PDA

View Full Version : what do you pull your 28SGS with?

terry104410
07-28-2017, 06:49 AM
looking to find some real fully loaded CAT scale numbers for a Cougar xlite 28SGS. Gross vehicle weight , pin weight ect. Also what you have for a TV. any issues or need to add extras to the TV to make it a better ride. What type hitch do you have , looking for no sway and no chucking and looking for the best. If I gotta get one I don't want to be sorry later I didn't spend what was needed.

Thanks all.

gearhead
07-28-2017, 07:07 AM
I don't have the 28SGS any longer and don't remember the weights. But...I first pulled it with a 2007? GMC 2500, 6.0 gas, 3.73 axle, 4x4, short bed, extended cab. Curt Q20 hitch non slider. I was OK with that truck pulling around coastal Texas and Louisiana. All flat country with the tallest inclines being bridges. The first time we went to the Smokey Mountains I hated it. Screaming high RPM's up hills getting passed by grandmas in minivans and 18 wheelers. Then coasting downhill and passing the same folks. Over and over, hill after hill. It wore me out. Soon after I traded for a 2014? F350 diesel, CC, LB, 4x4, Lariat. Great tow vehicle. No stress. Put it on cruise control and roll. Then I bought the Montana and the current Ram.
Only real issue we had with the 28SGS was securing the rear swivel chairs. I bought some strapping material from WalMart (camping dept.) to better secure them. Also immediately replaced the OEM tires with Maxxis. Added a wet bolt kit as well.

CWSWine
07-28-2017, 11:06 AM
I have also sold mine a couple years ago. I towed with Chevy 2500HD Diesel and it was a great match. I had 2475 yellow tag payload and with me, my wife, hitch and etc in the truck we had right 2000 pounds left over for pin weight. The pin percentage was high around 23 percent of loaded ready to camp weight. On short trip we would tip the scales at about 8100 pounds with a 1850 pounds pin wieght and loaded for couple weeks with just few gallons of water we pin would close to 1950 pin weight.

We also had problems with the chairs. We ended up turning the backs toward the small table and use strip to tie them down.

terry104410
07-28-2017, 12:09 PM
I have been to three different Ford dealer who have said my 2016 f150 will pull this without a problem. Now the guys should be more of the opinion that I need to trade my f150 in for a f250. But they are giving up a sale of a $40,000 vehicle. That why I have been looking for some exact numbers.

cwswine- thanks for the info that is what I was looking for. My pay load is 1750 and the dealers of course say there is "cushion" built into the number. But for me, I don't want to be over weight running with half the stuff left at home. It's a new truck and I just love it. But even using the cushion with the numbers you provide I just don't think I am that comfortable pushing the limit knowing I will be 300 lbs over just to start. Like others have said you always seem to find more stuff to take not less. Just hate to pull the trigger on a trade.

Thanks.

JRTJH
07-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Depending on the F250 options, you will find that some diesel "upper trim option" F250's don't have any more payload than you already have with your F150. A typical 2015 F250 Lariat crew cab short bed diesel only has a payload around 2000 pounds. That's only 250 pounds more than you have right now. Of course a gas engine F250 is about 600 pounds lighter and that's added to the payload. So if you're looking at a gas truck, you'll gain around 1000 pounds of payload, if you're also looking at upgrading to a diesel, you won't gain much, if anything in payload.

ctbruce
07-28-2017, 12:45 PM
See if you can get it in writing that there is a cushion built in. I seriously doubt they would put their buttocks on the line like that and take on any liability that may occur.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

sourdough
07-28-2017, 01:01 PM
See if you can get it in writing that there is a cushion built in. I seriously doubt they would put their buttocks on the line like that and take on any liability that may occur.

Take this idea ^^^^ back to ANY of the dealers that told you there was a cushion, show them the placard on the door then tell them to put it in writing what the cushion is above the mandated sticker then sign it with their name, position and dealership......it ain't gonna happen.

They may have said it would "pull" it OK, but that doesn't mean it has the capacity to "carry" the weight. It's unfortunate you have a newer truck. I think the list is very long of the members here who have traded off a new truck because it wouldn't carry the trailer(s) that were purchased - me included. In your situation looks like you will be 300 over when you drop the pin on the truck, then you add all the folks, toys, hitch, firewood, bbq grill etc. etc. You could easily be 1000 lbs. over by the time you're done.

Bob Landry
07-28-2017, 02:10 PM

I tried to nail my Toyota dealer down lke that on a Tundra and he wasn't haing it. He told me the truck would tow the published rating easily.
If you load the Cougar to capacity, with full propane and no water, you are a little over 10,000lbs. Pin weight is 1400 so that leaves you with 300 lbs of payload which is going to include you, passengers, fuel, and gear loaded in the truck. You aren't going to make it.

sourdough
07-28-2017, 02:18 PM
I tried to nail my Toyota dealer down lke that on a Tundra and he wasn't haing it. He told me the truck would tow the published rating easily.
If you load the Cougar to capacity, with full propane and no water, you are a little over 10,000lbs. Pin weight is 1400 so that leaves you with 300 lbs of payload which is going to include you, passengers, fuel, and gear loaded in the truck. You aren't going to make it.

1410 is the dry pin weight. CWSWine said his pin weight came in at 1950 loaded for a couple of weeks with very little water. So the OP would be almost 300 lbs OVER his payload with a semi loaded trailer and nothing in the TV. Then comes all the "other" stuff. And nope, he won't make it.

gearhead
07-28-2017, 05:10 PM
I think you should be looking at tongue pull travel trailers, or 1 ton diesel trucks.

Bolo4u
07-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Will you ever upgrade to a larger (heavier) 5r in the future? Here are some examples based on real weights.

CAT scale weight of a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4, CC, CTD, Laramie, short bed full of fuel and only my dad and myself (no hitch or cargo) is 8400. Payload sticker is 2052.

CAT scale weight 2017 Ram 3500 drw, CC, CTD, Laramie, longbed, with DW, 7yo chatterbox, full fuel, hitch, and some cargo is 9130. Payload sticker is 5635.

All things being equal, the 3500 weighs about ~500 pounds more than the 2500, but I get over 3500 more pounds cargo capacity. Plus if (when) we upgrade to a larger 5r, all I need to do is hook it up and go.

The truck has pulled our current unit wonderfully. Plus the added benefit of a built in trailer brake and exhaust brake is nice.

notanlines
07-29-2017, 02:11 AM
So far you have gotten pretty good advice in my opinion. To summarize: Loaded for an average weekend your RV will weight about 9-10K, the pin weight will be about 1700-1900 lbs, you'll have four people and full of fuel. You have a 1750 lb figure to shoot for and right now you're at 3000 or so. You need a bumper full or a one ton. The salesmen were correct. Your truck will pull it. It also can be configured to tow a bumper pull safely. I don't believe your fiver comes in under that same statement.

theasphaltrv'er
07-29-2017, 04:30 AM
Terry104410... my 2 cents
We tow with a '13 F-150 XLT HD ECO. We looked at a 28sgs and the dealer tried her darnedest to get us to bite, but with the 28sgs numbers, we knew it was to much for our little 2172# payload truck. So we went with its little brother the 26sab. It's a perfect match with our little truck regardless of what some of the self proclaimed experts have said.

Bob Landry
07-29-2017, 05:19 AM
a 3/4 ton truck would pull it also.It's rated for 12,500 and has the needed payload. A 1 ton would also let him move up to a bigger trailer. Personally, to do it all again, I would go for the 1 ton. No one wishs hey had less truck.