PDA

View Full Version : Pacific NW help

hornet28
07-24-2017, 03:36 PM
My wife and I are planning on a trip next year to the Pacific NW, then up to Jasper and Banff and have some questions for those who've been there. We would be leaving our home in W. Mi and traveling with our 65# Golden-doodle so pet friendly campgrounds and other areas are a requirement.
When would you prefer to go? Early June to mid July or late Aug through Sept. This is in regards to crowds and when are campground reservations least likely to be required. I would rather not have to stick to a schedule. We will travel I-80 to Winnemucca Nv then make our way to Crater lake as our first real stop.
After Crater Lake we'd be driving along the coast a bit, seeing the Columbia River and were thinking about Vancouver Island but were wondering if the Island is worth the cost of the $225 ferry ride.

cpaulsen
07-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Almost all Oregon State Parks are full during the summer......best to make a reservation.

cant_remember_ID
07-24-2017, 05:23 PM
We just completed a loop that includes some areas where you will go. We live in Reno, drove to Winnemucca on Friday after work, Boise on Saturday where we visited family. hwy 95 is long and boring. From Boise, we drove to Portland and then down the coast on Hwy 101. We stayed in Newport, Coos Bay and then Mt. Shasta on our way back home. We loved driving the 101, it was beautiful. Coos Bay was probably the favorite for the family. Where we stayed we could walk to the beach that had lots of tide pools and lots of aquatic life. As Cpaulsen says, reservations are probably required, especially with the State parks, they fill up quickly. I suspect most private campgrounds are full every night, so you would be taking a big gamble without reservations. Let me know if you want any details.

Steve S
07-24-2017, 05:41 PM
After Crater Lake we'd be driving along the coast a bit, seeing the Columbia River and were thinking about Vancouver Island but were wondering if the Island is worth the cost of the $225 ferry ride.

It's the biggest of the islands and if you take 3 or 4 days you'll have a great time as there's just so much to see and do.:) There's plenty of Provincial and private camping and nearly all of them are by the water or one of the many lakes.

hornet28
07-24-2017, 05:56 PM
Steve, the 3-4 days sounds good but that would mean taking the trailer over and the ferry cost with the trailer would be $548 according to their website

Festus2
07-24-2017, 06:50 PM
We just got back from Vancouver Island and our fees (including reservations) were $187 going and $268 returning. The difference can be explained in that if you travel on certain days and on certain times/sailings, you will get a discount. Unfortunately, our plans did not allow us to take advantage of the reduction on our return trip so we had to pay the full fare.
(Our total length is 45 ft).

If you go in September and school is back in, the need for reservations may not be necessary and there are more openings in campgrounds.

We've made several trips to the Island over the years and never go over for just 3 or 4 days. To our way of thinking, the ferry costs don't justify a short trip. We are both from the Island so, for us, it is like "going home" and try to spend around 2 weeks there.

As an option, you might consider leaving the RV at a campground near the ferry terminal, take your tow vehicle on the ferry and visit the capital - Victoria - and surrounding area. A one day trip --- beautiful cruise on the ferry through the Gulf Islands ------ costs a lot less too! Not sure if this would work with your pooch tho.

If you want any further info or questions .... shoot me a PM.

nellie1289
07-24-2017, 07:29 PM
highly recommend September or you are definitely going to need reservations. pretty much everything above is true. I would encourage you to spend more time in the mountains and less time on the coast. that is just me. Crater lake a must. add crescent lake to your short list or just stay at crescent lake and drive to crater lake for the day or two you want to go. There are some amazing spots on lakes and rivers, AMAZING. the coast is great, if you like wind, and crappy cold summer days. Think british open conditions, minus the rain for the most part! June/July/August all great. SEPTEMBER can be BEAUTIFUL! less crowds too with kids back in school.

bobbecky
07-24-2017, 07:37 PM
Something to consider this year in August is the solar eclipse, which will happen on the 21st. If you don't already have reservations in the area of this event, forget it. You may want to plan well before or after to find places to stop.

GMcKenzie
07-25-2017, 01:10 AM
I just did the Oregon coast and did Jasper/Banff last year. Both time in July and both times needed reservations well in advance (January for Jasper/Banff). September may be easier, but what you may want to do is go online this year to see if spots are available in Sept, just as an indication of what next year will be like.

If you want to do the Oregon coast, Fort Stevens near Astoria is one of the nicest campgrounds I've stayed at.

I've not done the Island but am looking at it for next year. I actually thought it was more than Festus quoted above, but have not looked into it. Friends are moving there so it would be worth it at that price for us.

Desert185
07-25-2017, 08:50 AM
I just reserved a spot at the Oceanside RV Resort/Park on the beach in Coos Bay for next June. Got the last spot that would accomodate the SRX. Normally, we don't plan that far ahead, but a friend is going back and promises a good time if we join them. Reserve now...

Sarvi
07-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Crater Lake can still be full of snow in late June, and the valley can still be rainy at that time. I always strongly recommend August/September to anyone that wants to visit... likely to be no rain or snow anywhere.

notanlines
07-25-2017, 03:17 PM
Hornet, we have travelled Oregon extensively over the years. Everywhere you go is beautiful, but Highway 97 in the middle of the state takes the cake. Having travelled every one of the 50 states we can both tell you there is no state any more beautiful than Oregon. This RV park is dead in the middle of some of the best, just south of Bend on 97 easily accessible to Crater Lake. And a nice RV Park.
http://www.bigpinesrvpark.com/gallery/

Bolo4u
07-25-2017, 04:10 PM
At the start of the trip we're currently on (towing a 333MKS 5r), we stayed the first night at Valley of the Rouge SP, very nice, easy access, big, generally flat spaces. Would definitely recommend.

Second night in, stayed another state park... Ainsworth, near Troutdale, OR.

Very narrow roads, low overhanging trees, no kiosk/office to check in, very unlevel, broken asphalt pad (like parking on a mound). They had some type of construction going on, and someone had dumped about 8 yards of road base on one of the main two entrance roads, blocking it. Of course it was adjacent to the spot we were in, so after I set up and unhooked, I had to back my pickup about 150 yards to get back to the trailer. I would never go there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Steve S
07-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Steve, the 3-4 days sounds good but that would mean taking the trailer over and the ferry cost with the trailer would be $548 according to their website

I'm signed up to their site and they always have deals like this http://www.bcferries.com/promotions/size-up-the-savings.html?utm_source=enl&utm_campaign=2017SummerPricingPromos&cmp=1&utm_medium=email. At times it's a PIA as at times they send too many emails but that's probably just me as I'm not a fan of email.:nonono:
As far as reservations go if you make them a few days before the weekends you'll always get on. I have a cabin on the Gulf Islands and with 2 boats a day along with the crowds reservations are a must at least a week before and I've always made it on.
There is a cheaper way to get to VI going through the Gulf Islands but you're looking at time plus boat rides which I enjoy so that's the way that I always do it.:)
Hey if you can spend a few weeks there then that's the way to do it as you'll be on island time which really isn't a time at all.:)

hornet28
07-25-2017, 04:28 PM
The general consensus seems to be go in late Aug and enjoy the Sept weather. We've decided that's what we'll do. Generally that's the time we like to go anyway but thought maybe this time we should go earlier.

Desert185
07-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Oregon coastal weather (Coos Bay)

http://www.intellicast.com/local/history.aspx?location=USOR0072

Cheryl
07-26-2017, 10:28 AM
We live in Calgary and made our first trailer trip to Banff then Jasper. Reservations were a must at least for summer. We went online the second day they opened and only got non serviced sites, although it was so private and beautiful!! Some sites are much more open. But you can see the photos to decide. One thing to consider is the Mosquitos! We went first part of July and had about 20-30 hovering on the screens. We did bring an outdoor screen tent but they still get in when you use the door. Also, we can get smoke from the fires in bc. To me, fall would be the best time. No bugs, less crowds, probably no smoke and good daytime weather. Nights will be cold which is good for summer. Jasper is amazing! You can overnight in the parking lot at the icefields and purchase tours. National campgrounds are great if you want more privacy. Not sure how busy they get in the fall? Check on the opening and closing dates.
It seems the government campgrounds get very full early. Our season is so short so people make the most of it. I haven't been too impressed with the private ones so far. So condensed. You will love the Rockies!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

arniez
07-26-2017, 02:09 PM
If you get to the Oregon and/or Washington coast, 2 of my favorite campgrounds: Bullards Beach State Park north of Bandon, Oregon. Cape Disappointment State Park, Ilwaco, Washington. You'll need to make reservations. They're typically booked for the summer. Some one else mentioned Valley of the Rogue State Park by Rogue River, Oregon. Also a great park.

Mandolin
07-31-2017, 02:56 PM
If you get to the Oregon and/or Washington coast, 2 of my favorite campgrounds: Bullards Beach State Park north of Bandon, Oregon. Cape Disappointment State Park, Ilwaco, Washington. You'll need to make reservations. They're typically booked for the summer. Some one else mentioned Valley of the Rogue State Park by Rogue River, Oregon. Also a great park.

Just got back from 2 weeks at Bullard's Beach, my favorite coast campground. As always, when it is hot and dry inland, it can be cool, very windy and foggy in the morning. Mornings are best for walking on the beach, though, it's often too windy in the afternoon. You can usually find mid-week spots for a night or two which hopefully you fit in, but weekends are usually booked solid. There are a couple fishing events in September, so planning to go right after the kids go back to school is not always successful, as far as finding a site.

Although it is a little out of the way (by 50 miles or so), I'd suggest Lost Creek Lake (Joseph Stewart State Park) over Valley of the Rogue, especially if you are staying several days. Valley of the Rogue is pretty but it is RIGHT on I-5. Right now (7/31/2017) there is a fire near Prospect, between Lost Creek Lake and Crater Lake/Diamond Lake and while Stewart is open, they are using it as staging for the fire effort.

If you are not in a hurry, Collier State Park near Chiloquin on Hwy 97 is right on the Williamson River and a small ice-cold spring-fed river, both are beautiful. Plus the Collier Logging Museum is right across the road. Then you could stay the next night in my favorite campground on Hwy 97, La Pine State Park, which is well off the highway and very peaceful. Lots of stuff to see there - Fort Rock (tuff cone erupted into a wetland/pluvial lake when all of the valley was a massive Pleistocene lake), Newberry Crater/Paulina Peak, high Cascades lakes, quick trip north to Bend.

Lake Billy Chinook, up past Bend by Madras, is also pretty spectacular (although it isn't a state park), there is camping via NFS.

Oregon state parks tend to be very nice, often with showers, usually electricity and water, sometimes sewer.

DocWMB
02-06-2018, 12:43 AM
One option that nobody has brought up yet would be a stay in Oregon Wine Country. Champoeg State Park is in the middle of it, 45 minutes from Portland and Salem for sightseeing daytrips, within 5 miles of at least 30 wineries/tasting rooms, and in the middle of the Willamette Valley, a beautiful part of Oregon. We're well known for our Pinot Noir, Reisling, Pinot Gris, and several other varietals. :)

https://oregonstateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/champoeg-state-heritage-area/r/facilityDetails.do?contractCode=OR&parkId=405213

notanlines
02-06-2018, 02:19 AM
Sorry, Doc, but this OP was a very good year, and the bottle is empty. I believe this trip has been taken.....:D

DocWMB
02-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Wasn't sure, Jim. In July of 2017, original post started "My wife and I are planning on a trip next year to the Pacific NW,..." Maybe he'll clear it up. If not, it might help others.

notanlines
02-06-2018, 03:46 PM
Doc, your style of response ALWAYS helps others. If it just brought four more visitors into wine country think of the tastings they'll enjoy. We loved our Cal/Oregon/Wash tour two years ago. Never a shortage of things to see and do.

Mandolin
02-16-2018, 10:27 PM
For future reference: Crater Lake in June is dicey. Many of the campgrounds still have snow and the North Entrance and Rim Drive may or may not be open yet. July-Sept is a better bet.