PDA

View Full Version : tie down mounts in impact and fusion

tinman50
08-04-2017, 04:37 PM
does anyone but me think the15000 supposedly supper strong hold down mounts in the impact and fusion garages are a joke they say they are good for 15000 lbs but are so shallow you can only hook the cheap s hook style tie downs to them. i have a 1500 lb side by side i carry in my 2016 impact 311 and prefer the 4" wide trucker style tie downs with spring lock closures. but eve though they are only about an inch and a half thick they won't connect to the tie down bars. i finally found some spring lock chain hooks with a flat section on the bottom that will fit and hooked them to the floor mounts so i can use my heavy duty tie downs. I'm amazed nobody at the factory never bothered to try various types of tie downs to see if the mounts worked with every style of tie down.

chuckster57
08-04-2017, 04:51 PM
The guys at the factory are too busy installing the parts designed by the engineering department to be used. And we all know the engineers DON'T do any "real world" testing.

ctbruce
08-04-2017, 06:49 PM
I'm pleased with mine but I'm also not using super duty sized straps. My bike has never moved while being carried with s hook straps. Also, the tie downs are 5k each welded to the frame. They do beat the D rings that were in my previous Forest River 26rr which were screwed into the floor plywood with dry wall screws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

roadglide
08-05-2017, 04:31 AM
5000 lbs welded to the fram is a lot safer then ancor bolts. A couple 1500 lbs strips will hold any load in these rvs unless you maybe run it off a cliff.

Desert185
08-05-2017, 06:44 AM
The guys at the factory are too busy installing the parts designed by the engineering department to be used. And we all know the engineers DON'T do any "real world" testing.

Nothing like OJT to polish the apple properly. If they had to fix or operate what they designed, Tourette's Syndrome at the end user level would decrease.

chuckster57
08-05-2017, 06:47 AM
Nothing like OJT to polish the apple properly. If they had to fix or operate what they designed, Tourette's Syndrome at the end user level would decrease.

And in the service bays LOL.

twvette
08-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Yep, they are stupid that cant put a "real" hook on them. I have a related post on this too. Have searched high and low and tried several hooks and so far this is the best one:

Heavy Duty Black Vinyl Coated S-Hook w/ Keeper - 1"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LGYRMX2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41mjDtzqVjL.jpg[/QUOTE]

It fits and closes but it cant really lie down at proper angle again due to the small diameter hole they used so its still a little awkward using them. The safety clip can get bent up a bit. It allow me to hook my Macs tie downs to the eyelet and have never come loose, but thats also because I tie down to suspension arms so there is not movement for them to break loose.

I still have not found the mystery ones they use in there demo video for the welded mounting.

xcntrk
08-07-2017, 03:00 AM
I too haul a SXS and do tend to agree with the OP. What good are these welded to the frame connections if you can't get a snap hook from a 2" strap on it? The best solution I could find is to use a double finger hook and use all 2" hardware, but not being able to get a positive locking hook into the plate is unnerving as the rig bounces going down the road.

http://www.awdirect.com/product_images/large/3ydj1_as01.jpg

xrated
08-07-2017, 03:33 AM
does anyone but me think the15000 supposedly supper strong hold down mounts in the impact and fusion garages are a joke they say they are good for 15000 lbs but are so shallow you can only hook the cheap s hook style tie downs to them. i have a 1500 lb side by side i carry in my 2016 impact 311 and prefer the 4" wide trucker style tie downs with spring lock closures. but eve though they are only about an inch and a half thick they won't connect to the tie down bars. i finally found some spring lock chain hooks with a flat section on the bottom that will fit and hooked them to the floor mounts so i can use my heavy duty tie downs. I'm amazed nobody at the factory never bothered to try various types of tie downs to see if the mounts worked with every style of tie down.

You are way over-thinking it, thinking that you need 4" trucker straps. You've got a 1500 lb machine which all of the weight is on the floor of the toy hauler. Your tie down straps don't need to be anywhere near as large as what you want to use. A good quality ratchet type tie down strap ( Ancra brand is about the best you can buy) will more than suffice for holding the side by side in place. One strap on each corner pulling down and away from the vehicle and it's rock solid. I have a set of Ancra straps that I purchased in 1973 or 1974 and although I really don't use them for tying down motorcycles much anymore, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for that if needed. And the good news is that a regular strap like the Ancra will fit into the tire down anchors in the floor with no problems.

whitescrew77
08-08-2017, 08:55 AM
https://www.amazon.com/AFA-Workload-Polyester-Motorcycle-Snowmobile/dp/B00NA8T15Y/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1502211197&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=1000+lb.+tie+down+strap&psc=1

I use straps similar to these to loop through the floor tie downs, and hook in my ratchet straps. They work well in our Impact 351, holding down a lifted electric golf cart. Cart weighs about 900 lbs.

