PDA

View Full Version : Hauling bikes

BlackNoir
07-15-2017, 07:05 PM
As a new 5th wheel owner I'm curious what others are using to haul bikes? We have 4 and I'm thinking of adding a hitch and getting a bike rack but I'm hoping there might be a better solution?

Thanks,
Shay

rhagfo
07-15-2017, 08:50 PM
As a new 5th wheel owner I'm curious what others are using to haul bikes? We have 4 and I'm thinking of adding a hitch and getting a bike rack but I'm hoping there might be a better solution?

Thanks,
Shay

Think about a pin box receiver to use for bikes.

gearhead
07-16-2017, 04:34 AM
Somewhat depends on which 5th wheel you have. I believe the Alpine has a rear receiver from the factory. If you don't have a factory receiver, and want to carry bikes on the rear, don't use a bolt on hitch on the factory bumper. It's sheet metal and not very strong.

Canonman
07-16-2017, 04:52 AM
Our Cougar came equipped with a "Cargo/Bike Rack". It pulls out from the rear and is attached to the I beam frame of the trailer. What a piece of junk! I was able to mod this so we could use our Thule 2 place bike rack, but from the factory it's not worth much.
If your Cougar isn't equipped with a rack or receiver already, then I'd suggest taking it to a welding shop and having a receiver hitch welded to the frame. Most shops can do this for about $400. This way you can pick the bike rack you like or swap it out for a cargo carrier depending on the trip and your needs.

bsmith0404
07-16-2017, 05:06 AM
I've been down this road several times and learned the hard way. I do carry our bikes on a receiver at the back of the 5er. They get bounced around a lot back there so a good rack is required.

I started out with the kids bikes when they were small, had a "heavy duty" 4 bike rack from walmart, carried 3 bikes on it, had to remove one of the bikes 2 hours into our first trip and put it inside the 5er as the rack bent.

Then I got a really "heavy duty" rack from Cabelas. The main post on it was huge and it even had a hitch adapter for pulling a small trailer. No way that one is going to bend! WRONG! It did make it on a 1,100 mile trip, but was noticeably bent. Time to try something else.

They say you get what you pay for. Well I paid for this rack..https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Thule/TH9034XTS-9036XTS.html It is the only one I've found that holds up to the abuse of hanging 3 or 4 bikes off the back end of a 40' 5th wheel.

I also have a smaller, little bit lighter, 2 bike rack that I use for the DW and my bikes. We normally use that one on a front receiver hitch off the front bumper. I used it on the back of the 5er a couple times. It held up okay, but I did find a weak point. There was a small pin at the pivot point that locked it into place. I snapped the pin on one trip. Had to replace it with a good quality grade 8 bolt.

If you can find or have someone build a pin box rack, it's probably a better way to go, but then you have to watch that close when turning, especially if you have a 6' bed. The rack I linked above will work, but it's not cheap.

gearhead
07-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Be aware there could be issues claiming warranty on a frame that has been welded on.
I did it, but I live dangerously. Ahem....

Outback 325BH
07-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Has anyone had a warranty claim on a frame, that was NOT denied for some BS reason?

I pretty much figure camper warranties are worth less than the paper I put in my black tank... so I modify away and don't worry about voiding any warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
07-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Frame warranties are BS. Tell me how welding on the back 12" of a frame is going to cause a frame to fail. Oh well, I look at it the same way, I'll do what I need to do to make it all work for me.

Thundershorts
07-17-2017, 02:27 PM
I had the dealer weld a hitch to the frame of the 5er and I purchased a bike rack from CW. Works great. I can see the last bike with the observation camera.

Chevrolise
07-17-2017, 06:03 PM
On my older camper I removed the aluminum (decorator) cover on the bumper and mounted a bolt on 2" receiver bumper hitch, 12 years without a hitch, :lol:
the wife's and kids bikes. Of course I didn't put my bike on it, carbon frame. But then I never put it in the truck bed either, it rode inside.

mets721
07-18-2017, 04:37 PM
I lay up to two bikes down in front of the refrigerator in my Cougar. I place a thick blanket down to protect the floor. The factory slide out rack is worthless. I bought a bike rack that attaches to the ladder last year and put two kids bikes on it, for 12-13 year olds. The bouncing around bent the rack and I almost dumped both of them in the roadway on the first trip. I think that you need a really strong rack to handle all the bouncing on the back of a 5er. Especially if it's adult bikes. Then you have to find a spot for the spare.

tech740
07-18-2017, 08:36 PM
So far this has served me well.