PDA

View Full Version : Who levels while in storage?

hdrolling
07-19-2017, 10:33 AM
When I put my camper in storage, either for a week or a few months, I put all the stabilizers down and auto level.

I notice in my storage area most of the campers just use the front two stabilizers, some are high up(maybe to let the rain run back off easier) and some leveled but still with just the two.

Am I the only one using all the stabilizers and auto leveling every time I disconnect?

Any pro's or cons to using or not using all 6? It only takes a minute to raise and lower all of them and run the auto level.

rhagfo
07-19-2017, 11:03 AM
Not an issue for us any more as we full time now, BUT when we did put in storage, I left the nose just like when I disconnected as it was easier to hook up later.
Two inches nose high at 32' will not effect the refer operation.

Tbos
07-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Just use the tongue jack and leave it at a slight nose high attitude. Fewer points in contact with the ground means fewer paths for rodents and other pests to crawl in.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

mfifield01
07-19-2017, 12:52 PM
My storage space slopes back, so I just leave it nose up. My hope is that any rain will run off easier. Also, I doubt I'd be able to get it level.

Pull Toy
07-19-2017, 01:28 PM
We park her "nose high" for rain / snow run-off. Front gear only, on blocks, with weather protection, and extra lubrication. The less silver showing the better.

The other four rams are lubricated, and safely stored in their retracted position to protect against grit, and weather related deterioration.

Good Luck

Johnny's Journey
07-19-2017, 04:28 PM
I level mine. Things tend to get twisted out of shape and like to stay that way is how I see it. But I'm anal that way. If it's of concern to be level then do it. If it's okay that it's left the way one like's then do that to.

JRTJH
07-19-2017, 06:12 PM
Ours "winters" in the pole barn, the floor is level so no need to stabilize. In the summer, it's parked beside the garage on crushed limestone. That pad is also level. I only use the landing gear so it's easier to hitch and go without having to break down all the stabilizers and jacks. We've always been fortunate enough to have a level storage pad and have never stabilized except in Louisiana when a hurricane was predicted to pass by. Then we chocked, hitched to the truck and set all the stabilizers/jacks to help prevent "rocking and rolling".... Otherwise, it just sits on the tires and landing gear.

xcntrk
07-20-2017, 03:41 AM
I level mine in storage as long as it doesn't lift the tires on one side. Don't want the slack suspension and load on the landing gear for prolonged periods of time. I level it because I've dealt with the challenges from water and crud run-off when not level with other trailers. I'd rather the rig be level to get proper run-off in the weather.

theeyres
07-20-2017, 07:42 PM
When I disconnect I'm nose high. I leave it there so I don't have to change the level to rehook and also think it will help water run off. I can't think of one good reason to put down the stabilizers. Why would you? There is a little bounce if I have to get into the trailer but no more than when travelling or any other time.

hdrolling
07-21-2017, 08:24 PM
I can't think of one good reason to put down the stabilizers. Why would you?

My thought process was that with the high winds here in NC having all the stabilizers down would limit any damage to the front two stabilizers if they were solely holding up the front of the camper.

Being my first camper and not knowing, that was my reasoning to use all six.

I could see if you didn't have automated stabilizers maybe not using them because the hassle of drilling the rear ones down.

But after I move the truck out from under I hit the auto level and everything is done while I'm walking around to make sure everything is locked up.

Now that I know it won't cause any damage I might try just the front two and leaving the front higher.