PDA

View Full Version : New member and new to me RV.

fraleywp
08-05-2017, 06:47 PM
Hi all,

I joined a few days ago but just picked up my RV today. This is my first RV.

I looked at many different new RVs and just about purchased a Crossroads until I read a lot of negative posts about this brand on various forums. So I kept looking and found the RV I ultimately ended up buying.

So, I ended up with a 2013 Passport 2650BH. I feel like this option offered me the most for my money. I paid for it in cash but I bought it from a dealer. In the state of GA, if you buy from a dealer the sales tax covers the Ad Velorum taxes for as long as you own it. If you buy from an individual you have to pay this additional tax every year. So stupid to stick it to the little guy but it is what it is.

Moving on to the RV. I was very surprised at how little wear there is on this unit. I don't think the original owner used it a whole lot. Everything looks essentially brand new. The amount of space with the slider open is surprising to me as well. I am hoping to get several years of enjoyment out of it.

The only thing I need to do soon is to replace the tongue jack with an electric one.

I am also impressed with how well my 2015 F150 towed this thing. It is smooth as silk. I did put a weight distributing hitch on it so obviously that is a big help.

I plan to take my first camping trip this coming weekend. Here are a couple pics I took at the dealership and the storage facility. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170806/a469d1ebada0c4c058e40f24cd23153f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170806/f66f4619705e9378ec42a6274f88a734.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chuckster57
08-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Congrats on your new to you RV. Lots of good information and loads of great people here.

LarrySharon
08-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Looks like a nice set up. Many years of enjoyment for you. Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

sourdough
08-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have a great rig. You are going to have a great time and lots of fun with your new setup.

14george
08-06-2017, 02:59 AM
Welcome to the fourm congrats

CrazyCain
08-06-2017, 03:34 AM
Welcome to the forum from SE Michigan. ENnoy the new camper..Lots of great people here...

:popcorn:
:camping:
:wlcm:

86GT2r
08-06-2017, 03:47 AM
Congrats on the new RV. We had a 2012 2650BH & loved it. There is an amazing amount of storage in these.

the sodfather
08-06-2017, 03:59 AM
Nice setup. You won't have to worry about the "weight police" getting you. Now go enjoy that thing! :)

fixn2gocamp
08-06-2017, 04:43 AM
Welcome to the forum!! Very nice looking RV and truck....enjoy yourself and travel safe.

PARAPTOR
08-06-2017, 04:46 AM
:wlcm: to The Forum From Western PA

Congrats on your new to you Passport !! Enjoy !!

Be Safe and Happy Camping. :camping:

fraleywp
08-06-2017, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I spent hours looking at RVs and I feel confident this was the right choice. I limited my search to RVs that were under 5k dry weight. This limited a lot of features on many models in my price range. My price was limited by only wanting what I can pay cash for. Didn't want to deal with financing at all.

I am well under my max. If I ever upgrade to something larger I will have to upgrade to a beefier tow vehicle as well. In other words, not anytime soon. Lol

Tbos
08-06-2017, 07:04 AM
Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy your new to you rig. It looks great. The 2650 was on our short list before we bought our 2810. We love it. Have fun making memories with your family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Retired Copper
08-06-2017, 07:55 AM
Welcome and you will love the camper. I have almost the same setup as you; wanted a camper under 5k and this is what the boss lady wanted so I gave in.I couldn't get rid of the truck; it was my sons and I lost him right after he bought it and vow that the tuck want leave the hill. the things I've encountered pulling this camper with a F150 are as follows: IF you have the sra tires make sure they are at max pressure the have a lot of flex in side walls, I didn't like them and put some LT tires on the truck. Decided to check shocks and found out what shocks, I felt no resistance so I added 5100's on the back. The truck stays under 3k rpms almost all the time at hwy speeds between 50 and 60, the fastest I want to pull it because of trailer tires. I try to keep the camper as lite as possible only using mostly lite weight camping gear; sleeping bags, camping pots stuff made for tent camping. I pull it dry except for a couple of gallons in the black tank. Just enough food for two days, always seems you have to run to a store somewhere anyway. It pulls and handles great if the wdh and sway control is set up even closely right. Most of the time semi's don't even effect it but every once in awhile I get a little wakeup call nothing bad. You need some type of tow morrows so keep an eye out for them. I am using an E2 trunnion hitch but now am adding the e4.Last trip out I got 11.2 mpg using 89 octane. Load right and light'watch tire pressures and enjoy the rig' we like ours.

