PDA

View Full Version : How to keep Rodents OUT

Hideout2017
07-15-2017, 07:33 PM
How's everyone doing ! What does everyone do to prevent rodents going into your RV's ? Especially during storage. Of course the precautions taking food out of pantries when not in use etc. I notice on our TT that the undercarriage is covered well from manufacturing but small cracks where the wires go into the rv. Thanks in advance for all the tips and tricks.

bobbecky
07-15-2017, 09:06 PM
We fulltime and just captured the second mouse that had gotten into our rig while set up in the mountains. We still are not sure how they got in and this is the first time in about five years. The only opening that they could have entered at is where the water hose comes up into the convenience center, which I now keep plugged with a large piece of foam rubber surrounding the hose, this after the fact. Make sure your slides are adjusted correctly so they are sealed when open as well as when closed. Make sure all openings are closed or blocked. Wish there was a good way to keep them out.

CrazyCain
07-16-2017, 02:48 AM
We lay dryer sheets all over the place in the Hideout when in winter storage, plus we hang little bags of MothBalls outside at the 4 stabilizer jacks in each corner. Summer when not in use, we just have the dryer sheets laying around..So far, no mices.....

JimQ
07-16-2017, 04:02 AM
The only way to keep mice out is to secure all possible entry points. I went underneath the TT and found numerous areas that a critter could squeeze through. Gorilla tape took care of that. I thought I had the situation taken care of. To my surprise, I saw some evidence that a mouse had made it inside again. I finally found the last 2 entry points. Go to the rear of the trailer and look where the main frame meets the rear bumper. Right above these points, there was a slot approximately 1/4" x 1 1/2" that would allow rodents to get inside. Again, gorilla tape took care of this. I also use a stainless steel scrub around the power cord when plugged in. Since I live in a rural area, I always have traps set around the TT year round. Hope this helps.

Pull Toy
07-16-2017, 04:02 AM
Inspect all of your "service" inlets. For example, under the sinks, washer/drier access spots, any opening between the floor and the cabin. Manufacturers use a whole saw that seems to be one size fits all, put a plastic piece around it and run their plumbing and wires. We use wadded aluminum foil to pack the openings around these spaces.

They won't chew through it. Stainless steel wool scrubbers also work, but more expensive.

Good Luck,

bsmith0404
07-16-2017, 05:16 AM
The dryer sheets is a great tool that works for inside. We place them in every cabinet and all around. Usually get a box of 80 and use the whole thing. Not sure it will keep them out from the underbelly though. We keep our stored inside and have bait and traps set all around it. So far we've only had 1 that decided to commit suicide. If you park outside, you may want to get more aggressive with the traps. Maybe even some small live traps that are still able to work to capture multiple rodents. A regular trap once tripped is no longer going to prevent the next rodent from entering your trailer.

slow
07-16-2017, 05:43 AM
We have had good success using Fresh Cab for extended storage periods: http://www.earthkind.com/products/featured-fresh-cab-rodent-repellent

As others have said, close openings as the first step. As a second step, remove all food sources from inside the TT including spills. Then use fabric softener sheets or Fresh Cab to prevent mice from using their sense of smell to guide them to any other food source (since their sense of smell, not sight, is what they use to move about).

Canonman
07-16-2017, 07:22 AM
Might be a little overkill but I used a can of expanding foam sealant (Great Stuff) and a bunch of steel wool to seal off every penetration under the Cougar. Rodents hate steel wool and the sealant makes all air tight. Then I took the sealant and found every penetration through the floor inside the Cougar and filled those. The only penetrations I couldn't do this with were the entry point for the power cord and the city water connection. The power cord opening is filled with steel wool only both when in use and stored. The city water issue was solved using a suggestion from an earlier post from this forum: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25290.
When we store the Cougar for the winter we line all the drawers, storage areas and
cabinets with the lavender dryer sheets. No rodent issues with our current Cougar or our previous TT. Hope this helps

sourdough
07-16-2017, 08:41 AM
^^^^x2 on the Fresh Cab. We use it while ours is in storage and so far no problems.

Hideout2017
07-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the helpful tips everyone !

Outback 325BH
07-16-2017, 12:05 PM
I lay mouse poison stations all under my camper... about 8 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkohler70
07-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Years ago I worked as an exterminator, and the dryer sheet suggestion always amuses me. People who used this method would often simply end up with good-smelling mouse nests. The only good thing is they might chew up the dryer sheets instead of a seat cushion. You can also tell you have mice because the dryer sheets will start disappearing.
Dryer sheets won't really hurt anything, but they will certainly do nothing to prevent mice. This probably started because someone tried it, didn't have mice, and concluded it must be the reason. I point my RV nose toward the west, and have never had a mouse. Same conclusion can be drawn.

bsmith0404
07-16-2017, 02:01 PM
I don't know about the dryer sheet as a 100% solution, but I do know that we had our RV parked side by side with some friends, we used the sheets, they didn't. They had mice chew their wires, we didn't. Maybe they had other issues that attracted them to their camper vs ours, but I'm gad I had the dryer sheets if that was what made the difference

Canonman
07-16-2017, 05:17 PM
In defense of the dryer sheets, we had mice in the house. 40 acre field behind us so no surprise. Was told about lavender dryer sheets. Used 'em and no mice. Coincidental...maybe. But they do no harm and the Cougar smells nice when we open it in the spring:)
BTW, still using them in the house too

slow
07-16-2017, 05:45 PM
My understanding is that having a scent that lasts a long time is what is key. So if enough dryer sheets are used or replaced often enough, they will prevent mice from getting orientated enough to enter your TT. A scent depleted dryer sheet (or Fresh Cab) will do nothing to discourage mice from entering your TT.

https://youtu.be/7X4yLGzGLQo

JRTJH
07-16-2017, 07:44 PM
We live in an area where field mice and chipmunks are more common than people. The pole barn becomes a "spa" every winter and no matter how hard I try, they seem to find a way in. I keep the trailer, the 4 wheelers and my boat in the pole barn. The boat is covered so that helps some, the trailer is "sealed" as best I can along all the factory holes. I use Fresh Cab and a jar of peanut butter. The Fresh Cab packets: one in the front storage, one in the refrigerator vent area and 3 or 4 inside, all set on paper plates to prevent stains if they happen to get wet (never have, but who knows when)... I also put a couple under the boat cover and one under the dash in the RZR and one packet on the motor on both the RZR and the Artic Cat.

As for the jar of peanut butter, I make some "sammiches" and sit out behind the pole barn with my pellet gun every fall. It's great target practice and a good way to not focus on raking leaves during the "fall color season".... I figure the more I can reduce the population, the less there'll be in the spring.... They are "prolific" to say the least, so every one that doesn't spend the winter in the pole barn is probably 15 or 20 that I don't have to feed in the spring.

jkohler70
07-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Just don't use dryer sheets as your only method of mouse control. I'm 100% certain this is a myth. But if it gives you peace of mind, it won't hurt anything either.

Outback 325BH
07-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Just don't use dryer sheets as your only method of mouse control. I'm 100% certain this is a myth. But if it gives you peace of mind, it won't hurt anything either.

I agree.

Rat poison works great though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk