PDA

View Full Version : Switch Wiring Heat

WeimDaddy
07-12-2017, 09:36 AM
First time post and new member here. I have learned alot from the forum since we bought our first TT about a month ago. Its an 07 Outback 28KRS. Im needing some advice on a wiring problem for light switch that runs porch and flood and ceiling lights.
None of those were working so after going through the fuses and seeing all were good I pulled the switch and low and behold.... The white wire that loops 2 of the switches together had come out of the connector! I put it back in and boom, everything works (to much applause by the wife) i save the day again.
Now for the confusing part. See pictures to notice where the wire crimps into the connector had gotten hot enough to burn the jacket and as soon as turned the switch on after putting the wire in it started to get very hot again. There is green corrosion all over those two wires. Could a poor connection have caused the corrosion and eventually the heat? So all i would need is to clean them up and rewire that connection to be good? The heat feels concentrated in that one area.

xrated
07-12-2017, 01:51 PM
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the connection that has the problem, doesn't look like it was crimped with enough force to make a solid connection. A loose connection will certainly cause overheating as the current flow is through a smaller surface area, rather than spreading it out over the entire connector where the wires are fitting into. I would re-wire that connection, using the correct size wire and of course a new spade connector. Once complete, DO NOT put the switch back in place just yet. Turn on the switches and monitor how hot things get. If your trailer doesn't have LED bulbs for those lights, it might be something that you want to consider also. At any rate, turn all the stuff on and monitor the temperatures for at least 10 to 15 minutes to see if things get hot. Hopefully you have found the problem. When you make the repair, make sure to use new wire, a new connector, and put a very good/hard crimp on it. If it still overheats, you may have too much on the one circuit that feed the switches.