PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Pasties

ctbruce
08-11-2017, 10:56 AM
First Pasties. Really good! Imagine my surprise/embarrassment when I found out they are pronounced with a short, not long, A. I've been in the city too long.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170811/f456f9d299b9555060e5b80f90fe053a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

notanlines
08-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Hey, big guy, there are pasties (with a long A) in Michigan also. But you probably aren't bringing Momma to the establishment. What was the name of the restaurant where you had them? I guess in other words, was it a pasty only place or just happen to have them on the menu?

ctbruce
08-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Hey, big guy, there are pasties (with a long A) in Michigan also. But you probably aren't bringing Momma to the establishment. What was the name of the restaurant where you had them? I guess in other words, was it a pasty only place or just happen to have them on the menu?The Pancake Chef, they specialized in all foods. Really good!

JRTJH
08-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Chip,

When you head toward the bridge into the lower peninsula on US2, just after you leave the little town (really only 3 stores and some rental condos) of Brevort, about 13 miles further east, just before you get into St Ignace, on the right (south) side of US2 you'll see Lehto's Pasties. It's an old "converted Dairy Queen style building with a gravel parking lot. BEST PASTIES IN THE UP !!! The address is 1983 US-2, St Ignace, MI and they are open from 10AM to 8PM every day but Sunday which is 10am-6pm. They make them daily and when they sell out, they close the doors, so depending on what time you go through, you may or may not get to sample the bestest......

They sell them "ready to eat, ready to cook or frozen" and yes, they sell them all, every day.... We've been known to drive the 75 miles just to buy a couple to bring home for the next day.....

http://www.lehtospasties.com/

As an observation, ALL pasties are good, it's just that some are "gooder" than others...... Try Lehto's, you'll very likely agree.....

Safe travels,

ctbruce
08-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Chip,

When you head toward the bridge into the lower peninsula on US2, just after you leave the little town (really only 3 stores and some rental condos) of Brevort, about 13 miles further east, just before you get into St Ignace, on the right (south) side of US2 you'll see Lehto's Pasties. It's an old "converted Dairy Queen style building with a gravel parking lot. BEST PASTIES IN THE UP !!! The address is 1983 US-2, St Ignace, MI and they are open from 10AM to 8PM every day but Sunday which is 10am-6pm. They make them daily and when they sell out, they close the doors, so depending on what time you go through, you may or may not get to sample the bestest......

They sell them "ready to eat, ready to cook or frozen" and yes, they sell them all, every day.... We've been known to drive the 75 miles just to buy a couple to bring home for the next day.....

http://www.lehtospasties.com/

As an observation, ALL pasties are good, it's just that some are "gooder" than others...... Try Lehto's, you'll very likely agree.....

Safe travels,Now I can't wait to try them. I saw it on my way in and wondered about them. Now I know. Thanks.

ctbruce
08-14-2017, 08:17 AM
Lehto's was all that and much more. So glad we took the tie to go. I highly recommend them if you are in the area. Also went to Whitefish Point and the Shipwreck museum. Wow is all I can say! I wonder if we were anywhere close to JRTJH (John)?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170814/7b77ba532597a48a7899918e89519b70.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170814/fb5f02dbcaf62636f2e0c77acc141b6d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170814/99065f484b022da8632f7da9774badf9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170814/dd11968871760cd683722219f4aa61e6.jpg

JRTJH
08-14-2017, 08:31 AM
About 50 miles directly south on I-75. I thought Lehto's would be a hit for you. That "looks like sausage gravy" in the picture you posted was kind of a "shock".... No "real Yupper" would ever put sausage gravy on a pasty ROFL.....:facepalm:

Desert185
08-14-2017, 08:36 AM
Better than catsup.:lol:

This thread has blasphemy content.:nonono:

jsmith948
08-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Okay - being a deprived individual that has never been to Michigan, what is a Pasty? In CTBruce's photo, it looks like a sort of meat pot pie? Hope to make it to that part of the world next year but until then?:)

JRTJH
08-14-2017, 09:38 AM
It's a Cornish meat pie, usually made with diced (not ground) beef, potatoes, rutabaga, onion, spices and baked until "golden brown". Often served "plain" some prefer catsup, others like a rich brown gravy. I like mine with a good 1/4 sliced dill pickle and chocolate milk.

jsmith948
08-14-2017, 09:50 AM
It's a Cornish meat pie, usually made with diced (not ground) beef, potatoes, rutabaga, onion, spices and baked until "golden brown". Often served "plain" some prefer catsup, others like a rich brown gravy. I like mine with a good 1/4 sliced dill pickle and chocolate milk.

