PDA

View Full Version : Hot water tank

gazapo
07-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Have a Atwood 10E hot water tank, gas portion operational while electric portion is not. Replaced element and relay, have power up to relay but when switch pressed on, nothing happens. Any ideas? By the way thanks to all who replied to furnace/AC problems, it was the control module located in AC return air duct.

Bolo4u
07-22-2017, 06:13 PM
Have a Atwood 10E hot water tank, gas portion operational while electric portion is not. Replaced element and relay, have power up to relay but when switch pressed on, nothing happens. Any ideas? By the way thanks to all who replied to furnace/AC problems, it was the control module located in AC return air duct.

How new of a hot water tank? Quick summary of the issue I had with mine on a 2016 ( purchased new) Cougar 333mks. I used the hot water daily and normally, about 4 days a week; morning shower, dishes at night and gone during the day at work. I only ran it off the electric side, but did have gas side available. Then one morning I got up to shower, and brrrr, NO hot water!? WTF?? I checked a few things and nothing. I flipped on the gas and showered about 20 min later.

Did a bunch of research, called the dealer (bring it in so we can fix it, etc), and started checking things. Because it is my home away while at work 4 days a week, I couldn't just take it to the dealer. Did more research and eventually diagnosed the issue:

A braided 4 inch jumper wire connected to the relay from the 110 solid supply had melted and fused. When I removed the wire nut (yes, that's what they used) I discovered most of the braided wires had been pushed down, which left only a few wires actually making contact. My guess it the current draw was such that it over heated the jumper causing it to melt and fail. Luckily, that's all that happened. I replaced the jumper and ensured the other wires in the bundle were attached/connected properly.

I had been in contact with the service manager during the week of my diagnosis and repair, and shared my findings with him. He assured me, despite I made the repair myself, my warranty would not be affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro