PDA

View Full Version : Rocks in my tread ...

SummitPond
08-16-2017, 02:28 PM
... versus rocks in my head, although sometimes it feels that way.

I keep picking out the little pebbles that get stuck in the tread of my Cooper AT/3 tires. What harm is there if I leave them in the tire treads? This doesn't appear to be as big an issue with the TT as the treads aren't as wide or deep.

Thanks.

sourdough
08-16-2017, 02:35 PM
I know of nothing they will do to the tire....unless they're huge and won't come out or something. If a small pebble would hurt the tire rolling over it just think what would happen if the tire was that easily damaged and you ran over a stiff rock road. I've picked out a few pebbles over the years but only because I couldn't stand the tick, tick, tick driving down the street. I wouldn't worry about it.

SummitPond
08-16-2017, 02:38 PM
... I've picked out a few pebbles over the years but only because I couldn't stand the tick, tick, tick driving down the street. ...

I think you hit the nail on the head (ouch!) :banghead: it's the clicking that gets me, which is why I pull them out, but I also wondered if long-term there could be an issue, e.g. additional heat build-up as they're being worn down by the road.

sourdough
08-16-2017, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't think a pebble is going to elevate the temp of the tire. Usually they just get thrown off after a mile or two on the highway. Just find your favorite radio station and turn it up a little till they fall off :)

Javi
08-16-2017, 02:56 PM
I speed up a little and fling them out at the fellow tailgating me... :D

Desert185
08-16-2017, 03:24 PM
I have lived on a dirt/gravel road for 19 years. There's always rocks in my tires. No problems, yet.

Gegrad
08-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Unless it is a giant rock that might cause damage when it come out there really isn't any harm in them. They will come and god natually as you drive.

JRTJH
08-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Rocks in tires is a "foreign object" and can cause significant damage to jet engines. On the flightline tires are always (well supposed to be always) checked for rocks before entering the flightline where the rocks might be slung from the tread and get sucked into a jet engine or cut a tire on an aircraft.

At most airports there's a "rumble strip" that twists the tread to help clean rocks that might be trapped. If your state installs the "rumble strips" on the center line and on the shoulder of the highways, then just "ease over to the edge" and then "ease over to the center" to run your tires on the "rumble strip". Usually that will pull all the pebbles out of your tread.

There shouldn't be any significant problem with rocks as long as they aren't sharp and/or get driven into the tire. We live on a gravel road and I don't think my tires have ever turned over without a rock or two "along for the ride". No problems that I'm aware of except slinging them into the front panel on the trailer.

Ken / Claudia
08-16-2017, 04:48 PM
The danger and damage from rocks in tires comes from the vehicles behind you. Almost a weekly radio call at state police. " help me a vehicle in front of me had a rock fly off and crack my window. Stop them and give them a ticket and make them pay for a new windshield."
Only problem that is a road hazard about same as running over a nail. Nothing that police can do about it.
Now if the rock falls off a load of rock, that driver is a violation.

gearhead
08-16-2017, 06:44 PM
There's only one thing to do and unfortunately you have to do it. Unhook the TT and find a twisty road and drive that truck like you stole it. Somebody has to do it!!
Naaa..like John said..run it over the rumble strips or turn up the radio.

SummitPond
08-17-2017, 02:17 AM
Thank you all. I figured it must be OK, but I just wasn't sure. It's good to know the only damage is to my sanity, what little of it is left. I'll turn up the radio on the surface roads and attempt to find the rumble strips on the highway.

Desert185
08-17-2017, 08:20 AM
And if you want to keep those rocks from hitting the front of the trailer and possibly ricocheting into the tailgate, damaging both, look into a Towtector.

http://www.towtector.com