PDA

View Full Version : AC condensation leaking inside camper

alien_scones
07-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Howdy. I have a Dometic AC that has much of the condensation draining on the inside of the RV. Some condensation still drains in the roof.

I took the outside cover off and I did not see any water pooling or drains to unplug. To get deeper into the unit from the roof looked more complicated than I wanted to venture in the direct Texas sun.

AC seems to cold enough and worked fine in the driveway last week. Only difference is this weekend we are in Galveston where the humidity is off the chart.

The RV is level. I cleaned a bunch of dust/dirt off the condenser..

There appears to be a plastic tray underneath the condenser. Water is pooling there and spilling over the lip right down the main opening.

I uploaded a video here https://youtu.be/Jtn59Qz24iA .

I poked and prodded blindly but since I can't fit my head up there I am hoping for a few hints.

Thank you.

2012 Laredo RB300.

chuckster57
07-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Take the ceiling assembly off, then look at the four corners. There should be long screws that hold the AC unit down and compress a seal. If the screws loosen up it will allow water to leak

PARAPTOR
07-28-2017, 05:54 PM
If your rig is level you should see water coming out of holes on both sides of your roof AC unit. Sounds like they are either partially plugged or totally plugged. Had this same problem with my Coleman AC AC, condensate water dripping inside rig overflowing condensate pan. At least on my unit the drain holes were under the coil and could not be reached from the top.

i used a zip tie and poked into the drain hole from the opening between the roof and the bottom of the roof top AC unit. Took a little poking to open the drain hole but once it started flowing pretty much cleaned itself out. Once it drained I continued to pour water water into the condensate pan from the top until water ran out at a good pace. Both holes were plugged on mine.

I thought I would have to lift the roof unit to get to those drains but on mine there was just enough room to poke up into the drain holes.

Good Luck

alien_scones
07-29-2017, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I tightened down the four bolts but I don't think that was the problem. Might prevent a future problem.

I got on the roof and felt around for the drain hole on each side. I used a zip tie and - after several minutes of attempting - fished it through the hole. Lots of water and black particles came draining out. I think I'm good for now.

Whoever designed this AC system should be rewarded a vacation in Galveston with a plugged up AC on the rooftop.

IMHO too many engineers don't have to use the products they design.

Thanks again. Now time to enjoy the beach.

chuckster57
07-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Glad your all good to go! spend a month with me and you'll hear a lot of substitute words for designers and engineers :angel:

TheRealMacGyver
07-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Mine has done that when the filter was dirty. It looked clean, but when I blew it out with compressed air it was a dust storm! Problem solved.