Sandi587
08-08-2017, 10:30 AM
https://www.amazon.com/AFA-Workload-Polyester-Motorcycle-Snowmobile/dp/B00NA8T15Y/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1502211197&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=1000+lb.+tie+down+strap&psc=1

I use straps similar to these to loop through the floor tie downs, and hook in my ratchet straps. They work well in our Impact 351, holding down a lifted electric golf cart. Cart weighs about 900 lbs.

That's what I use also to tie down the bike. Mine are rated at 5000 pounds each. Easy to loop through the tie down and hook on a locking hook ratchet strap.

BlueknightWI
08-11-2017, 04:24 AM
We just hauled our Harley Ultra Limited to Sturgis and back in our 2015 Impact 311. I use 2 3000 lb straps on the front fender/fork tubes, and two more coming off the floorboard mounts to the rear. The bike wiggles around, I'm sure, but was totally stable each time I stopped and checked on it. I agree with the rest that you may be using too much strap for your needs.

twvette
08-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Was finally was able to do another round of testing a couple other options purchased and both seem great! My hunt is over ...

The orange DC Cargo 3K will just fit and are secured. Heck even without the latch these would be really hard to have them slip off but still not hard to put on. The safety latch is much beefier than the S hook I posted earlier and don't think it will get damaged but need to test a little more to ensure. The hook pivots around much better too and lies a bit flatter if needed to all around much better. Nice quality ratchet etc too and can tell these are heavy duty. I hate to say it but my Mac straps are likely staying at home now for flat bed use.

The yellow Rhino loop straps also worked very well. These are nice and heaviest duty 1.5in with rating at 10k. I believe that rating is with it wrapped around bar and only latched to one of the end loops but I also confirmed works well attaching to both end loops for what should be even more strength. I might just use these as I use my garage as a garage so could just leave them attached and not really have anything to trip over. Might also allow me to extend under my tires if ever want to try tire nets that are normally directly under my tires.

Both available on Amazon ...

xcntrk
08-14-2017, 03:13 PM
<---- Hits purchase on some Rhino Straps! Thanks!

Signguy71
08-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Was finally was able to do another round of testing a couple other options purchased and both seem great! My hunt is over ...

The orange DC Cargo 3K will just fit and are secured. Heck even without the latch these would be really hard to have them slip off but still not hard to put on. The safety latch is much beefier than the S hook I posted earlier and don't think it will get damaged but need to test a little more to ensure. The hook pivots around much better too and lies a bit flatter if needed to all around much better. Nice quality ratchet etc too and can tell these are heavy duty. I hate to say it but my Mac straps are likely staying at home now for flat bed use.

The yellow Rhino loop straps also worked very well. These are nice and heaviest duty 1.5in with rating at 10k. I believe that rating is with it wrapped around bar and only latched to one of the end loops but I also confirmed works well attaching to both end loops for what should be even more strength. I might just use these as I use my garage as a garage so could just leave them attached and not really have anything to trip over. Might also allow me to extend under my tires if ever want to try tire nets that are normally directly under my tires.

Do you have a link for the orange strap with hook?

twvette
08-15-2017, 06:54 PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WX9Q8B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that is only two pack so get two. I forgot to mention also that has built in D ring which might come in handy to make "soft loop" on ride strapping down, but I prefer much softer "soft loops" like Macs that truly wont scratch anything up.

rsl
08-15-2017, 09:04 PM
Am I missing something? Why would you need to have such big straps? My unit has a 3000 lb cargo capacity in the garage. With that max two straps with 1500 lb each capacity or four with a 750 lbs capacity would be the max. Wallyworld sell that capacity strap pretty cheap all day long.

twvette
08-16-2017, 09:58 AM
I am sure most of us are going overkill as if in a bad accident its going to be a yard sale regardless. But, the cargo capacity is not the same as force needed to stop a moving object going down highway.

My 1500lb vehicle at 60 MPH equals about 4,100lbs of force to try and stop. We typically move a bit faster in AZ and who knows how many of my four straps will be in play in an incident so I will shoot for the impractical worse case of single strap taking it all on. Will then raise myself to shoot for 5k straps since that is what my individual mounting points are rated at so doing all I can really.

*** I am not the strap police ... I will still use my 3k straps ... use what you are most comfortable with ***

Desert185
08-16-2017, 02:14 PM
A quick stop, as in a collision, could result in a 4 or 5g situation. So if the vehicle weighed 1,000# there would be a 4,000# to 5,000# force trying to propel the vehicle forward. If anything, use straps that, combined, are at least rated at that level on the rear tiedown points.

xcntrk
08-16-2017, 03:40 PM
I'm more for practicality... A 1" strap (and accompanying tiny ratchet) can't even supply enough tension to compress the suspension on my SXS. With 18" of suspension travel and strap mount points that are up on the chassis (as opposed to wheel nets), I need to compress the suspension while strapping to ensure the rig isn't going anywhere while it bounces going down the road. A solid 2" strap and much larger ratchet has enough strength and leverage to suck the suspension down.

twvette
08-16-2017, 04:54 PM
can't even supply enough tension to compress the suspension on my SXS. .