Thanks John - after I posted, I looked them up on Google. Definitely some comfort food there! Might be something the DW can freeze for an easy travel meal.

ctbruce
08-14-2017, 01:37 PM
The one was a breakfast pastie. Hmm, no gravy? Michigan is a beautiful state. Would be a nice place to retire.

MarcS
08-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Now I'm hungry for Pasties! Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JRTJH
08-14-2017, 02:29 PM
The one was a breakfast pastie. Hmm, no gravy? Michigan is a beautiful state. Would be a nice place to retire.

I'd suppose a breakfast pastie is a "marketing tool" for some restaurants. It's not the "original" as you can now attest to. LOL But, if it's good, no matter what you call it, "chow down" !!!

Michigan is a pretty good place to live. When we retired I "fought my DW" tooth and nail about staying in Louisiana. She eventually won and we built a new house up here. My biggest concern was the hunting and fishing I'd miss. Well, we really do more fishing and hunting here than in Louisiana. I've got deer, bear, turkey, grouse, squirrel and rabbits "right out the back door"...

As for "deep sea fishing" we're going on a Lake Michigan salmon/trout charter tomorrow out of Petoskey. It's a 43' charter "open sport fishing boat" so honestly, it's bigger than most of the deep sea boats we fished in the Gulf of Mexico. Today the boat charter "limited out on King Salmon and Lake Trout. 4 people on the charter and 20 fish. The smallest was 12 pounds with a couple over 20. As far as I'm concerned, it may not be snapper, tuna or redfish, but it's still "crankin' em in"....

Summers are fantastic, winters (if you have the toys) are also fantastic. We bought the fifth wheel to go south in the winter, but honestly, between snowshoeing, cross country skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling and hunting, we've been too busy enjoying the winter to go south except for the first year we had the Cougar. This year, if we don't get lots of snow, we'll probably head to Florida, but if it's "good snowmobiling" we'll be too busy travelling around on those to take time to go south. Some people like motorcycles, we've grown into snowmobiles, travel across the state, tour along the Great Lakes and at times we can go all day long without seeing another human. Really gives us the opportunity to "commune with nature"....

I'd never admit it to my DW, but I'm kind of glad she "won the argument" about where to retire...... :cool:

ctbruce
08-14-2017, 03:40 PM
That confirms what our eyes were seeing. We're talking about it for sure.

We went through Petoskey today on our way to Traverse City. What a nice area. Quaint town too. Have a great time fishing. Limit out yourself!

CrazyCain
08-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Headed up next tuesday to GermFask in the U.P to do some camping on the Manistique River at Northland outfitters.Will be passing Lehtos on the way and will be stopping to buy some for the trip. Also will be going to the Garlyn Zoo east of Naubenway, off US 2. Great Zoo and full of native Michigan animals and other strange things from arounf the country. LOve checking out the Wolves!!!! Will post some pictures of our trip..First time pulling my Hideout across the bridge.. born and raised in the Great State of Michigan..

:popcorn::D:cool:

JRTJH
08-14-2017, 05:17 PM
We lived in Gwinn for about 5 years and tried to get down to visit with the DW's family about one weekend a month. That's a bunch of trips across the bridge. We "changed up" the drive by going 77 through Germfask/Blaney Park, then next time through Engadine on 117. Then, in the summer we'd take 123 through Ozark and up to 28, but that was always a "LONG TRIP" through the Seney Stretch.... We never tried that route in the winter and stayed on US2 along the "banana belt" to Escanaba and up 35 to Gwinn. Less snow that way. On occasion along US28 along Lake Superior from Newberry to Munising and then from Munising into Marquette, there would be 10' of snow on the shoulders and 1-2 feet of fresh powder on the road. Even following the snow plow was never a guarantee of "easy driving".

Enjoy your trip, that part of the UP is always nice in August/September. Safe travels.

hornet28
08-15-2017, 05:29 AM
That confirms what our eyes were seeing. We're talking about it for sure.

We went through Petoskey today on our way to Traverse City. What a nice area. Quaint town too. Have a great time fishing. Limit out yourself!

If you think Petoskey is quaint now you should've seen it years ago. Friends who are native to the area are upset over the way their town has changed for the worse. Bigger isn't always better

notanlines
08-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Ketchup on pasty would be akin to steak sauce on Kobi beef.
If this falls in anyone's travels I would highly recommend Joe's Pasties in Rhinelander, WI. These people even render their own lard for the crust.

