PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Giron

eddiegiron
07-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2018 Montana High Country 362RD. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel pickup. Anyone else towing a fifth wheel with a Ram 2500? The fifth wheel I purchased weighs 12,724

Jeepshots
07-14-2017, 08:47 PM
Hi Eddie and welcome to the forum from central Arkansas. There's plenty of good information floating around here, just pull up a search bar and get comfortable. I cannot speak to your question, as I have a travel trailer - but i'm willing to bet there will be plenty of responses in short order! Congratulations on the Montana!

xrated
07-15-2017, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the forum. I just looked up the 5ver that you purchased, on the Keystone site and you have a GVWR on that trailer of 15,800 lbs. The pin weight that they publish is an empty pin weight and will be considerably more when the trailer is loaded. I have no idea what the payload capacity of your truck is, but pin weights (20% of the trailer loaded weight) would put you in the 3100 lb range...and that's before adding in the 5ver hitch for towing it.....let's say 3250 - 3300 lbs. I really doubt that the 3/4Ton Dodge, or any other 3/4T truck is going to have the payload capacity for that kind of load. There are a lot of other numbers to consider, but I'll keep this kind of brief. In my opinion you are clearly into the 1Ton truck range and probably better off with a Dually.

ctbruce
07-15-2017, 04:14 AM
Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! Glad you're here!

You're not the first one to buy a new trailer and then ask if it's ok weight-wise with your current truck. You won't be the last either! [emoji16]

Go out and look at the sticker on your truck door post. It lists the payload available for your specific truck. No advertising gimmicks like in an advertising brochure. That's the number you need to be under and included in that number is anything other than the driver and a full tank of gas: DW, DK, DD, (wife, kid, dog) hitch, wood, and anything else carried in the truck or truck bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

JimQ
07-15-2017, 04:32 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Montana!

Canonman
07-15-2017, 04:55 AM
Welcome Eddie from your neighbors to the east, We also tow a fifth wheel with our Ram 2500. Albeit a significantly smaller Cougar. We love the camping experience and travel often. I grew up in LV and I'm guessing you're probably looking to use the new Montana to escape the heat. If I can be any help suggesting places to visit, routes or activities just ask.
Enjoy your new outfit and happy camping:cool:

notanlines
07-15-2017, 05:14 AM
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new purchase (a very nice RV indeed) and also congrats on asking the most hotly debated question on all forums with this type.
I looked at three 362RD's on line and they averaged about 2700 pounds of pin weight. Your 2500 probably has a cargo capacity of about 22-2400 pounds. Take your 2700 pounds and add what Chip mentioned:
5v'er hitch, 200 lbs,
you, wife, kids, dog, 700 lbs,
diesel fuel and miscellaneous luggage 300 lbs
Realize now that I'm just speculating but you have entered the maximum of most SRW one tons and probably into the dually range. With careful configuration (storing the dog and wife for instance in the back of the trailer:eek:) and you'll do okay with most high range SRW 350/3500's.
I'm not berating you for your choice. You asked and we answered. There are many on this site who haul way overloaded, most do not.
Nonetheless, welcome to the forum. We're glad you're here.