fraleywp
08-06-2017, 08:14 AM
Welcome and you will love the camper. I have almost the same setup as you; wanted a camper under 5k and this is what the boss lady wanted so I gave in.I couldn't get rid of the truck; it was my sons and I lost him right after he bought it and vow that the tuck want leave the hill. the things I've encountered pulling this camper with a F150 are as follows: IF you have the sra tires make sure they are at max pressure the have a lot of flex in side walls, I didn't like them and put some LT tires on the truck. Decided to check shocks and found out what shocks, I felt no resistance so I added 5100's on the back. The truck stays under 3k rpms almost all the time at hwy speeds between 50 and 60, the fastest I want to pull it because of trailer tires. I try to keep the camper as lite as possible only using mostly lite weight camping gear; sleeping bags, camping pots stuff made for tent camping. I pull it dry except for a couple of gallons in the black tank. Just enough food for two days, always seems you have to run to a store somewhere anyway. It pulls and handles great if the whd and sway control is set up even closely right. Most of the time semi's don't even effect it but every once in awhile I get a little wakeup call nothing bad. You need some type of tow morrows so keep an eye out for them. I am using an E2 trunnion hitch but now am adding the e4.Last trip out I got 11.2 mpg using 89 octane. Load right and light'watch tire pressures and enjoy the rig' we like ours.Hello and thanks for the advice. I have tires designed for off-road and highway. They have a very stiff sidewall and are puncture resistant. I wanted an aggressive tire but still useable for highway driving.

I already had the shocks on my list and I have leveled the truck. It didn't seem to drop at all with the trailer attached. It is an E2 WDH.

I ordered custom fit tow mirrors that attach over the factory mirrors. I will eventually get full power extending tow mirrors once they are back in stock.

I used to tow a 25' Cabin Cruiser so the main difference will be the win resistance, or lack thereof.

I can't wait to get out and use it. I plan to do a basic trip this coming weekend to try it all out. Couple hours from home.

Gegrad
08-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Nice Passport and welcome to the forum!

fraleywp
08-07-2017, 05:27 AM
I couldn't get rid of the truck; it was my sons and I lost him right after he bought it and vow that the tuck want leave the hill.

I completely understand why and I am sorry for your loss. I missed this when I read your reply on my phone.

ctbruce
08-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Goose
08-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Welcome from Orlando, FL and congrats on your new rig. Very nice! I have a 2014 Passport 252BH. We absolutely love ours and I'm sure you will love yours just as much. We toured a lot of different models and ours just had the best layout for us. I also pull mine with a 2016 F-150 and it does very well. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fraleywp
08-07-2017, 04:23 PM
I forgot to mention that adding the factory brake controller took me 20 minutes plus another 5 using forscan to enable it. Only works if you have the factory towing package.

TheGriz
08-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the forum fraleywp. I am a member of only a couple weeks myself, and already have reaped rewards from the braintrust here. Good luck with the new rig!!!

Regards,
Mike...TheGriz

KAGHWK
08-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Great looking combination. Welcome to the group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gapopper
08-08-2017, 01:37 PM
I too was supposed to close on a 2017 Cross Roads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve. We got cold feet at the last minute. We purchase a 2914 Springdale instead.

DAN d
08-10-2017, 03:40 AM
congrats on new rv and welcome have fun happy trails:campfire: