PDA

View Full Version : Complete Noob Question about Battery Charging

jeremyers1
08-06-2017, 10:23 PM
We have a Keystone Outback 21RS. I am trying to charge the batteries, but no matter how long I leave the camper plugged in, the batteries just seem to lose charge.

So here is the noob question: Do I have to switch on the "Main" and the "Rec/Con" switches on the electrical panel for the trailer to actually charge the batteries? Or should the batteries automatically charge if the trailer is plugged in (even if the all the breakers are switched Off)?

xrated
08-06-2017, 11:53 PM
First order of business............Welcome to the forum. When parked or not in use, there really isn't any reason to turn any of your breakers off (that's the 120 Volt stuff anyway) and usually, there is a "Battery Disconnect" switch on the trailer that must be in the on position in order for the batteries to charge. If it is turned off, your batteries will never charge, as it disconnect them from receiving power from the charger part of the converter. Hope this helps.

the sodfather
08-07-2017, 03:42 AM
WeedseesZuxddxeV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This forum is going to hell in a hand basket...:facepalm:

xrated
08-07-2017, 04:04 AM
WeedseesZuxddxeV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post needs to come with English sub-titles.

jeremyers1
08-07-2017, 08:19 AM
When parked or not in use, there really isn't any reason to turn any of your breakers off (that's the 120 Volt stuff anyway) and usually, there is a "Battery Disconnect" switch on the trailer that must be in the on position in order for the batteries to charge. If it is turned off, your batteries will never charge, as it disconnect them from receiving power from the charger part of the converter.

I cannot find a battery disconnect switch. But regardless, are you saying "Yes" the Rec/Con switch needs to be "on" for the batteries to charge when plugged in to shore power, so that if it is "off" they won't charge at all?

sourdough
08-07-2017, 09:00 AM
I don't know what the rec/con switch is on the control panel off hand. My bypass switch is in the passthru compartment up on the wall. It is a red switch labeled off/on. It looks like your unit has a pass through in the front as well behind the battery(s). Have you looked there? As was said, it has to be on for the battery to charge.

jeremyers1
08-07-2017, 09:17 AM
I looked everywhere. This is the 2006 Outback 21RS, and I cannot find a battery bypass switch.

ctbruce
08-07-2017, 11:01 AM
There may not be one. You can either install one or just disconnect the negative side of the battery. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

MikeD3534
08-08-2017, 10:04 AM
I think he is saying YES to the REC/CON switch. In any event, it won't hurt anything to try it.

B-O-B'03
08-10-2017, 02:49 PM
The rec/con breaker turns off the "receptacles" and the "converter", it must be on, when plugged into shore power, for the batteries to charge.

-Brian