CrazyCain
08-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Ketchup on pasty would be akin to steak sauce on Kobi beef.
If this falls in anyone's travels I would highly recommend Joe's Pasties in Rhinelander, WI. These people even render their own lard for the crust.

That northern part of WI is like the likens of the UP of Michigan, so it doesnt surprise me that the Pasties are top notch!!
Pass the ketcup so i can throw it out the window!!!!

:lol:

CrazyCain
08-15-2017, 04:41 PM
We lived in Gwinn for about 5 years and tried to get down to visit with the DW's family about one weekend a month. That's a bunch of trips across the bridge. We "changed up" the drive by going 77 through Germfask/Blaney Park, then next time through Engadine on 117. Then, in the summer we'd take 123 through Ozark and up to 28, but that was always a "LONG TRIP" through the Seney Stretch.... We never tried that route in the winter and stayed on US2 along the "banana belt" to Escanaba and up 35 to Gwinn. Less snow that way. On occasion along US28 along Lake Superior from Newberry to Munising and then from Munising into Marquette, there would be 10' of snow on the shoulders and 1-2 feet of fresh powder on the road. Even following the snow plow was never a guarantee of "easy driving".

Enjoy your trip, that part of the UP is always nice in August/September. Safe travels.

Gonna be resting next Tuesday early evening at the Gaylord Walmart off 75. If your in the heighborhood, stop by for a chat...

:cool:???

Olsen29
08-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Gonna be resting next Tuesday early evening at the Gaylord Walmart off 75. If your in the heighborhood, stop by for a chat...

:cool:???We live 13 miles north of Gwinn near the"Crossroads" they have a real good pasty. Our family has been here forever. Well at least since the 1870s.
Won't be traveling south for the winters for a few more years.
It is hard to go very far when the weather is nice, we have so much to see right here and the people are the best. I hope you enjoy the great UP and the rest of Michigan.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CrazyCain
08-15-2017, 05:10 PM
We live 13 miles north of Gwinn near the"Crossroads" they have a real good pasty. Our family has been here forever. Well at least since the 1870s.
Won't be traveling south for the winters for a few more years.
It is hard to go very far when the weather is nice, we have so much to see right here and the people are the best. I hope you enjoy the great UP and the rest of Michigan.

Childhood buddy of mine lives in Gywinn, DW's Aunt and Uncle live in Naubenway. We get up the the UP 4-5 times a year, God's country for sure..
just to far for a wknd camping trip though..

JRTJH
08-15-2017, 08:47 PM
We live 13 miles north of Gwinn near the"Crossroads" ...

Ross,

We were stationed at KI Sawyer in the late 60's and again in the 70's and 80's. My DW's family are some of the "settlers" in Marquette. One of her uncles was the post master there and several of her aunts and uncles lived throughout the area. One of them owned the old Finn Sauna that used to be on the corner of S Division and E Furnace. Names like Jujentienen, LaPointe, Brown and Warsheivski. Yeah, I know LOL

I went to my first "duck races" at the Crossroads bar in 1968. Darnedest thing I'd ever seen. We bought a house in the subdivision just north of the crossroads and lived there for about 5 years. It was almost at the back door of Cliff's Ridge.

Great community, great people and great times around that area. We still have a camp on Lake Kawbawgam, but seldom get a chance to get up there to enjoy it.

SAABDOCTOR
08-16-2017, 04:41 AM
Looks like a road trip is in order!:whistling:

Olsen29
08-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Very small world! Happy trails!

CrazyCain
10-19-2017, 12:21 PM
1) Lehto's Pasties, St. Ignace
This spot has been around since 1947, and stands out for its moist, flaky crust, well-seasoned filling, and homemade feel.

Voted Best Pasties in Michigan on ONLYINYOURSTATE web page.. but we all knew that already, didn't we..

:popcorn::lol:

ctbruce
10-20-2017, 04:46 AM
1) Lehto's Pasties, St. Ignace
This spot has been around since 1947, and stands out for its moist, flaky crust, well-seasoned filling, and homemade feel.

Voted Best Pasties in Michigan on ONLYINYOURSTATE web page.. but we all knew that already, didn't we..

:popcorn:[emoji38]Mmmmmmmmm! Pasties!!! (Said while mouth is watering)

Sailorpat1954
10-21-2017, 03:41 AM
Ok guys you got me now.. I am a native New Yorker on living in Michigan since 1997, I always hear about pasty’s. My wife who is native of Michigan talks about them also.

We are on our first trip with our first trailer (Keystone Passage 2520 DL) we are in a little town called Temple (10 miles west of Harrison and 2 hours south the UP.

Can I get pasty’s down hear or do I have to head over the bridge. The coffee is perking and now you all got me hungry . I want to taste a pasty [emoji3]

Thanks
Pat and Deb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

notanlines
10-21-2017, 04:13 AM
Try Mr Foisie's in Cadillac. Wisconsinites have a better chance of getting good pasties than do trolls, but this is a good place.

CrazyCain
10-21-2017, 05:01 AM
:lol::lol::lol:^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Trolls:lol::lol::lol:.. oh, :eek: your right!!!!! Got some decent ones way south of the bridge, but no where near the U.P Pastie,, It has to be something in the air up there......

:popcorn:
:cool:
:popcorn:

JRTJH
10-21-2017, 08:03 AM
I agree with Tom. You can get some "good" pasties south of the bridge. Most people are extremely satisfied with the offerings in the LP, until......

Once you stop at Letho's just west of St Ignace, you simply can't compare what you find available in the LP with "heaven's pastie"..... No, they probably aren't that "dramatically better", but Letho's pasties are, at least for us, a cut above. Just the right mixture of potatoes, beef, rutabaga, onion and spices, all baked to perfection in a golden, buttery crust that would make "mom's apple pie" pale by comparison.... :angel: Letho's sells beef, chicken and vegetarian pasties, but honestly, if it ain't beef it ain't authentic. And, yes, the thickness of the potato slices does make a difference. It's an art as well as a recipe.

We've been travelling through that area since 1968 and every trip through, no matter if we were there yesterday or last month, always includes a stop at Letho's. They do close early on days when the sell out of pasties (the only thing they sell) and if we happen by after they close, we always feel like we missed something.....

To the Finns, a good pastie is more than a meal, it's a "quest for the best". While nobody makes them as well as Aunt Eva Jujentienen, Letho's does a noble job.

Bowti
12-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Ross,

We were stationed at KI Sawyer in the late 60's and again in the 70's and 80's. My DW's family are some of the "settlers" in Marquette. One of her uncles was the post master there and several of her aunts and uncles lived throughout the area. One of them owned the old Finn Sauna that used to be on the corner of S Division and E Furnace. Names like Jujentienen, LaPointe, Brown and Warsheivski. Yeah, I know LOL

I went to my first "duck races" at the Crossroads bar in 1968. Darnedest thing I'd ever seen. We bought a house in the subdivision just north of the crossroads and lived there for about 5 years. It was almost at the back door of Cliff's Ridge.

Great community, great people and great times around that area. We still have a camp on Lake Kawbawgam, but seldom get a chance to get up there to enjoy it.

Small world. Born and raised in Marquette so it was fun reading this post. John, I lived just down from the sauna for a while. We are now in Wisconsin, but still have a camp in Autrain.

RK1978
02-26-2018, 06:54 PM
We have gotten ours at Bessies, will have to try Lehtos next trip. We stayed at Castle Rock RV just a few feet from the beach, so Bessies was close. They were so good we bought a half dozen to put in the freezer to bring home. Turned out really well, crust was still flaky even after being frozen and reheated in microwave. Anybody puts ketchup on mine they better take it out of my sight-brown gravy or nothing!
PR

JRTJH
02-26-2018, 07:46 PM
Brown gravy, 1/4 sliced dill pickle and chocolate milk..... Catsup (or ketsup) YECHT !!!

notanlines
02-27-2018, 02:50 AM
Vegetarian pasty? Like vegetarian chili.....an oxymoron! Catsup? Not on your life!

jamcbride
02-27-2018, 03:34 AM
Never heard of these but boy sounds like something I would love. Reminds me of Kolaches. Pronounced Koh'laa'chee. My Fav is the Ranchero. www.kolachefactory.com.

rdnkjeeper
02-27-2018, 06:37 AM
It all depends on the pasty, if they are great, nothing on them. If they are dry, then I will put some catsup on it!

