PDA

View Full Version : New Montana 3811ms

Koladog
07-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Just looked at the new 2017 Montana 3811ms. I really like the layout. My question is: is there much difference towing a 40' fifth wheeler compared to towing a 35' trailer? Plus the fact that there is an additional 3,000 lbs to consider. Just wondering. Thanks.

brad2388
07-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Just looked at the new 2017 Montana 3811ms. I really like the layout. My question is: is there much difference towing a 40' fifth wheeler compared to towing a 35' trailer? Plus the fact that there is an additional 3,000 lbs to consider. Just wondering. Thanks.

You will probly notice a smoother ride. But since your going to a fifth wheel the total length will be about the same. Youll have it in the bed of the truck vs the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xrated
07-19-2017, 02:08 AM
Another important factor to consider is the payload capacity of YOUR truck. I see that you have a F350, but one of the big differences between a tow behind and a 5ver is the amount of weight that the truck carries. Tow behind trailers typically see 10 to 15% of the trailer weight as tongue weight, averaging around 12% or so on most rigs. 5vers on the other hand can be in the 20 to 25% range.. That amount of pin weight, plus the 175-200 lb hitch, plus passenger weight, cargo weight,....EVERYTHING, can easily be more weight than you have available payload capacity. The trailer you mentioned is approaching 17,000 lbs GVWR. 20% of that is 3400 lbs, plus a 200 lb hitch plus all the other stuff I mentioned. You could quite easily be over 4000 lb for loading of your truck. So the question becomes, do you have that much available payload capacity? Check the yellow sticker on your door pillar....or better yet, run the truck across a CAT scale and get a true truck weight, then subtract that number from the GVWR of your truck......that's your available payload. And again, anything and everything that goes on or in the truck, counts against your available payload.

rhagfo
07-19-2017, 05:07 AM
Another important factor to consider is the payload capacity of YOUR truck. I see that you have a F350, but one of the big differences between a tow behind and a 5ver is the amount of weight that the truck carries. Tow behind trailers typically see 10 to 15% of the trailer weight as tongue weight, averaging around 12% or so on most rigs. 5vers on the other hand can be in the 20 to 25% range.. That amount of pin weight, plus the 175-200 lb hitch, plus passenger weight, cargo weight,....EVERYTHING, can easily be more weight than you have available payload capacity. The trailer you mentioned is approaching 17,000 lbs GVWR. 20% of that is 3400 lbs, plus a 200 lb hitch plus all the other stuff I mentioned. You could quite easily be over 4000 lb for loading of your truck. So the question becomes, do you have that much available payload capacity? Check the yellow sticker on your door pillar....or better yet, run the truck across a CAT scale and get a true truck weight, then subtract that number from the GVWR of your truck......that's your available payload. And again, anything and everything that goes on or in the truck, counts against your available payload.

Well based on the statement that the OP just looked at the new Montana, and his signature states 2013 Keystone Montana (Mountaineer Edition) 295RKD, he is already towing a 5er. That and the current 5er comes in at 14,145#GVWR. The largest difference is at about 3,000# dry wight of the two 5er's.

notanlines
07-19-2017, 05:12 AM
Koladog, I see the pin weight on your new unit to be about 2700 pounds. If you can safely fit this on your 350 as xrated mentioned, you'll never go back to a bumper pull again. Remember there are a number of things you have to add to that 2700 before you can match it to the yellow sticker on your door jamb.

Tbos
07-19-2017, 09:31 AM
The biggest thing I've heard is some CGs don't have space for anything bigger than a 35'.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

Koladog
07-25-2017, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes, I am already towing a 5th wheel at a dry weight of about 10,500 lbs and both my wife and I find that manageable. And yes you are also correct that many campgrounds we visit can fit us in but just barely. So an additional 5 feet and 3,000 lbs with the new fiver we are considering are my main concerns. Is the more space, residential fridge, capacity worth the additional stress and will I find towing a bigger rig much different than what I have today?

Javi
07-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes, I am already towing a 5th wheel at a dry weight of about 10,500 lbs and both my wife and I find that manageable. And yes you are also correct that many campgrounds we visit can fit us in but just barely. So an additional 5 feet and 3,000 lbs with the new fiver we are considering are my main concerns. Is the more space, residential fridge, capacity worth the additional stress and will I find towing a bigger rig much different than what I have today?

The extra 5 feet will knock you out of many parks, I wouldn't own a trailer with a residential fridge... period As for stress of towing a bigger trailer... it ain't no big deal if you got plenty of truck... but at 13K + you is getting out of that SRW's class...

jonnyaiks
07-25-2017, 11:57 AM
You haven't said anything about this so forgive me if you were already sorted, but when I went to large 5er I got an education (might have started on this forum). Make sure your TV safety inspection sticker and RGW registration (plate sticker) are in order if you're going interstate or up to Canada. The increased mass of your new trailer may bump up the requirements (and naturally the cost) from your old one.
It's one thing to be over one's sticker payload, but once they start piling insufficient registration, it starts getting pretty ugly. Government has figured out a pretty tidy source of revenue, mostly from visitors who don't vote where it happens.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

gearhead
07-26-2017, 06:28 AM
Does the OP live in Canada?
edit...disregard...I Goggle mapped it.
But I bet you are over your Payload Capacity with that 5th wheel, maybe even the one you have now.
Ford.
edit again....always pay attention to what Javi says. I ain't caught him lyin yet.
:)

Koladog
07-27-2017, 01:06 PM
Javii, Jonny, Gearhead, thanks; you're probably right about it being too much for my TV; as for my current one, I did the numbers and we are ok but thanks for the caution and making me redo the calculations. Better safe than sorry. Probably have to review our options now.