PDA

View Full Version : Power cord problem

Quiroule
07-26-2017, 09:13 AM
The outer layer on my 30 amps power cord seems to have shrunk as there is a 1/8 of an inch between it and the connector, thus I can see the wires.

I checked at Home Depot and found nothing which I could use to bridge that gap. I am sure that electrical is not a good solution to make a long lasting waterproof job.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

hornet28
07-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Is the plug removable or is this a molded cable and end? Either way you could just put a new end on it. If it's molded and you don't want to use one of the big yellow ones because of size you can buy a molded plug and wire and splice it into your present cable and use shrink tubing to seal it

JRTJH
07-26-2017, 09:43 AM
The black plastic outer covering on all power cords is subject to shrinking/pulling away from the plug. Usually this isn't even noticed by owners. When the "colored insulation" of the inner wires becomes visible, there may or may not be a problem with the wiring connections inside the plug. Sometimes the connections pull away from the terminals in the plug (a problem) and other times, what you see is only the black outer covering pulled away (the connections are not affected) and that's not a problem <yet>....

Several ways to repair it. Probably the easiest is to buy a "field replaceable" plug, cut off the old "molded permanent" plug and install the new one. Marinco makes some very good, easy to use plugs. There are other brands that are probably "just as good" but Marinco seems to be a "no hassle brand" that always seems to be "just what I needed".....

Depending on how much separation of the black outer covering you have, it might be time to just replace the plug and not risk any electrical problems "in the dead of night at a strange campground, in the rain when you're trying to set up quickly and get out of the weather because you're dead tired.... For me, that seems to be the "perfect time" for the darned thing to finally completely come apart in my hands......

Here's one replacement https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-30MPRV-Amp-Replacement-Plug/dp/B004VRNMOO/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1501090952&sr=8-19&keywords=marinco+30+amp+plug It seems "pricey" until you look at the offerings and see that it is available for $18 "from other sources"....

xrated
07-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Personally, I would not recommend splicing a power cable as a permanent fix, there's just too many things to go wrong. If not done properly, loose connections can occur, wired wrong, not enough/proper insulation, most likely the person splicing has no way of providing any stain relief at the slice. If the outer insulation jacket/protector has failed, the best bet is to cut the plug body off, buy a new plug or receptacle (which ever one is causing issues) and replace the part. A new connector will have a built in clamp for the outer jacket and provide the proper stain relief to keep the individual conductors from being pulled loose from the plug.

Quiroule
07-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks to all of you.
I am convinced and will buy a replacement plug.

hornet28
07-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Good luck finding anything other than the big yellow ones.

Quiroule
07-26-2017, 01:13 PM
What's wrong with the big yellow one.

JRTJH
07-26-2017, 01:24 PM
What's wrong with the big yellow one.

It doesn't match the color scheme of the cable (black) ... Otherwise, it makes no difference what color it is.....

the sodfather
07-26-2017, 01:38 PM
We use this quit often at work.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-LTB-400-Electrical-Waterproof/dp/B000FPAN2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501105047&sr=8-1&keywords=liquid+electrical+tape

Bob Landry
07-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Is the plug removable or is this a molded cable and end? Either way you could just put a new end on it. If it's molded and you don't want to use one of the big yellow ones because of size you can buy a molded plug and wire and splice it into your present cable and use shrink tubing to seal it

Splicing power cables is never an acceptable repair. Even when done correctly, the constant flexing will cause the connection to come apart.
Cut the old plug off and replace it with a quality component. Electrical stuff is not the place to go cheap, and it doesn't cost that much to fix it right.

hornet28
07-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Nothing wrong with the yellow end if it will fit in the hole in the side of your trailer. It wouldn't on mine and that's why they sell a connector with a short piece of cable for splicing which is what I had to do. there's nothing wrong with a splice done right. The wiring isn't complicated. There are three wires black, white and green and all that's needed is like color to like color. A solid butt connection, some electrical tape and shrink tube fixes it. I used shrink tube on each separate butt connector then wrapped the entire splice with electrical tape then used 2 layers of different length shrink wrap which has glue on the inside for a sealed fit. For those wondering why I didn't just buy another type of end when the yellow wouldn't work instead of splicing. They don't make them anymore or at least that's what I was told by a couple of RV dealer parts stores
I guess someone needs to tell the manufacturer of the end and short cable used to splice that that's all wrong and not an acceptable repair

Quiroule
07-27-2017, 05:02 AM
Luckily it’s the shore end connector which need to be changed as I have already ordered it.

xrated
07-27-2017, 05:50 AM
Nothing wrong with the yellow end if it will fit in the hole in the side of your trailer. It wouldn't on mine and that's why they sell a connector with a short piece of cable for splicing which is what I had to do. there's nothing wrong with a splice done right. The wiring isn't complicated. There are three wires black, white and green and all that's needed is like color to like color. A solid butt connection, some electrical tape and shrink tube fixes it. I used shrink tube on each separate butt connector then wrapped the entire splice with electrical tape then used 2 layers of different length shrink wrap which has glue on the inside for a sealed fit. For those wondering why I didn't just buy another type of end when the yellow wouldn't work instead of splicing. They don't make them anymore or at least that's what I was told by a couple of RV dealer parts stores
I guess someone needs to tell the manufacturer of the end and short cable used to splice that that's all wrong and not an acceptable repair

Just because a company makes something and sells it, doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do. A butt splice connection should never be used when there is a possibility of strain on it. Then, unless you have a crimping tool that has separate dies that are made for each size wire/connector, it's most likely that it's not crimped properly. You may have all of that, I have no idea, but I doubt if you were able to "strain relieve" the connections.

