldnt ever get them to answer their phone. Its still good to learn from the replies. Thanks Guys

That is because they probably have their phone plugged into that 50 amp plug!:D

Freebirdusa
06-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Hey Leemedic,
On your Sprinter..when you get set up at the campsite, how do you run your hot water heater by electric only? Im confused with mine. I have a switch on the wall that glows red (Heater) when switched on. But I also have an on off switch outside behind the panel.

LeeMedic
06-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Hey Leemedic,
On your Sprinter..when you get set up at the campsite, how do you run your hot water heater by electric only? Im confused with mine. I have a switch on the wall that glows red (Heater) when switched on. But I also have an on off switch outside behind the panel.

The switch on the wall (tank level indicator), I believe is for your basement heater. It keeps your pipes from freezing. It is suppose to have forced air is my understanding. I have camped in 24 degree weather with my Sprinter, and never had a freeze up with that switch on. Other campers were trying to figure out a way to thaw their rigs out.

To turn on the water heater, it is electric only, and you need to turn on the switch from the outside.

Freebirdusa
06-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks LeeMedic

66ken
06-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Hey Leemedic,

On my unit the switch on the wall is for heating with LP gas, the switch behind the door on the water heater is for heating with electricity. I run off electricity if I have hookups, also you can turn on the gas and electric at the same time for quicker recovery.

Freebirdusa
06-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Thanks 66Ken
That helps alot. We are brand new to camping. I was just fixing to ask everyone whether they used gas or electric for hot water at sites with electric hook ups. I wonder how much propane the unit uses to run off gas only? It just seems kinda backwards to me that the electric only switch is outside when most people probably camp at full hook up sites. Its more convenient to just flip the switch inside on the wall. Mine works the same way as yours.

GMcKenzie
06-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Only issue I see with the tank on electric is if it is hot and you want to run the AC, fridge and water heater on 110V, you might be pushing 30 amps.

have to pull out the manuals for each to see what the draws are.

Txoutback
06-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Only issue I see with the tank on electric is if it is hot and you want to run the AC, fridge and water heater on 110V, you might be pushing 30 amps.

have to pull out the manuals for each to see what the draws are.

Happened to me. I'll have the A/C and TV on and the electric water heater turns on and trips the 30A breaker. I can assume the fridge was running at the time as well.

GMcKenzie
06-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Festus just posted a list of appliances and average amps.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3054

Looks like I was right that the water heater, fridge and hot water tank can be over the 30 amp mark.

All 3 on right now but doubt the fridge and hot water are working at this second. A/C is on and cooling nicely.
------------------------------

Moderator's note:
The credit for the list of appliances and their amps should go to KanTC........
Festus