PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Laredo Waste Tank Dump handle broke

Davis7174
07-19-2017, 05:11 AM
I am trying to find out if the T-handle that is attached by cable to the waste tank valve can be replaced without taking the underbelly down. Went to dump the waste water tank and the T-handle broke off the cable. The tank valve was open and it did dump. It looks to me like you could reattach the cable to the T-handle but I'm not sure. Anybody out there have any luck with this? :banghead:

JRTJH
07-19-2017, 06:17 AM
It sounds like your handle broke "inside the coroplast" at the slide valve body. If that's the situation, then you can cut a "3 sided square" access (leave the front edge as a "hinge") fold that down and access the area where the valve is located. Depending on what broke, you may be able to repair it without replacement or you might find that you have to remove the valve body and replace the entire assembly. With a full tank, it's not a pleasant task, with an empty tank it's not quite as "traumatic" but you'll still want to shower when you're finished. Once you know it's working properly, you can clean the coroplast with alcohol and seal the three edges with Gorilla Tape.

As an alternative, depending on the location of the valve, you may be able to remove the screws from a portion of the coroplast and access the valve. That said, you'll probably find it easier to have a "drip pathway" that doesn't pool on the coroplast, so cutting a hole is probably "preferred" for black tank valve repairs.

Davis7174
07-19-2017, 06:43 AM
The T-handle broke off the cable in the compartment where the water hookups are. Is that repairable or do i have to replace the entire cable line?

Canonman
07-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Our T handle came off on our first trip out, but did not break. The handle actually has a threaded fitting on it that we were able to reconnect without having to cut an access hole.
I'd suggest a look at the end of the T handle to see if there are threads. If truly broken, then creating an access is the only option.

Davis7174
07-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Yeah, the cable threads broke out of the handle. I sure was hoping there was an easier way to fix it. Thank you for the help.

JRTJH
07-19-2017, 07:28 AM
If the rod that "was" threaded is long enough, you might be able to cut new threads and reinstall a replacement handle. Failing that, if there's enough length, you might find a "compression fitting (like the axle/wheel retainer clips) to rig some kind of "fix"..... Barring that kind of "work around", you'll probably find that a replacement from the valve to the handle attachment on the frame is needed.

The good news is that most of the cable assemblies can be replaced on the valve body without removing the valve, so you may not have to "lay in poo" to fix it. Access to the valve will be required unless you can rethread the rod on the end of the Bowden cable.

Davis7174
07-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Thank you. I may try that first. :)