hornet28
07-27-2017, 07:43 AM
Ok for those who say a splice is no good. If your cord had a male end of this size which fits in the recess in the side of the trailer but in replacing it all you can find is the Marinco which will not fit in the opening what would you do? The way I see it is either splice or cut a larger hole in the side of the trailer. If the splice doesn't last then I'll cut a larger hole

JRTJH
07-27-2017, 08:01 AM
Three options I can quickly come up with are:

1. Buy a 30' 30 amp extension cord (WalMart has them for about $35) cut off the "female end" and replace the 30' defective cord by "hardwiring" it to the trailer. Or buy a replacement cord with the appropriate "male end" https://www.amazon.com/Power-Cord-foot-Life-Loose/dp/B00VKQCV2S/ref=sr_1_30?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1501171172&sr=1-30&keywords=30+amp+rv+extension+cord

2. Buy the Camco "mini 30amp male end" and if it is too large with the hand loop, cut off the hand loop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HFT034/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2972357942&pd_rd_wg=vyZ8b&pf_rd_r=G6M8WJ9P3P3P5Z1X8DMR&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B007HFT034&pd_rd_w=o6ul1&pf_rd_i=marinco+30+amp+plug&pd_rd_r=Y5MADCZZE2166VGYMF81&ie=UTF8&qid=1501170874&sr=1

3. Use this as an "opportunity" to mod the trailer by installing a detachable cordset. https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-30ARVKIT-Detachable-Power-Conversion/dp/B000NUYZQC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1501171079&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=marinco+30+amp+shore+power+kit Then, any male end will fit without worry about whether it will "fit through the hole".

Quiroule
07-27-2017, 08:06 AM
I installed the detachable cordset a few years back and really likes it.

JRTJH
07-27-2017, 08:21 AM
I installed the detachable cordset a few years back and really likes it.

The first two mods to my trailer, done by the dealer before pickup were the detachable power cord and 6 volt golf cart batteries. Both "essential" (at least to me) for any trailer.

hornet28
07-27-2017, 09:14 AM
JRTJH, thanks for the links. If I'd known about the mini or if the salesman had told me about it that's the way I would've gone. All I was shown was the larger one so I thought I really had no choice. It's been a while since we've had a trailer and I was fixing this within the first few days of buying this trailer.
You convinced me I just bought a mini. Wish I'd known about it sooner

JRTJH
07-27-2017, 03:17 PM
JRTJH, thanks for the links. If I'd known about the mini or if the salesman had told me about it that's the way I would've gone. All I was shown was the larger one so I thought I really had no choice. It's been a while since we've had a trailer and I was fixing this within the first few days of buying this trailer.
You convinced me I just bought a mini. Wish I'd known about it sooner

Another situation of "never believe a salesman, especially if his lips are moving"..... I've received more "bad information" from the "floor walkers" and "counter agents" at parts stores (auto, RV, appliance and others) than I care to even mention. I've learned through the years, to always go behind the "customer helper" and double check for myself. Whether it's something like, "We don't sell anything called SIKA-FLEX" or "They stopped making that a couple of years ago". Chances are, in the first one, it's on the shelf behind him and on the second, there's two on the clearance rack at the end of the counter...... :facepalm:

I hope that mini-plug works for you.

hornet28
07-27-2017, 03:40 PM
I'm more at home with car/truck stuff. Need to learn about trailer parts. I love it when I go into a parts store and need a part that'll be used on my T hot rod and the guy wants to know what it's going on so he can look it up in the computer. I tell them it won't be there. If they insist I just smile and say "OK it's for a 1917 Ford roadster with a 55 Dodge 270 Hemi w/3 deuces and a 4 spd out of a 70 Duster. Does that help?"

Quiroule
07-30-2017, 10:57 AM
I have received and installed the Camco 55245 RV 30 AMP PowerGrip Replacement Plug. I must say that I am not impressed.

There is a gap close to 1/8 inch wide between the strain relief clamp and the plug body, which leave a path for the water to get inside the plug. That would probably not be problem when you are plugged to the shore power on a post. But when you have to use an extension cord, as it happens on occasion, the plug is horizontal and water could get inside the plug.

I filled the gap with silicon and hope for the best.

TheRealMacGyver
07-30-2017, 11:23 AM
We use this quit often at work.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-LTB-400-Electrical-Waterproof/dp/B000FPAN2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501105047&sr=8-1&keywords=liquid+electrical+tape

This is exactly what I was going to recommend, use it on my boat for all connections. Works great.

flybouy
07-31-2017, 11:25 AM
The manufacturer doesn't need to be informed, you do. The molded plug with a short run of cable is commonly referred to by electricians as a plug with a "whip or tail". They are not intended to be used as a splice connection. The intent is to install into a device or junction box where proper strain relief is provided.

hornet28
07-31-2017, 12:38 PM
flybouy. Read post 18. I was misinformed and I admitted it and changed it out for a Camco mini. Even the mini just barely fits into the cubbyhole

flybouy
07-31-2017, 01:12 PM
I did read post #18. My intent was to inform, if it came across otherwise I apologize. I think the best advice was taking an extension and removing the female end and hardwire it to the campers electrical panel. Then you could purchase a replacement female end and make your current cable into an extension.

hornet28
07-31-2017, 02:27 PM
I already have an extension cord. I doubt that I need another. Even if I'd done the way you just suggested I'd still need a male end. As I said I removed the splice and put on a Camac mini male end.