PDA

View Full Version : Awning Issue

Sherwolfe
08-07-2017, 09:16 PM
So a neighbor is having a problem with his awning, in which a cord, wire that appears to hold the awning onto the roller is slowly working it's way out of the roller. He has tried to push it back in but no luck.

Really, this is for a neighbor, not one of those usual, " I have a friend "

Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get this back into place? Luckily my trailer awning is doing just fine so I would like to help him if you all have a suggestion how to fix this.

Thanks.

chuckster57
08-08-2017, 04:51 AM
The bead is called a "gimp". If you extend the awning and then have one person pushing on the roller tube to take the tension off, the other person may get lucky enough to push it back in. If the fabric isn't coming out at the other end, then I would just trim it off.

When awning fabrics are installed, the gimp extends past the fabric and there are locking grooves inside the roller tube. Sometimes after installation, there can be excess sticking out one end and the installer forgot to trim it.

Sherwolfe
08-08-2017, 08:23 AM
The bead is called a "gimp". If you extend the awning and then have one person pushing on the roller tube to take the tension off, the other person may get lucky enough to push it back in. If the fabric isn't coming out at the other end, then I would just trim it off.

When awning fabrics are installed, the gimp extends past the fabric and there are locking grooves inside the roller tube. Sometimes after installation, there can be excess sticking out one end and the installer forgot to trim it.

Thank You Chuckster57, we will give this a try.

Sherwolfe
08-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Wanted to follow up to the suggestion by Chuckster57. We did as he suggested and while we were unable to push the "gimp" back, we did cut the excess off and secured it from coming out further by putting a small screw in the groove.

The opposite end did not appear to be loose and the fabric was still firmly in the groove, so looks like we got this repaired.

Thanks Again Chuckster57