PDA

View Full Version : Passport Elite Cabinet Latches

Jenl
07-17-2017, 03:17 PM
We bought a 2016 Passport Elite 23RB in January. We have been on the road 3 months with 3 more months to go on our around the country tour. We are new RVers (although I can't seem to remember ever living in a house at this point) LOL. When we first started out I would come in to set things up inside after a day on the road and more often than not some of the cabinet doors would be open with half of the contents on the floor. Over the course of a month I arranged things with the heavier items in lower cabinets and those cabinets do not come open. I have gripper shelf lining to keep things from sliding. I am using painters tape on all cabinets to keep them closed as well as on the fridge and freezer. Today I came in and the freezer door was open and my treasured Halo Ice Cream was rolling around on the floor. I'm so frustrated and hate the tape. Is this a common problem or am I doing something wrong?

Pamac37
07-17-2017, 03:43 PM
We bought a 2016 Passport Elite 23RB in January. We have been on the road 3 months with 3 more months to go on our around the country tour. We are new RVers (although I can't seem to remember ever living in a house at this point) LOL. When we first started out I would come in to set things up inside after a day on the road and more often than not some of the cabinet doors would be open with half of the contents on the floor. Over the course of a month I arranged things with the heavier items in lower cabinets and those cabinets do not come open. I have gripper shelf lining to keep things from sliding. I am using painters tape on all cabinets to keep them closed as well as on the fridge and freezer. Today I came in and the freezer door was open and my treasured Halo Ice Cream was rolling around on the floor. I'm so frustrated and hate the tape. Is this a common problem or am I doing something wrong?

I can say, I have a 2017 Passport Elite 19RB and travel up and down winding mountain roads and have dishes in my top cabinets and never have opened. I've traveled with a bag of ice in the freezer and it's never opened, so I'm not sure what to tell you. I have gripper shelf lining from Lowe's in all cabinets. My RV is 3 months old and have been towing every other weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slow
07-17-2017, 03:45 PM

We have a 2015 23RB with over 16,000 miles over rough roads. The only door opening event was the large drawer under the stove. Only light items are stowed in upper cabinets and everything heavy is in the lower.

I check all the catches for alignment ever spring and I use a screw driver to "open up" the sheet metal tab a bit to increase resistance in the catch. As for the drawer under the stove, we use a Velcro loop to secure it to the cabinet frame when in transit.

Jenl
07-17-2017, 05:36 PM
We just went around with the screw driver and worked on the tabs. The doors seem tighter. I also double checked what was stored in each cabinet. Thank you so much for the suggestion. Tomorrow I'm going tapeless to see how it works. Fingers crossed.

slow
07-17-2017, 06:11 PM
Glad the tweaking of the latch tabs helped.

I forgot to mention about the fridge doors: Not sure what fridge you have. Ours is an Atwood and the doors need a good push to make sure they are latched closed.

Another trick: we keep our dishes, bowls, glasses and a few small appliances in these cases from bed bath and beyond:https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/org-quilted-6-piece-china-storage-set-in-grey/1043726547?Keyword=dish+case

I am sure the cases are cheaper in the USA than in Canada.

Our routine before travelling is the DW does her packing and then I do a check before we depart. Sometimes we miss something like wrapping the microwave rotating base in a towel!