Carvendive
04-07-2018, 02:48 PM
My grandfather was from Cornwall where pasties came from. Dad use to make them but I suspect that the depression made his a little thin on meat. Not having gone through the depression we make ours with a blend of beef and pork. The ONLY seasonings are salt and pepper. We still use lard but only 50% as it contributes to heartburn. Rutibeggies are a must but the secret is the onion, pork and lard. I use sweet onions. If you have problems with heartburn put in some parsley. If your party is dry my mom use to add some water (like katchup) - it works. Katchup was for the kids. They liked it sweetened up a bit.
How about the Coudighi at the Venice in Ishpaming - puts the Philly steak sandwich on notice. Unfortunately I don't think the Venice exists any more and Ralph's ain't near as good IMO.

JRTJH
04-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Ahhhh The Venice Supper Club, it's still there and the cudighi isn't what it was in the 60's, but it still tastes great.

Olsen29
04-24-2018, 02:28 AM
Ahhhh The Venice Supper Club, it's still there and the cudighi isn't what it was in the 60's, but it still tastes great.If your are in the area Larwy's pasty shop has the best Cudagi and it's only a home made bread. The pasties are okay but the Cudagi is the bomb. Don't make plans for after dinner though, I have a hard time eating the whole thing. And the price is right. About 5 miles west of Ishpeming.

http://www.lawryspasties.com

JRTJH
04-24-2018, 05:40 AM
We've stopped at the Lawry's Pasty Shop in Marquette. It's in the building next to where Northern Furniture used to be. We haven't been to the shop west of Ishpeming, although we pass by it every time we go to our "secret lake" for the opening of bass season. We'll have to stop there this spring on our way west on 41. Thanks for the "heads up".....

notanlines
04-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Man, y'all really know how to hurt a guy. I guess I'll have to get even by posting beach pictures.....

JRTJH
04-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Hey Jim, Lake Michigan and Lake Superior have some awesome beaches. Only problem is that they're under about 4' of snow part of the year. But those 3 days in August........ WOW !!!

CrazyCain
04-24-2018, 04:50 PM
Hey Jim, Lake Michigan and Lake Superior have some awesome beaches. Only problem is that they're under about 4' of snow part of the year. But those 3 days in August........ WOW !!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

CrazyCain
04-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Man, y'all really know how to hurt a guy. I guess I'll have to get even by posting beach pictures.....

Hope the scenery is good!! :cool: ;)

notanlines
04-25-2018, 02:38 AM
Years ago I had a sweatshirt that read "Summer finally came to Wisconsin and I had to work that day." How apropos.
We'll be in northern Wisconsin in about a month....maybe y'all could do something about that snow, hmmmm?

JRTJH
05-05-2018, 07:03 PM
It was a BEAUTIFUL spring day in northern Michigan. We left around 10 this morning, crossed the Mighty Mac and had lunch at Lehto's. Temp on the approach to the bridge was 70F. At the middle of the span between the towers (200' above the water) the wind was blowing about 40 MPH and the temp was 43F. Here's the "proof we were there" Only 200 miles to have a pastie for lunch.... Hmmmm yeah, they are "that good"... :lol:

sourdough
05-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Good for you!! Hope you had a wonderful day! Looks like spring may be upon you....more or less.

MarcS
05-06-2018, 04:02 AM
Glad you were able to get out and ride in decent weather! Spring may have sprung, but remember, this is Michigan![emoji23]

CrazyCain
05-06-2018, 04:22 AM
Awesome John!

notanlines
07-16-2018, 06:36 AM
After spending most of last week in the UP and eating all the pasty one person could hold, I want to voice a complaint to all the Michiganders about the direction their pasties are taking. This picture was taken in Joe's Pasties in Ironwood last week. I was almost as offended as when in Colorado a number of years ago we ran into "Cajun flavored bratwurst made in Oklahoma City."
Things like this just aren't right! I even posted the picture sideways in protest! :hide:

ctbruce
07-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Hmmmmmm....is a ground camel one without any legs?

sourdough
07-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Hmmmmmm....is a ground camel one without any legs?

Aren't they all "ground" camels? But....a camel pasty?? I don't want a camel anything I don't think. Now elk or gator....different story. Hope the Cajun alligator is better than the Cajun I just got in our little town. A new restaurant "Texas Cajun" opened so we decided to give it a try. We're a long way from anything remotely fresh when it comes to fish so thought Cajun catfish would be a safe choice. I don't know what part of Cajun they were cooking but it was bad. I did however ingest enough garlic to ward off vampires for the next 10 years.:(

ctbruce
07-16-2018, 04:30 PM
I did however ingest enough garlic to ward off vampires for the next 10 years.:(
In the Zombie Apocalypse, I'm standing next to you. That will be a safe place.