PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control While Towing?

DorothynJon
07-10-2017, 06:30 PM
My 2015 Ram 3500 HD DRW 6.7L Turbo Diesel is my first diesel vehicle. We just got the truck a few months ago, along with our Hideout 5th Wheel. Off the wall question: Is there a danger to using the cruise control while towing? Am I going to tear something up/damage something? Even loaded, the 5er weighs less than half the towing capacity of the truck. Thanks in advance!

gearhead
07-10-2017, 06:34 PM
I have done it where it's safe. Long flat interstates, not much traffic, etc.

sourdough
07-10-2017, 06:38 PM
You can use the cruise and not damage anything. I don't, many do. When towing you need all the help you can get in an emergency situation. Using cruise slows all that down IMO. If you see disaster in front of you, hopefully you have had your brake foot poised and can hit it; even then it takes a moment for everything to kick in and your trailer to activate the brakes. When you're using cruise it takes considerably longer; the cruise has to let go then the brakes activate. These are just my thoughts and reasons for not using it; I know others will disagree but those are my thoughts.

66joej
07-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Don't use mine. Feel more in control as we use a Ram 1500 as a tow vehicle. Not over loaded or over payload. JMO

chuckster57
07-10-2017, 06:41 PM
I used cruise control once years ago. Felt myself getting too complacent behind the wheel. Don't use it now, but have no issues with those that do.

FTWingRiders
07-10-2017, 06:52 PM
I will when prudent, just to give the right foot a shake or two or longer when I can.

JRTJH
07-10-2017, 06:52 PM
On the open road I use it, when in traffic or on a crowded interstate, I turn it off. As for damaging something, I don't think you'd need to worry about that. If the transmission starts "hunting" or downshifting/upshifting frequently, you might want to downshift one gear and use your foot. About the only time I've had that happen was climbing overpasses with a gas truck, but I suppose it could happen with a diesel under the right circumstances.

the sodfather
07-10-2017, 07:02 PM
I'll use it on flat desolate roads. When I get in any sort of traffic, off it goes. Never in hills. When I use it, my fuel economy drops 1-1.5 mpg.

Ken / Claudia
07-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Open road,(freeway or highway) light traffic yes, I use it then. With my trailer in tow I have tested the CC on uphill grades. Short hills it will keep truck at 60-65. The big grades I just turn it off.

Desert185
07-10-2017, 09:24 PM
I use mine whenever I can when not in the mountains or moderately heavy traffic. I have to watch EGT on my truck and since I have a stick, it has to be off when shifting to another gear.

Mikesamoose
07-10-2017, 09:54 PM
I use it when ever I can. I tend to have a lead foot and it helps me behave. I don't use it in traffic or on windy roads. I haven't noticed it work the truck harder or cause any issue with the trandmission. In fact in the tow/haul mode it will hold downhill speeds better than me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

xrated
07-10-2017, 11:55 PM
This thread kind of reminds me of another thread that was started several days ago...."If You've Got It.....Use It"! The difference in responses though, on this one, I use it...as much as I can! I mean, why have it and not use it. I paid for it....it's not like I'm going to get more money out of my truck when I sell it because it's not been used. For Sale....15 year old truck.....Cruise Control Never Used! :lol: :hornets: :bdance:

Harleydodge
07-11-2017, 02:15 AM
I have it and use it when I feel it's safe to do so.
Keeping my speed in check and giving my leg/foot a break are the main reasons for me.
I keep my right thumb resting on the "cancel" button. If pressed, the exhaust brake and transmission do a great job of slowing us down.

{tpc}
07-11-2017, 04:18 AM
When I know the road ahead is flat, and it feels safe to do so, I will use the cruise. For me I actually am more steady when using it than when not, as I don't have to fool with the gas and the wheel at that point. But when its bad traffic or going up and down hills, I don't use it, because it "hunts" for the right gear too much.

My truck isn't a huge fan of dropping into second and high revving because I dropped from 60 mph to 55...lol.

bsmith0404
07-11-2017, 04:25 AM
Use it whenever I can. Like others I don't use it in situations when it wouldn't make sense, like around town or in heavy traffic where speed isn't a constant. I don't use it in he mountains.

the sodfather
07-11-2017, 06:05 AM
This thread kind of reminds me of another thread that was started several days ago...."If You've Got It.....Use It"! The difference in responses though, on this one, I use it...as much as I can! I mean, why have it and not use it. I paid for it....it's not like I'm going to get more money out of my truck when I sell it because it's not been used. For Sale....15 year old truck.....Cruise Control Never Used! :lol: :hornets: :bdance:

Very true. BUT... There are a lot of good deals out there on cars with brand new blinkers!;)

xrated
07-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Very true. BUT... There are a lot of good deals out there on cars with brand new blinkers!;)

Ain't that the truth! And there are a lot of highways that have an almost new right lane.....because all the "slow rollers" are in the passing lane. :banghead:

B-O-B'03
07-11-2017, 08:38 AM
I use mine whenever I can when not in the mountains or moderately heavy traffic. I have to watch EGT on my truck and since I have a stick, it has to be off when shifting to another gear.

