PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Code Reader?

notanlines
07-30-2017, 09:22 AM
SteveS from Idaho mentioned on another thread that we should all have a code reader to help ourselves out and get out of a jamb. How many of you concur and if so, which code reader would be reasonable and useful for one who hasn't turned wrenches for a living in forty years?
Yes, I do travel with a fairly good supply of tools and could probably do most replacements however, only if I knew what to replace.

Desert185
07-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Mine stays in the truck in case I need it. Its part of the tuner that utilizes the OBD port, so I can't recommend a stand-alone reader. If you have the capability to do some maintenance, why not be able to take advantage of the onboard diagnostic capabilities?

Dave W
07-30-2017, 10:46 AM
I like my semi permanent install Scan Gauge ll, others like the the temporary hook up versions. Then there are several OBD ll readers that work well with a smart phone but I'm not sure those will clear a trouble code. OTC and Acton are the usual brands I would consider though my particular OTC version reader wont work with all 6.7 Ford codes but will with the gas engine versions.

mtlineman2010
07-30-2017, 12:06 PM
I recommend the Edge Insight CTS2. You can monitor most everything your vehicle computer can see as well as read and clear most trouble codes/CELs.

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk

Alsbar
07-30-2017, 12:41 PM
I recommend the Edge Insight CTS2. You can monitor most everything your vehicle computer can see as well as read and clear most trouble codes/CELs.

I second this.

kksfish
07-30-2017, 02:27 PM
I am gonna guess the tech's at the dealer can tell if a code reader has been hooked up and in particular if a fault has been cleared so do you guys think this would be a warranty voided? I would be interested in getting one as well.

mtlineman2010
07-30-2017, 02:41 PM
I am gonna guess the tech's at the dealer can tell if a code reader has been hooked up and in particular if a fault has been cleared so do you guys think this would be a warranty voided? I would be interested in getting one as well.Code readers are fine. They will not void any warranties. Unless you actually flash the ecm with a tune you are good.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

kfxgreenie
07-30-2017, 06:33 PM
I second this.

Third:cool:

bsmith0404
07-30-2017, 07:00 PM

X4 on the edge cts. They also have a nice dash pod to install it vs the window suction cup. Looks like an OE install. It is not a tuner so it does not void any warranties. It will monitor just about everything your truck computer does and gives you visibility of it. EGTs from each sensor, injector balance, fuel rail pressure, turbo vane positioning, boost, and the list goes on and on. You can set maintenance reminders based on mileage, yes it knows how many miles you've driven. When a code comes up, you can use it to troubleshoot and clear the code. A good example, I had an EGT sensor go bad, put the truck into limp mode and showed EGTs of over 1400 degrees. I used the reader to see what the other 3 EGT sensors were reading, all normal. I knew I had a bad sensors, so I cleared the code and continued to the next town, went to the dealership and told them to change the sensor. No diagnostic (I already did that with the Edge), just paid for the new sensor and labor to swap it.

notanlines
07-31-2017, 02:32 AM
"so I cleared the code" Can I assume when you cleared the code the engine came out of limp mode long enough to get to the dealership? And might I ask where the code reader connects?

bsmith0404
07-31-2017, 03:54 AM
"so I cleared the code" Can I assume when you cleared the code the engine came out of limp mode long enough to get to the dealership? And might I ask where the code reader connects?

Yes, there is a menu with an option to clear the codes. When I cleared the code the truck did come out of limp mode. The code came back a few miles down the road, but I just cleared it again and was able to make it to the next town and get the sensor changed. It is a simple plug into the OBD II port and go through a setup menu to tell it what your truck is and which parameters you want to monitor. You can also set up limits for alarms. For example, I monitor oil pressure, trans temp, coolant temp, fuel rail pressure, and EGTs right after the turbo. I know several of tjhose are also available on the truck gauges, but the factory gauges are not as accurate, especially the coolant temp.

NorskeBob
07-31-2017, 04:26 AM

X2 can read and clear codes. Has helped when I had issues with the NOx sensors DEF tank heater and TCM - read the codes and discussed with them with the dealer to get the right repairs.

bsmith0404
07-31-2017, 09:17 AM
And those pics show the dash pod I mentioned. You can paint it to match your dash.

Desert185
07-31-2017, 09:22 AM
The info displayed is probably more important for the long term health of your ride than knowing which code is thrown, but knowing the code and being able to clear it can eliminate a lot of grief.

I know people who stop driving when the check engine light illuminates.

NorskeBob
07-31-2017, 10:52 AM
The info displayed is probably more important for the long term health of your ride than knowing which code is thrown, but knowing the code and being able to clear it can eliminate a lot of grief.

I know people who stop driving when the check engine light illuminates.

X2 - I monitor:
Exhaust sensor #1 - post turbo.
DFP soot loading
Engine temp
Transmission temp
Boost level.
There is a red "R" that is lit (above PWR) when the engine is in the DFP is in the regen mode

Do use the diagnostic every once in a while too.

This is a monitor only - not a programmer.

bsmith0404
07-31-2017, 10:55 AM
That and my truck has thrown a code twice over 150k miles for turbo vane position sensor. That puts the truck into a reduced power mode, different from limp mode, and shuts the turbo down (opens the vanes so no boost). Both times I cleared the code without any other issues.

Desert185
07-31-2017, 12:02 PM
Mine began throwing two codes that indicated the end of life of my VP44 injection pump, to include occasionally going into idle only mode. Not good. Clear codes, press on.

I pulled the electrical connector from the injection pump, noticed it was dirty, sprayed it with contact cleaner and blew it out with an air hose. I then coated the contacts with dielectric grease and have never had another issue since. Called for a big WHEW!

tech740
08-03-2017, 09:50 AM
There is also the route of an app for a smart phone. Inside Torque Pro. It's a $5 app. You need a $5-$10 Bluetooth dongle and you can use on any obdII vehicle. It will also monitor most things, not all. Just putting it out there as a cheaper route.