PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Pyramid Hitch

jkoons
08-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Pulling a Cougar 28SGS 5th wheel with 2500 Chevy 6 1/2 ' bed,like the looks of the Anderson and weigh for removing. Anyone using this unit with an rv like the Cougar? I'm using a slider now don't know as I really need it,it is heavy to remove for a 73+ guy.

thatoneguy99
08-06-2017, 02:52 PM
I have the rail mounted Andersen hitch and I love it. I also have a 2500 with the same length bed. I pull a 2017 Hideout.
Is your slider automatic? Honesty I can't say anything bad about my Andersen setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkoons
08-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Yes I have a auto slide,the Cougar has the rounded corners for a better turn radius. Thanks for your reply.

Desert185
08-06-2017, 04:13 PM
I'm pulling a Cougar 326SRX with the Andersen gooseneck ball version on a B&W turnover ball. Great hitch. 24,000# capacity with 4500# pin weight. I'm way under that.

gkainz
08-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Laredo 245RL and the Andersen Ultimate on a gooseneck ball in my 07 Ram 2500 8' bed and not one complaint for 3-4 years now.

jkoons
08-07-2017, 03:17 AM
gkainz if your truck was a 6 1/2' bed would it still work for you?

thatoneguy99
08-07-2017, 03:23 AM
One thing I didn't mention is that without a slider hitch I can not do a 90degree turn/backup. I'd say, comfortably, I could do roughly 80. Beyond that it gets a little hairy.
Also at my campground they provide tow on and tow off services. However, they do not have the needed adapter for this style of setup. For me I just took off the king pin adapter from the 5er (very easy), and will put it back on if I need to tow it somewhere.
I haven't had any problems during regular driving. Backing into my storage spot in the campsite was a PITA because of the degree restriction but their storage is rather cramped anyways. It may have still been a PITA with a slider though.

jkoons
08-07-2017, 04:07 AM
I don't like making 90* turns because of the wheels and tires.

JRTJH
08-07-2017, 04:47 AM
I don't like making 90* turns because of the wheels and tires.

Wheels, tires, axles, springs, spring hangers, bronze/plastic bushings not to mention those "famous" (or infamous) Lippert weld joints that hold it all together........

PDitty
08-07-2017, 05:13 AM
Just bought one this year, fantastic and much easier to hook up than a standard hitch, so light and easy to remove when you need to use your bed. I pull a Montana HC, with a 2500, no problems

NealBlue
08-07-2017, 05:17 AM
I have the aluminum ultimate hitch mounted on a turn over ball. I love it. Easy to remove and install and works great with my 6 1/2 ft. bed.

Canonman
08-07-2017, 05:26 AM
I've had the Anderson for 2 seasons now and no problems. There have been several occasions I've needed to make a U turn and at times even a 3-point with no clearance problems. I've had it tight backing into some camp spots again with no issues. The Cougar nose is a great design to minimize any chance of clearance mishaps.
Also, Anderson is a great company to work with. They answer their phone at the factory in Idaho Falls and will talk you through any questions. Good folks and good product!

gkainz
08-07-2017, 06:04 AM
gkainz if your truck was a 6 1/2' bed would it still work for you?
I really don't know, and would hate to even hazard a guess. I suppose it would depend on wheelbase and bed length from ball to tailgate? Did they take all 1.5' out of the bed behind the axle or ????

Greg

gkainz
08-07-2017, 06:08 AM
The only thing I will say is "slightly" harder with the Andersen vs the traditional 5th wheel hitch is backing just the right distance to center the ball under the socket. I get it pretty close, but still get out and look and fine tune the fore and aft. I like it to drop in exactly right.
I marked centerline of the sides of the socket (fore and aft) with black tape and my wife can guide me back to a perfect fit. A couple of times when she wasn't available, I've borrowed her iPhone and used FaceTime as a remote camera to back up exactly the right distance.
Maybe I'll get a remote camera and a magnetic mount for hitching ... but knowing me, I'll still be saying that years from now. :)

rhagfo
08-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Just bought one this year, fantastic and much easier to hook up than a standard hitch, so light and easy to remove when you need to use your bed. I pull a Montana HC, with a 2500, no problems

Don't know how you were taught to hook up a 5er hitch, or brand you were using, but don't see how you think lining up to the ball is easier than backing into a pin.

thatoneguy99
08-07-2017, 07:11 AM
Don't know how you were taught to hook up a 5er hitch, or brand you were using, but don't see how you think lining up to the ball is easier than backing into a pin.

There isn't much precision involved with the Andersen. You can be off by as much as 3 inches and just drop down the trailer. It will line itself up.

Desert185
08-07-2017, 07:51 AM
The only thing I will say is "slightly" harder with the Andersen vs the traditional 5th wheel hitch is backing just the right distance to center the ball under the socket. I get it pretty close, but still get out and look and fine tune the fore and aft. I like it to drop in exactly right.
I marked centerline of the sides of the socket (fore and aft) with black tape and my wife can guide me back to a perfect fit. A couple of times when she wasn't available, I've borrowed her iPhone and used FaceTime as a remote camera to back up exactly the right distance.
Maybe I'll get a remote camera and a magnetic mount for hitching ... but knowing me, I'll still be saying that years from now. :)

Given the advantages of the Andersen, I find that negative to be less than a minor inconvenience, by comparison. The new funnel makes the exercise even less of a negative.

gkainz
08-07-2017, 07:54 AM
I agree with both above, and the self-inflicted "precision" that I make myself adhere to is exactly that - self-inflicted. I saw the funnel when Andersen introduced it and said to self "nah, I LIKE to center the hitch EXACTLY!"

Desert185
08-07-2017, 08:01 AM
I agree with both above, and the self-inflicted "precision" that I make myself adhere to is exactly that - self-inflicted. I saw the funnel when Andersen introduced it and said to self "nah, I LIKE to center the hitch EXACTLY!"

I am somewhat anal about that when the wifey is along, but during a solo jaunt the version 2 funnel is a nice assist.

kfxgreenie
08-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Ram 2500 6'4" box. Cougar 327RES successfully using a Andersen Ultimate on the 3rd year now. No problems.

jkoons
08-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone think I'll give one a try.