Its much better to strap to arms or wheels. There is little to no movement out of them so don't really have to compress anything to get it to hold. I previously did the compression thing to something on frame and often had stuff move around ... now, my stuff does'nt budge an inch with less effort too.

Desert185
08-16-2017, 08:19 PM
^^^That^^^

The tied down vehicle bounces when towed and compresses the suspension enough to override how much it was compressed with the straps and eventually works loose. Tying down the wheel or suspension arms prevents that movement. That's why those wheel nets are so effective.

K_N_L
08-29-2017, 12:27 PM
From towing motocross bike to Harleys or golf carts, I've tried to find ways to to take the suspension out of the picture. On the Harley Ultra, a 12-14 inch long 6x6 under the frame works good to stabilize it the floor, using 1000# straps on the forks pulling down and forward into the chocks, while using 2000# straps pulling it backwards on both the rear and front wheels. Just did over 5K miles to Sturgis / Arizona and back and it was very stable. I do use 2000# anchor shackles to connect my straps to the floor as I have had a strap pop off once hauling the golf cart.

tinman50
08-30-2017, 02:07 PM
my sis is closer to 1700lbs and my straps are 21/2 wide the smaller straps loosen all the time because most of my towing is done on mountain forest roads.

Tinner12002
08-31-2017, 02:54 AM
You are way over-thinking it, thinking that you need 4" trucker straps. You've got a 1500 lb machine which all of the weight is on the floor of the toy hauler. Your tie down straps don't need to be anywhere near as large as what you want to use. A good quality ratchet type tie down strap ( Ancra brand is about the best you can buy) will more than suffice for holding the side by side in place. One strap on each corner pulling down and away from the vehicle and it's rock solid. I have a set of Ancra straps that I purchased in 1973 or 1974 and although I really don't use them for tying down motorcycles much anymore, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for that if needed. And the good news is that a regular strap like the Ancra will fit into the tire down anchors in the floor with no problems.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too!

Tinner12002
08-31-2017, 03:01 AM

Most straps like that achieve their higher load rating being doubled, cradling the load by tying to both ends as you have pictured on bot pic and not chocked as in second pic.

Tinner12002
08-31-2017, 03:05 AM
Ok...break out the chains and binders!! Lol!

xrated
08-31-2017, 07:23 AM
Most straps like that achieve their higher load rating being doubled, cradling the load by tying to both ends as you have pictured on bot pic and not chocked as in second pic.

That's incorrect..^^^^^ ! The WLL ( working load limit) is a straight pull type rigging. Using it in a cradle or doubled configuration will double the WLL, but that is not how it gets it's 1000 lb rating....that is always a straight pull rating.

Tinner12002
08-31-2017, 08:31 AM
That's incorrect..^^^^^ ! The WLL ( working load limit) is a straight pull type rigging. Using it in a cradle or doubled configuration will double the WLL, but that is not how it gets it's 1000 lb rating....that is always a straight pull rating.

Ok I shouldn't have said rating, what I meant was the amount of weight it will handle or the WLL. I knew what I meant just worded it wrong.

Tinner12002
09-13-2017, 02:27 AM
We just hauled our Harley Ultra Limited to Sturgis and back in our 2015 Impact 311. I use 2 3000 lb straps on the front fender/fork tubes, and two more coming off the floorboard mounts to the rear. The bike wiggles around, I'm sure, but was totally stable each time I stopped and checked on it. I agree with the rest that you may be using too much strap for your needs.

I tied to the little egg shaped metal plates with the 3/16" ring screwed into the wood floor while bikes were on Condor mounts also screwed into the wood floor on my last toy hauler hauling 2 full sized Harleys using 3K straps and never had an issue with anything coming loose or moving around in the 3 yrs I had it. I know they had some good jolts on them because I always use the full exhaust brake on my Ram with what seems like some pretty hard down shifts and turbo braking. The mounts in my new Raptor look like overkill using them for the same purpose.

tinman50
09-23-2017, 05:49 PM
I appreciate all the replies to my thread. the thing is i put a 1500lb sis in my garage and spend about 75% of the time towing the hauler on unimproved forest service roads where there is a foot deep pot hole about every 3 feet so the everything is bouncing around for 30 or forty miles. so the stronger the sxs is tied down the better.

BlueknightWI
09-28-2017, 05:46 AM
Those orange ones are what I've been using on my bike since I got the hauler. Been out to Sturgis, and all over WI hauling without one issue. But yes, it would be great if they made that hole even a half inch larger.