PDA

View Full Version : A warning if you've got a Camco 50 amp replacement male plug

WaltBennett
07-14-2017, 03:10 PM
Nothing wrong with the Camco product itself, BUT if you aren't careful about not just securing the strain relief part, AND watching to see if the outer sheath pulls out, you are looking for the same problems I've had. I replaced my original plug about three years back and the Camco plug worked fine until a week ago. My fault entirely for not checking it out, but the anaconda jacket must have shrunk a bit and pulled out of the clamp. This left all the weight of the cable on the screw connectors inside the plug, and the cables one by one pulled loose (save the ground). While the damage could have been really catastrophic, I had surge protectors on all the entertainment equipment (40" tv, Blu-ray, surround sound, Dish receiver) and only those surge guys fried. The AC, hot water heater, refer are all fine. The microwave is the only thing that will need work, and since it's really an LG with a Dometic label, I can get parts.

Bottom line, the strain relief clamp MUST be tight on the outer jacket of your anaconda cable or you're going to have a lot of trouble.