PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Keystone Cougar 27rls bumper weight capacity

ratowles
08-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Want to add a 2" receiver bumper hitch. Need to know how much weight can this 4" bumper can handle. Thanks in advance for your knowledge and wisdom.

busterbrown
08-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Not much weight at all, to be quite honest. Do an internet search of "RV bumper failures" and you'll see tons of pics and videos illustrating the aftermath of a failure.

When loaded, bumper mount hitches put significant stress on the thin sheet metal that forms the actual bumper. It's not necessarily the welds of the bumper that fail, it's the sheet metal that cannot hold up to the violence of 65 mph high-speed travel.

As far as a weight, I'd say as much as a spare tire and swing arm BBQ weighs. And that's it. If your planning on securing 4 bicycles to a bike rack carrier or mounting a loaded cargo carrier to "bolt on" bumper receiver, you'll be pushing the limits. It's more appropriate (and safer) to have a receiver hitch fabricated and/or welded to directly to the frame rails.

JRTJH
08-12-2017, 02:11 PM
The 4" bumper can't carry much except a sewer hose and a spare tire with rack. If you're considering a "bolt on bumper receiver" similar to the one in this picture, the bumper isn't rated for that and will likely either fail, bend or the welds will break if you add a cargo tray or a bike rack to that type of bumper receiver.

I think the general consensus is: "Don't do it".....

ratowles
08-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks to all. This is what I needed to know.

tomd
10-20-2017, 01:46 PM
We are also looking to mount bikes on rear. The bolt appears to be a weak option, I would agree with the 'don't do it' comment.

Is there a bolt on to the frame? I'd rather not weld onto frame in event it becomes a warranty issue.

JRTJH
10-20-2017, 02:46 PM
Curt markets a frame mounted, bolt on hitch receiver that fits frames up to 72" wide. It will fit most Keystone RV's. Keep in mind that if you are concerned with voiding your one year Keystone warranty, the holes you drill in the frame to install a "bolt on receiver" will be a dead giveaway that the frame has been altered, so you probably won't win that one with Keystone. I will say that few people actually have a frame warranty and it's not really Keystone, but the frame manufacturer, usually Lippert, that has the final determination on whether to honor the warranty repairs.

You can view the Curt hitch here: http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703