Does the cruise control not disengage when the clutch is pushed in?

It does on my 2003 Cobra... not sure how Dodge trucks work.

Ain't that the truth! And there are a lot of highways that have an almost new right lane.....because all the "slow rollers" are in the passing lane. :banghead:

Yep, with all the signs like "Left lane for passing only", "Slower traffic keep right", etc... not sure why it is so difficult for people to figure out... entitlement mentality I suppose.

Maybe if the highway patrol focused on fixing that, there would be less road rage incidents?

A $500 ticket might get the point across.

-Brian

Desert185
07-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Does the cruise control not disengage when the clutch is pushed in?

It does on my 2003 Cobra... not sure how Dodge trucks work.

-Brian

Older truck, so I guess not. If I plan to do a fair amount of shifting the cruise control doesn't get used, anyway, so not a big deal.

I like the fact that there are minimal whistles and bells. Less stuff to fail. The truck just reliably plugs along. 329,000 miles and counting. :thumbsup:

B-O-B'03
07-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Older truck, so I guess not. If I plan to do a fair amount of shifting the cruise control doesn't get used, anyway, so not a big deal.

I like the fact that there are minimal whistles and bells. Less stuff to fail. The truck just reliably plugs along. 329,000 miles and counting. :thumbsup:

Very nice :thumbsup:

The Cobra with be 15 in Sept, also low frills... it does have power windows and an in-dash, 6 CD changer + a sweet motor, that stock put 409 HP, 392 FT-LB to the tires... :bow: under 80K miles though... Just my dry weather baby :)

-Brian

theeyres
07-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Use it whenever I can. It helps me stay alert when I concentrate on the road instead of my foot.

Desert185
07-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Very nice :thumbsup:

The Cobra with be 15 in Sept, also low frills... it does have power windows and an in-dash, 6 CD changer + a sweet motor, that stock put 409 HP, 392 FT-LB to the tires... :bow: under 80K miles though... Just my dry weather baby :)

-Brian

Nice! My wife always wanted a Cobra.

captcolour
07-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Use it all the time when safe to do so.

Johnny's Journey
07-11-2017, 05:46 PM
I used it on my new unit that's larger than anything I've towed before in SIZE. Didn't like it. As other's have said you have more control not using it.

linux3
07-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Use it whenever I can. It helps me stay alert when I concentrate on the road instead of my foot.

Me too. Eyes on the road and I know my speed is correct.

jsmith948
07-12-2017, 05:07 AM
Use ours as much as we can (our Ford is SO POWERFUL that it will run away with us like a stampeding horse :whistling:). However, in rolling hills and/or curving mountain roads, I think it is better left off. I can anticipate the next upgrade/curve earlier than the computer can. Like any other tool, if you have it, why not use it?:)

SummitPond
07-12-2017, 05:50 AM
Use ours as much as we can [...] However, in rolling hills and/or curving mountain roads, I think it is better left off. I can anticipate the next upgrade/curve earlier than the computer can. Like any other tool, if you have it, why not use it?:)

This sounds like how we use it, too. Although, going down a steep mountain grade it proves its worth; in tow haul mode it does a great job of keeping a reasonable speed (due to downshifting) without having to pump or ride the brakes. The speed can be fine-tuned with the cruise +/- control.

cardinal96ss
07-12-2017, 06:08 AM
2 x ShacterShack. Exactly how and why we use ours. Always with caution though.

SummitPond
07-12-2017, 06:38 AM
... Always with caution though.

Oh yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsmith0404
07-12-2017, 07:30 AM
Ahhhh, the beauty of an exhaust brake. In trucks that don't have one, the cruise control will use the transmission and downshift to control the speed
For trucks that have the exhaust brake, it will do the same thing, but use the exhaust brake in combination with the transmission to maintain speed. Additionally, trucks with the exhaust brake will act in the same fashion if the cruise is not being used. A tap of the brake will tell the computer what speed to hold and it will then use the exhaust brake and transmission to maintain, just like when the cruise control is being used. No riding the brake to maintain speed.

Stircrazy
07-13-2017, 08:11 PM
read the owners manual, I know for my 14 super duty the tow haul mode work in conjunction with the cruse control to run the brake (turbo) and trans to maintain speed going down hill. the manual actually says to use the regular mode and cruse and not tow haul when out of the hills to increase the mileage.

Steve

Outback 325BH
07-14-2017, 04:21 AM
My truck's cruise control works with tow/haul. It also works when restricting the gears with +/-... which comes in handy. I restrict my transmission to 4th or 5th a lot while towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert185
07-14-2017, 08:10 AM
I don't understand all the "caution" comments. If you're using the cruise control to slow or stop, if you have time hit the off button. If you have to stop NOW, hit the brakes like normal and the CC will turn off. Right?

So what is the concern?

JRTJH
07-14-2017, 09:58 AM
I don't understand all the "caution" comments. If you're using the cruise control to slow or stop, if you have time hit the off button. If you have to stop NOW, hit the brakes like normal and the CC will turn off. Right?

So what is the concern?

METHINKS maybe the concern is using cruise control like autopilot... You know, getting up to fill the popcorn bowl while on the interstate with the cruise set to 65MPH.....:popcorn: :whistling: Some say as long as you're in the same room it's OK others say going to the bathroom (if you use your RV toilet) but not as far as the bedroom...... :ermm:

Desert185
07-14-2017, 11:29 AM
METHINKS maybe the concern is using cruise control like autopilot... You know, getting up to fill the popcorn bowl while on the interstate with the cruise set to 65MPH.....:popcorn: :whistling: Some say as long as you're in the same room it's OK others say going to the bathroom (if you use your RV toilet) but not as far as the bedroom...... :ermm:

I can't imagine anyone on this forum thinking that is one of the purposes of cruise control. :facepalm:

I could be wrong, though. :confused:

xrated
07-14-2017, 12:22 PM
I can't imagine anyone on this forum thinking that is one of the purposes of cruise control. :facepalm:

I could be wrong, though. :confused:

I made up a saying several years ago, and it goes like this....

"Just remember, we are not only surrounded by idiots, we are most likely Outnumbered". The possibility exists.

Javi
07-14-2017, 12:32 PM
My dad used to say... life is a series of tests designed to thin the herd... :D

xrated
07-14-2017, 01:08 PM

Your Dad was a wise and insightful man......so much truth there!

Johnny's Journey
07-14-2017, 05:21 PM
My truck's cruise control works with tow/haul. It also works when restricting the gears with +/-... which comes in handy. I restrict my transmission to 4th or 5th a lot while towing.GM product, correct ? If yes 6.2 with 3:73's ? My 5.3 only comes with 3:42's as being the shortest gear and I have to stay in 4th gear which the last gear (but not a full 1:1 ratio) before the OD's come in.

the sodfather
07-14-2017, 05:36 PM
This is when I use it...

Barbell
07-14-2017, 06:25 PM
I use cruise almost all the time. '16 3500 CTD w/Asian. Towing a Montana total weight 24,000 m/l. Transmission temp never gets above 165 unless in stop and go, so no reason to lock out 6th gear. Cruise, tow/haul and exhaust brake makes this truck almost drive itself. Just so you know, I spent many years driving a variety of trucks; straight, semis and PUs pulling stock, grain and fertilizer trailers, so this ain't my first rodeo. This truck is smarter than I and most of you so let it do its thing.

B-O-B'03
07-14-2017, 06:49 PM

Unfortunately, we are legislating away the consequences of stupidity and seem to be encouraging it :facepalm:

They are out there, out breeding us and winning.

-Brian

Desert185
07-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Unfortunately, we are legislating away the consequences of stupidity and seem to be encouraging it :facepalm:

They are out there, out breeding us and winning.

-Brian

Unfortunately, you are correct. Sad state of affairs...

pawpaw
07-16-2017, 04:50 PM
I use the cruise in not so congested areas(if's that's possible) open hwy with a speed limit of 70 I'll set it at 63 to 65 mph and let the faster traffic pass me by. I use the tow haul mode and use the engine brake in case I have to slow down in a hurry. I'm retired an not in a big hurry anyway!

Rusty
07-19-2017, 07:04 AM
Mark me up as one of those that doesn't use it, even though we hauled from Calgary to Quebec City last summer, over 9,000 k, not once did I use it.

With the tow haul mode and the exhaust brake I feel a lot more comfortable old school peddling works for me, as a matter of fact I rarely use it when not towing as well.

As was mentioned earlier in the post infind you get complacent!

My son just got a brand new VW Gulf, it has lane tracking, and accident avoidance (believe that's what it's called) it takes over the steering and braking, scares the bejeebers out if this guy!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk